Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:34 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 9:09 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Mod to Suedehead - Page 706post #10576 of 206472/12/13 at 11:15pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #10577 of 206472/13/13 at 2:08ampost #10578 of 206472/13/13 at 2:12amQuote:Originally Posted by Botolph
I know a fella named Ian Hough("huff") from the Merseyside area who grew up with other lads that claim to have been "Perry Boys". His book is called the same. They were an outgrowth of a mixture of subcultures, though they seem to have been influenced mostly by the Mod revival and early on called themselves mods for lack of a better term. They're saying that they're the progenitors of the unnamed youth cult dubbed "casuals" by the media.
The whole "Perry Boys" name had to do with the idea that, at least in their area, they were the first new cult to unbutton the top button of their Fred Perrys, and have an identifiable "look".
Not sure if the book is still in print but it was popular with casuals/dressers.
Perry Boys by Ian Hough.
ALL teenage school boys wore Fred Perry , Slazenger , Pods , Adidas T shirts in the late 70s - all over the country it was the bog standard look . Trying to make a cult out of cheap high st clobber your mum brought you is silly .post #10579 of 206472/13/13 at 3:32am
sadly got no pics from my skinhead days, arent digi cameras or even better mobile phones fantastic, in my minds eye I can still recall those magal moments but no pics for posterity.
Dug out my original Doc Marts the other day looking unloved in garage, thinking seriously about polishing them up to Rasss and then putting them inside a glass case in dining room.
It was such a spectacularly fullfilling part of my life & I learnt so many life skills during that period!
Keep[ Right On & Keep the Faith!post #10580 of 206472/13/13 at 3:41amQuote:Originally Posted by Watermelon man
Back to the new Baractuta owners. Ignore the outrageous prices for the moment (almost double the price, just for a (long overdue) better-quality zip and new 'technical' lining (whatever that means).
There's a PDF file that you can download from the new site (here: http://www.baracuta.com/history.html ). Does anyone recognise one of the people on page 13?
Yet another bunch of shysters that are messing with a 'heritage brand'. For many years changes to the design of the jackets was minimal and now they have a 2013 Collection? What a joke. All the people in the promo video were wearing the new product and not their own jackets. Probably paid to do so. Baracuta with a twist. Ha Ha.They must be aiming the jackets at no-nothing 'fashionistas' that buy that marketing shit or perhaps the Japanese market that want a piece of Blighty Baracuta. Just wait till they outsource all production overseas, just like Sir Paul Smith, but still push the Heritage line. At one time, trends came from the street but now the kids are directed by the marketing in what to wear. Who is prepared to pay these new prices? They were already taking the piss. My first Baracuta was bought on word of mouth not a promo video. Just a old geezer rant, carry on as you were,.post #10581 of 206472/13/13 at 4:18amQuote:
First post for me here, gents, I must say its been an interesting and insightful read.
I would like to add here, you could say ALL teenage school boys had their sta-prest, harringtons and Bens bought for them by their mums in the early 70s once the skinhead look had gone mainstream. Sportswear like you mention wasn't mainstream at first, just like skinhead style, and the cult that spawned it, call it casual,soulboy,dresser was certainly as real as mods, skinheads etc.and is considered by many to actually be a progression from these styles.post #10582 of 206472/13/13 at 5:14amQuote:
Don't shoot the proverbial messenger. The idea seemed odd to me, too. I had a Lacoste cricket sweater in the early '80s but had no idea what a casual was. Anyways, not to splinter the thread, but here's a link to the Perry Boys page, for what it's worth:
http://perryboys.com/post #10583 of 206472/13/13 at 5:28ampost #10584 of 206472/13/13 at 5:31ampost #10585 of 206472/13/13 at 5:32ampost #10586 of 206472/13/13 at 5:41amQuote:
Good looking pair of shoes but at that UK price (£620 on the UK site) you could almost fly to the USA and pick them up in a RL sale and still have change for a horsemeat hotdog.post #10587 of 206472/13/13 at 5:55amQuote:
Agree Natrodgers79, But Florsheims are now made in India also they don't make em in Cordovan either, I do like the shape though,
I find my Allen Edmonds too pointed and the Aldens seem too round,
This is my pair of Cheanys, about as near in shape as the Old Royals.post #10588 of 206472/13/13 at 6:09ampost #10589 of 206472/13/13 at 6:28ampost #10590 of 206472/13/13 at 6:47amQuote:
Worth noting that they are black as well. Most lace ups bought were back then. Clothing forums nowadays seem to hate black shoes for some reason.
- Mod to Suedehead
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 40 seconds ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 1 minute ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 4 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 5 minutes ago
- › New suit designs, critique please 5 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan