or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 717

post #10741 of 18630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post

 We are probably straying from this sites' Skinhead theme and the clothes, but maybe not. I reckon many of the 15/16 year old skinheads in 68/69 were in small gangs when they were 10/11 years old. We used to fight with rival schools, rival streets and even the top and bottom ends of the same street. School football matches sometimes ended in fights. Most of this went on without the parents having a clue. At 12 years old I wanted an air rifle or pistol just like one of my mates. Dad said no, thank God. He did buy me a metal toy crossbow that came with wooden arrows and a rubber stopper end. Within a day the rubber was removed and I was sharpening the wooden arrows ready for the enemy. Looking back I can't believe the young me and I was no different to all my mates.We were wild.

This "Straying" as you say,I think is good for M.O.M.'s book.Great stuff guys.I see this as my contribution,ask dumb questions and see where you guys go wit it.There does seem to be a large surplus of Military gear and I imagine after WW2 They wanted to make a little cash back.The Gas Mask Lunch Box.When they gonna bring it back?

post #10742 of 18630

Thinking of the old gas Mask 'school' bag has now brought back vivid memories of around the 12 / 13 years of age and going to the ex Army Surplus store at Woolwich to buy the fishtailed ex US Army Parka.  These were not the modern quilt lined parkas of today. 

 

They were 2nd hand with a green outer layer (that let rain through) and they had a white blanket liner held in with a few buttons that looked as if it had been cut and styled by a blind tailor.  They had the US Army logo on the front.  To us they were the height of fashion

 

We would wear these over our blue nylon zipper jackets with our only one pair of Levis and cherry red commando boots / monkey boots.  we thought we were the dogs'  Some older lads would sometimes give us a lift on the back of their Lambrettas SX 200 scooters and to lay back on the 'springy' back rests with your hands tucked in the breast pockets - you thought you were in heaven and only hoped that your mates or girls had seen you so you could impress!!

 

Oh to be a Mod - if only we could have been older at the time.  But we became skinheads - no regrets

 

I cant even think if there are still any genuine ex army surplus stores about now - the likes of Millets did not count.  If they were the clothes would be too small anyway!!

post #10743 of 18630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post

 We are probably straying from this sites' Skinhead theme and the clothes, but maybe not. I reckon many of the 15/16 year old skinheads in 68/69 were in small gangs when they were 10/11 years old. We used to fight with rival schools, rival streets and even the top and bottom ends of the same street. School football matches sometimes ended in fights. Most of this went on without the parents having a clue. At 12 years old I wanted an air rifle or pistol just like one of my mates. Dad said no, thank God. He did buy me a metal toy crossbow that came with wooden arrows and a rubber stopper end. Within a day the rubber was removed and I was sharpening the wooden arrows ready for the enemy. Looking back I can't believe the young me and I was no different to all my mates.We were wild.

Brings back memories B the B, We made Bows and Arrows, Dutch Arrows, We had Gat Guns, Played on Bomb Sites we would be gone all day in the school holidays, Back then their was always someone with a broken Leg or Arm or a eye patch, Kids was always getting hurt or sick, Kids with snot hanging off their nose, A few of us got killed in accidents,
We was obsessed with the War, played war games..no one wanted to be a German, We was always making fires on Bomb Site one lad but a live round on the fire ..it went off and shot a lad in the leg lol.
Yes we had Gangs and would fight kids from around the corner or another School...it was a training ground for us future Skinheads, Happy days smile.gif
post #10744 of 18630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post


Brings back memories B the B, We made Bows and Arrows, Dutch Arrows, We had Gat Guns, Played on Bomb Sites we would be gone all day in the school holidays, Back then their was always someone with a broken Leg or Arm or a eye patch, Kids was always getting hurt or sick, Kids with snot hanging off their nose, A few of us got killed in accidents,
We was obsessed with the War, played war games..no one wanted to be a German, We was always making fires on Bomb Site one lad but a live round on the fire ..it went off and shot a lad in the leg lol.
Yes we had Gangs and would fight kids from around the corner or another School...it was a training ground for us future Skinheads, Happy days smile.gif

 

Yes we made real bows and arrows from branches and string that works with sharpened arrows. you are quite right there was always some kid with plaster of Paris on his arm or leg. 

 

We also experimented with fireworks and opening up 'bangers' to make our own fireworks - we were lucky no one got seriously injured.  H&S would have a fit now.  Also remember getting .22 shells in a vice and hitting with a center punch and hammer in your Dads shed and cheering at the bang and any one not taking part was branded a coward.

 

When we were youngsters it was only 20 odd years after WW11 and the war still played a part in our lives because it had had such an effect on our parents so these things are passed on down the line.

 

Great childhood though - much better our kids or grand kids with computer games etc as ours was real

post #10745 of 18630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and Eights View Post

Thinking of the old gas Mask 'school' bag has now brought back vivid memories of around the 12 / 13 years of age and going to the ex Army Surplus store at Woolwich to buy the fishtailed ex US Army Parka.  These were not the modern quilt lined parkas of today. 

 

They were 2nd hand with a green outer layer (that let rain through) and they had a white blanket liner held in with a few buttons that looked as if it had been cut and styled by a blind tailor.  They had the US Army logo on the front.  To us they were the height of fashion

 


 

You guys seemed to have got the older M-51 Field Jacket but the more common one in the states is the later M-65 Field Jacket, the one you describe is the lighter version but they also had a heavier one more in line with the M-65 Field Jacket.

post #10746 of 18630
... and everyone's folks knew of a youngster who'd lost an eye to the catapults/air guns/bows and arrows - but I never saw too many one-eyed kids.

And who decided when bows and arrows were old hat and it was airgun/throwing knives season? smile.gif
post #10747 of 18630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirryacus View Post

You guys seemed to have got the older M-51 Field Jacket but the more common one in the states is the later M-65 Field Jacket, the one you describe is the lighter version but they also had a heavier one more in line with the M-65 Field Jacket.

I am afraid your links are not the correct photos of what I am describing. They were long coats with hoods and blanket linings not a jacket.  They were what the Mods wore over their suits / good clothing for protection and then rolled up and left on their scooters when they went in the pubs and clubs

 

Examples below

 

 

post #10748 of 18630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

... and everyone's folks knew of a youngster who'd lost an eye to the catapults/air guns/bows and arrows - but I never saw too many one-eyed kids.

 

Usually the one eyed kid also had his arm and leg in plaster and was known by the name of 'Lucky'

post #10749 of 18630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and Eights View Post

I am afraid your links are not the correct photos of what I am describing. They were long coats with hoods and blanket linings not a jacket.  They were what the Mods wore over their suits / good clothing for protection and then rolled up and left on their scooters when they went in the pubs and clubs

 

I didn't post any photos so I don't know what the hell you are talking about, the fish tail parka is a M-51 Field Jacket I don't care if you don't call it a jacket it is still a M-51 Field Jacket and there are different versions the one you showed is one of them but there also many others.

post #10750 of 18630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post

Sirryacus, Kiwi polish has always been a standard shoe polish in the UK. Nothing too expensive and generally does the job.

got this package of shoe polish as a present from a former skinhead who used to have his own shoe repair shop over here...
and especially the shoeboys polish is way better than kiwi or any other shoe polish i used before...

post #10751 of 18630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

... and everyone's folks knew of a youngster who'd lost an eye to the catapults/air guns/bows and arrows - but I never saw too many one-eyed kids.

And who decided when bows and arrows were old hat and it was airgun/throwing knives season? smile.gif

Ed my Brothers mate lost an eye due to a home made bow and arrow,, Also i remember launching a Dutch Arrow over the Park ..it landed one inch next to a blokes head sunbathing, I watched the arrow come down in silence, thinking if i shouted it would hit him, Fcuking shit myself and run all the way home ,smile.gif
post #10752 of 18630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and Eights View Post

I am afraid your links are not the correct photos of what I am describing. They were long coats with hoods and blanket linings not a jacket.  They were what the Mods wore over their suits / good clothing for protection and then rolled up and left on their scooters when they went in the pubs and clubs

 

Examples below

 

 

Thats like the Fishtail I saw at the surplus the other day.It's 28$ and the hood(which buttons on)is about 5 $ I never had one but am considering it for aesthitic reasons,I've got a modern Green Camo Nylon parka(130$ I got mine for 20$)It was discontinued when they converted to the Desert Camo.It is more utilitarian than the one above(wind proof,waterproof)But the Fishtail above is cheap enough to buy for its looks and style.Wouldn't paint the Who or the Jam on the back though.Almost took my younger brothers eye out with a homemade bow and arrow and was so upset I never played with them around other people again.

post #10753 of 18630

The much more common M-65 can be had for about 10 dollars where I live yankmod but obviously its not what the mod's used but I'm sure you are more than familiar with it being in the punk and indie scenes in the 80's.

post #10754 of 18630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirryacus View Post

The much more common M-65 can be had for about 10 dollars where I live yankmod but obviously its not what the mod's used but I'm sure you are more than familiar with it being in the punk and indie scenes in the 80's.

Indeed Sirryacus.We had them all.The jungle greens (thanks to Paul Simonon)The Army shirt and the M-65.Amazon is selling the M-65 for 70 to 80 bucks.For the Suckers.My ex-Wife didn't use a purse,she had the Army Bag(w/ the strap) and DM brogues.She was way cool.

post #10755 of 18630
In the 50s(when I was a Kid)you still had a lot of things left over from the War.The Bags I remember well.When I was young,Millets did a version of it as a Picnic Set-complete with Plastic Cups,Plates etc,ours got a lot of use out of it.The Bomb Sites ,being our Playground, were great fun,Nobody worried about grazing their Knee or anything.If you went home crying, you probably get a whack from your Mum"I told you to stay away from the Bomb Sites".You always went back though.I considered myself lucky because I still had Mum`s old Gas Mask(still remember puitting that on) and an old Steel Helmet to play with.Rationing was still on,on some Products(in the mid 50s)so not everything was easily bouight.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead