or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 728

post #10906 of 18710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post


My black Timpson Royals - 1969 - were bought from the shop on Market Street in Manchester for £7-15s - they ended up like 'gunboats'.

So many soles, it was like walking in wooden clogs. (Not sure where they went but I definitely don't have them tucked away.) musicboohoo[1].gif

A few pages back I posted about seeing Royals in 1970-ish in Saxones north of Manchester. But Ed, you've reminded me - it wasn't Saxones at all. As you say, it was Timpson (big sign over the door "Smart Shoes"). There were 3 styles in what they sold as "The Royal Collection" : brogue (long wingtip), loafer (tassel & heelbar) and oxford (toecap). They were available in black and oxblood, apart from the oxford which I think was only in black. I couldn't remember the price but I knew they were too dear for me. I thought that all shoes in the "collection" had a 3 gold lion logo inside. But maybe my memory is out on that like it was about which shoe shop sold them? And maybe as Flyfronted said it was Timpsons who manufactured the Ivy shop Royals? It is a few years back now.

post #10907 of 18710
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post

A few pages back I posted about seeing Royals in 1970-ish in Saxones north of Manchester. But Ed, you've reminded me - it wasn't Saxones at all. As you say, it was Timpson (big sign over the door "Smart Shoes"). There were 3 styles in what they sold as "The Royal Collection" : brogue (long wingtip), loafer (tassel & heelbar) and oxford (toecap). They were available in black and oxblood, apart from the oxford which I think was only in black.
I couldn't remember the price but I knew they were too dear for me. I thought that all shoes in the "collection" had a 3 gold lion logo inside. But maybe my memory is out on that like it was about which shoe shop sold them? And maybe as Flyfronted said it was Timpsons who manufactured the Ivy shop Royals? It is a few years back now.


Royals came in Plain Caps, Oxblood& Black, These was worn by Skinheads before Brogues, The double long wingtip Brogue , Ox blood & Black, Gibsons, only in Black, Tassel Loathers and Fringe Tassel loathers, not sure if they came in both colours although i had Ox Blood Tassel Loather, and a black Tassel fringe Loather..,Some people say they was made by Timpsons..the thing is they could have been made by any shoemaker that Timpsons had subcontracted out, For example the Ralph Lauren Dalton Brogue is made by Crockett & Jones
.
Like the explanation that the Royals may have been made for the American market, being long tip makes sense,smile.gif

As was said they had the Three Lions on the insole as illustrated by the photo of Brownji Royals Plaincap









Edited by Lasttye - 2/28/13 at 1:59pm
post #10908 of 18710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post

what with all the pages this thread has gone thru, i dont remember if these were ever talked about. def not traditional skinhead footwear, but I seem to recall reading someplace on another site, that some skinheads wore this type of French worker shoe??? Pictured is the Paraboot "Michael". imo ugly as sin, but there's something oddly attractive about them, being so ugly


CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

Ok,I will make an admission here.I have Shoes like this(and they are bloody comfortable).Not Skinhead but what the hell!!!!smile.gif Good to see you back Get Smart.
post #10909 of 18710

Funny thing we're still talking about shoes in general, and brogues in particular. I was going to a workplace visit with my union chairman yesterday, stepped in a great pool of snow/water sludge, and wouldn't you know it, my old shoes took in water like titanic, holes in the soles. Thats what i get for dressing when i'm tired and while struggling with a 1.5 yr old daughter.

 

So i did the only reasonable thing to do in a situation like that, i dived into a adjacent mens shoe store, bought a pair of clarks brogues. Not real longwings, royal style, but nontheless i thought they looked quite nice, and not entirely far out pricewise.

 

post #10910 of 18710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerk View Post

Funny thing we're still talking about shoes in general, and brogues in particular. I was going to a workplace visit with my union chairman yesterday, stepped in a great pool of snow/water sludge, and wouldn't you know it, my old shoes took in water like titanic, holes in the soles. Thats what i get for dressing when i'm tired and while struggling with a 1.5 yr old daughter.

So i did the only reasonable thing to do in a situation like that, i dived into a adjacent mens shoe store, bought a pair of clarks brogues. Not real longwings, royal style, but nontheless i thought they looked quite nice, and not entirely far out pricewise.



They were similar to what was worn-pre "Royal" Days,Lerk.Make the Bulbous Toe a little wider and that was the Shape that came out-after Solatoes became popular.
post #10911 of 18710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post

what with all the pages this thread has gone thru, i dont remember if these were ever talked about. def not traditional skinhead footwear, but I seem to recall reading someplace on another site, that some skinheads wore this type of French worker shoe??? Pictured is the Paraboot "Michael". imo ugly as sin, but there's something oddly attractive about them, being so ugly


CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

These Paraboot shoes were big with post-Casual dressers who had moved on to the Paninaro  style after 1985. Great quality, but can't remember exactly how much they were...expensive though. These would be worn with the first wave of Stone Island, Chipie and Chevignon garments (and other similar garb). I like 'em : )

post #10912 of 18710
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post


That may well be the case. I'm sure you'll find all kinds of secrets if you dig down a bit.
Like the ready meals you buy that say made in England - half the time, they're made somewhere like Rumania, then they come to England, we add the salt and stir it a bit, then slap a UJ sticker on it.

The further you go back, the better the quality, I'm assuming, but where the boundaries lie would be very difficult to find.

That's very true. Even John Lewis were found out doing that with their 'Made in England' suits a few years back. (I think the buttons were sewn on here or something).

post #10913 of 18710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

My black Timpson Royals - 1969 - were bought from the shop on Market Street in Manchester for £7-15s - they ended up like 'gunboats'.

So many soles, it was like walking in wooden clogs. (Not sure where they went but I definitely don't have them tucked away.) musicboohoo[1].gif

Overcharged Ed smile.gif.In Timpsons they were £7/7s.Mind you,in the Ivy/Squire Shop £8+,I think later(when they became more popular)£9+.John Simons always knew how to make a bob or two.sly.gif
post #10914 of 18710
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

Overcharged Ed smile.gif.In Timpsons they were £7/7s.Mind you,in the Ivy/Squire Shop £8+,I think later(when they became more popular)£9+.John Simons always knew how to make a bob or two.sly.gif
You know, I think you are wrong, too - it was £7-7s-6d!!!happy.gif

I think when 'we' went decimal, they became £7.75 - but I struggle to remember yesterday, sometimes. satisfied.gif
post #10915 of 18710

I've enjoyed reading about the 'Royals' or 'Smooths' as we used to call them. It is the one shoe back in 69/70 that I didn't have and always wanted.I had to choose between Royals, American Brogues and Bass Weejuns. I could only afford 2/3 and I choose Brogues and Loafers.Our source of shoes was Blackmanns in Brick lane and the Squire Shop, Soho. One reason was that a few of my mates already had the Royals so to be one step ahead I went for Brogues. It was the same for me regarding Sheepskins. Two of my mates got in early and bought Sheepskins. I wanted one but decided to go for a real Crombie to gain another step ahead of my mates. We always tried to lead rather than follow and there was a lot of oneupmanship even, or especially, amongst mates.When we saw a mate wearing something new we usually just gave a nod of approval and didn't make too much fuss except maybe to ask what shop he used.

post #10916 of 18710

As has become obvious from postings on this site from the 'originals' the Dr Marten boot formed a small part of the footwear we used. There was so much more to the clothes at that time than has been portrayed in the media at the time and since.

post #10917 of 18710

Long time reader, first time poster. Great thread everyone.

 

Wondering if anyone had any success using any of the "internet tailors" or traveling shirtmakers in getting good shirts made. My Tailor/Modern Tailor/Jantzen/Etc.

 

Trying to find a proper shirt solution.

 

Jump The Gun has good patterns and awesome service (love their Harringtons), but lots of poly cotton and some of the fabrics are pretty flimsy. I like them for what they are but at $100+ to get them stateside, they don’t match the cost.

 

Mikkel Rude, also poly cotton, find the collars a bit silly and don’t like that the pocket isn’t pattern matched.

 

DNA groove I haven’t tried, the collars are too gigantic for me.

 

So I was thinking for the cost of importing shirts by many of these cult focused shops, I could probably get a shirt made with all the details for the same price or less. But I know many shirt makers are limited in what they can do (or just stubborn). So anyone have a good experience getting shirts made in “the style”? Nice three finger button down, back collar button, sewn in pleat, good selection of checks/gingham/oxfords/stripes/etc?

 

Thanks for any suggestions.

post #10918 of 18710

Also anyone have any experience with Woolovers.com for knitwear?

post #10919 of 18710

Did you guys ever get the Iron Age Safety Shoe made by Bostonian there? They were essentially an american brogue with a steel toe.

post #10920 of 18710
Quote:
Originally Posted by idntfs View Post

Long time reader, first time poster. Great thread everyone.

Wondering if anyone had any success using any of the "internet tailors" or traveling shirtmakers in getting good shirts made. My Tailor/Modern Tailor/Jantzen/Etc.

Trying to find a proper shirt solution.

Jump The Gun has good patterns and awesome service (love their Harringtons), but lots of poly cotton and some of the fabrics are pretty flimsy. I like them for what they are but at $100+ to get them stateside, they don’t match the cost.

Mikkel Rude, also poly cotton, find the collars a bit silly and don’t like that the pocket isn’t pattern matched.

DNA groove I haven’t tried, the collars are too gigantic for me.

So I was thinking for the cost of importing shirts by many of these cult focused shops, I could probably get a shirt made with all the details for the same price or less. But I know many shirt makers are limited in what they can do (or just stubborn). So anyone have a good experience getting shirts made in “the style”? Nice three finger button down, back collar button, sewn in pleat, good selection of checks/gingham/oxfords/stripes/etc?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Personally I like the JTG shirts and well worth the price of shipping it across the pond.

I've never had a shirt custom made, but I would imagine its time consuming and its costly. The askmen site advertised that you can get a custom made shirt for $50 http://acquire.askmen.com/deal/11195/custom-fitted-shirt-and-better-man-extras. Unfortunately the offer ended.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead