Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- After Hours Look Last post on 10/16/12 at 7:16pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Who's the SF-approved guy in my salsa class? Last post on 8/8/11 at 4:14am in Classic Menswear
- *6/25 DROPS*Fs: Geller, W+h, Gitman, Ndg, Sda, Ov, Ervell, APC, etc. Last post on 6/25/11 at 5:48am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares? Last post on 3/28/11 at 12:34pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Is this Louis Vuitton t-shirt working for me? Last post on 2/23/11 at 12:38am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Edited on 5/31/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Edited on 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- Cedarville Store
- Crane's Country Store
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Four Horsemen Shop
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Hiras Fashion
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Mes Chausettes Rouges
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Tanner Goods/Woodlands Supply
- Tate + Yoko
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Tiberias Clothing
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Mod to Suedehead - Page 706
I know a fella named Ian Hough("huff") from the Merseyside area who grew up with other lads that claim to have been "Perry Boys". His book is called the same. They were an outgrowth of a mixture of subcultures, though they seem to have been influenced mostly by the Mod revival and early on called themselves mods for lack of a better term. They're saying that they're the progenitors of the unnamed youth cult dubbed "casuals" by the media.
The whole "Perry Boys" name had to do with the idea that, at least in their area, they were the first new cult to unbutton the top button of their Fred Perrys, and have an identifiable "look".
Not sure if the book is still in print but it was popular with casuals/dressers.
Perry Boys by Ian Hough.
ALL teenage school boys wore Fred Perry , Slazenger , Pods , Adidas T shirts in the late 70s - all over the country it was the bog standard look . Trying to make a cult out of cheap high st clobber your mum brought you is silly .
sadly got no pics from my skinhead days, arent digi cameras or even better mobile phones fantastic, in my minds eye I can still recall those magal moments but no pics for posterity.
Dug out my original Doc Marts the other day looking unloved in garage, thinking seriously about polishing them up to Rasss and then putting them inside a glass case in dining room.
It was such a spectacularly fullfilling part of my life & I learnt so many life skills during that period!
Keep[ Right On & Keep the Faith!
Back to the new Baractuta owners. Ignore the outrageous prices for the moment (almost double the price, just for a (long overdue) better-quality zip and new 'technical' lining (whatever that means).
There's a PDF file that you can download from the new site (here: http://www.baracuta.com/history.html ). Does anyone recognise one of the people on page 13?
Yet another bunch of shysters that are messing with a 'heritage brand'. For many years changes to the design of the jackets was minimal and now they have a 2013 Collection? What a joke. All the people in the promo video were wearing the new product and not their own jackets. Probably paid to do so. Baracuta with a twist. Ha Ha.They must be aiming the jackets at no-nothing 'fashionistas' that buy that marketing shit or perhaps the Japanese market that want a piece of Blighty Baracuta. Just wait till they outsource all production overseas, just like Sir Paul Smith, but still push the Heritage line. At one time, trends came from the street but now the kids are directed by the marketing in what to wear. Who is prepared to pay these new prices? They were already taking the piss. My first Baracuta was bought on word of mouth not a promo video. Just a old geezer rant, carry on as you were,.
First post for me here, gents, I must say its been an interesting and insightful read.
I would like to add here, you could say ALL teenage school boys had their sta-prest, harringtons and Bens bought for them by their mums in the early 70s once the skinhead look had gone mainstream. Sportswear like you mention wasn't mainstream at first, just like skinhead style, and the cult that spawned it, call it casual,soulboy,dresser was certainly as real as mods, skinheads etc.and is considered by many to actually be a progression from these styles.
Don't shoot the proverbial messenger. The idea seemed odd to me, too. I had a Lacoste cricket sweater in the early '80s but had no idea what a casual was. Anyways, not to splinter the thread, but here's a link to the Perry Boys page, for what it's worth:
Good looking pair of shoes but at that UK price (£620 on the UK site) you could almost fly to the USA and pick them up in a RL sale and still have change for a horsemeat hotdog.
Agree Natrodgers79, But Florsheims are now made in India also they don't make em in Cordovan either, I do like the shape though,
I find my Allen Edmonds too pointed and the Aldens seem too round,
This is my pair of Cheanys, about as near in shape as the Old Royals.
Worth noting that they are black as well. Most lace ups bought were back then. Clothing forums nowadays seem to hate black shoes for some reason.
- Mod to Suedehead
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 32 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here 1 minute ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 6 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments Spring/Summer 2013, plus FWK 6 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 9 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 11 minutes ago
- › 13.5 oz Cone Mills Selvedge, Made in San Fransisco, and only $81?... 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Isaia Coral Lapel Pin by carre567
- › Kiton Napoli WearRight Dark Green Soft suede Loafers 11.5 *Handmade* by BearBindell
- › Red Wing Men's 6" Iron Ranger Boot by ranger21
- › Alfred Sargent Moore by Harrydog
- › Bright orange green paisley pattern silk tie by Holtemor
- › Allen-Edmonds Men's Leeds Oxfords,Black,10 C by trouble
- › Jos. A. Bank Signature Gold 2-Button Wool Suit by JJTV
- › Frye Men's Wallace Oxford by RandyE
- › Momotaro 702 (15.7 oz, Deep Indigo) by El Argentino
- › J. Crew Ludlow by collin9338
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Wedding shoes - How do you decide? by hollypowell
- › Cannes Film Festival Trend - Sunglasses by hollypowell
- › David Beckham - Style Icon by hollypowell
- › Style Icon - Brian Trunzo by hollypowell
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw