Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Who's the SF-approved guy in my salsa class? Last post on 8/8/11 at 4:14am in Classic Menswear
- *6/25 DROPS*Fs: Geller, W+h, Gitman, Ndg, Sda, Ov, Ervell, APC, etc. Last post on 6/25/11 at 5:48am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares? Last post on 3/28/11 at 12:34pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Is this Louis Vuitton t-shirt working for me? Last post on 2/23/11 at 12:38am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Mod to Suedehead - Page 706
Styleforum Top Picks
I know a fella named Ian Hough("huff") from the Merseyside area who grew up with other lads that claim to have been "Perry Boys". His book is called the same. They were an outgrowth of a mixture of subcultures, though they seem to have been influenced mostly by the Mod revival and early on called themselves mods for lack of a better term. They're saying that they're the progenitors of the unnamed youth cult dubbed "casuals" by the media.
The whole "Perry Boys" name had to do with the idea that, at least in their area, they were the first new cult to unbutton the top button of their Fred Perrys, and have an identifiable "look".
Not sure if the book is still in print but it was popular with casuals/dressers.
Perry Boys by Ian Hough.
ALL teenage school boys wore Fred Perry , Slazenger , Pods , Adidas T shirts in the late 70s - all over the country it was the bog standard look . Trying to make a cult out of cheap high st clobber your mum brought you is silly .
sadly got no pics from my skinhead days, arent digi cameras or even better mobile phones fantastic, in my minds eye I can still recall those magal moments but no pics for posterity.
Dug out my original Doc Marts the other day looking unloved in garage, thinking seriously about polishing them up to Rasss and then putting them inside a glass case in dining room.
It was such a spectacularly fullfilling part of my life & I learnt so many life skills during that period!
Keep[ Right On & Keep the Faith!
Back to the new Baractuta owners. Ignore the outrageous prices for the moment (almost double the price, just for a (long overdue) better-quality zip and new 'technical' lining (whatever that means).
There's a PDF file that you can download from the new site (here: http://www.baracuta.com/history.html ). Does anyone recognise one of the people on page 13?
Yet another bunch of shysters that are messing with a 'heritage brand'. For many years changes to the design of the jackets was minimal and now they have a 2013 Collection? What a joke. All the people in the promo video were wearing the new product and not their own jackets. Probably paid to do so. Baracuta with a twist. Ha Ha.They must be aiming the jackets at no-nothing 'fashionistas' that buy that marketing shit or perhaps the Japanese market that want a piece of Blighty Baracuta. Just wait till they outsource all production overseas, just like Sir Paul Smith, but still push the Heritage line. At one time, trends came from the street but now the kids are directed by the marketing in what to wear. Who is prepared to pay these new prices? They were already taking the piss. My first Baracuta was bought on word of mouth not a promo video. Just a old geezer rant, carry on as you were,.
First post for me here, gents, I must say its been an interesting and insightful read.
I would like to add here, you could say ALL teenage school boys had their sta-prest, harringtons and Bens bought for them by their mums in the early 70s once the skinhead look had gone mainstream. Sportswear like you mention wasn't mainstream at first, just like skinhead style, and the cult that spawned it, call it casual,soulboy,dresser was certainly as real as mods, skinheads etc.and is considered by many to actually be a progression from these styles.
Don't shoot the proverbial messenger. The idea seemed odd to me, too. I had a Lacoste cricket sweater in the early '80s but had no idea what a casual was. Anyways, not to splinter the thread, but here's a link to the Perry Boys page, for what it's worth:
Good looking pair of shoes but at that UK price (£620 on the UK site) you could almost fly to the USA and pick them up in a RL sale and still have change for a horsemeat hotdog.
Agree Natrodgers79, But Florsheims are now made in India also they don't make em in Cordovan either, I do like the shape though,
I find my Allen Edmonds too pointed and the Aldens seem too round,
This is my pair of Cheanys, about as near in shape as the Old Royals.
Worth noting that they are black as well. Most lace ups bought were back then. Clothing forums nowadays seem to hate black shoes for some reason.
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The Ultimate Vass Porn Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 5 minutes ago
- › Boris Bidjan Saberi AW10 Cardigan 7 minutes ago
- › Alligator / Crocodile Shoes 12 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 14 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 23 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 25 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 26 minutes ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 26 minutes ago
- › L.L. Bean Gumshoe Bean Boots size 10M near new 28 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...