Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Mod to Suedehead - Page 706post #10576 of 245472/12/13 at 11:15pmpost #10577 of 245472/13/13 at 2:08ampost #10578 of 245472/13/13 at 2:12amQuote:Originally Posted by Botolph
I know a fella named Ian Hough("huff") from the Merseyside area who grew up with other lads that claim to have been "Perry Boys". His book is called the same. They were an outgrowth of a mixture of subcultures, though they seem to have been influenced mostly by the Mod revival and early on called themselves mods for lack of a better term. They're saying that they're the progenitors of the unnamed youth cult dubbed "casuals" by the media.
The whole "Perry Boys" name had to do with the idea that, at least in their area, they were the first new cult to unbutton the top button of their Fred Perrys, and have an identifiable "look".
Not sure if the book is still in print but it was popular with casuals/dressers.
Perry Boys by Ian Hough.
ALL teenage school boys wore Fred Perry , Slazenger , Pods , Adidas T shirts in the late 70s - all over the country it was the bog standard look . Trying to make a cult out of cheap high st clobber your mum brought you is silly .post #10579 of 245472/13/13 at 3:32am
sadly got no pics from my skinhead days, arent digi cameras or even better mobile phones fantastic, in my minds eye I can still recall those magal moments but no pics for posterity.
Dug out my original Doc Marts the other day looking unloved in garage, thinking seriously about polishing them up to Rasss and then putting them inside a glass case in dining room.
It was such a spectacularly fullfilling part of my life & I learnt so many life skills during that period!
Keep[ Right On & Keep the Faith!post #10580 of 245472/13/13 at 3:41amQuote:Originally Posted by Watermelon man
Back to the new Baractuta owners. Ignore the outrageous prices for the moment (almost double the price, just for a (long overdue) better-quality zip and new 'technical' lining (whatever that means).
There's a PDF file that you can download from the new site (here: http://www.baracuta.com/history.html ). Does anyone recognise one of the people on page 13?
Yet another bunch of shysters that are messing with a 'heritage brand'. For many years changes to the design of the jackets was minimal and now they have a 2013 Collection? What a joke. All the people in the promo video were wearing the new product and not their own jackets. Probably paid to do so. Baracuta with a twist. Ha Ha.They must be aiming the jackets at no-nothing 'fashionistas' that buy that marketing shit or perhaps the Japanese market that want a piece of Blighty Baracuta. Just wait till they outsource all production overseas, just like Sir Paul Smith, but still push the Heritage line. At one time, trends came from the street but now the kids are directed by the marketing in what to wear. Who is prepared to pay these new prices? They were already taking the piss. My first Baracuta was bought on word of mouth not a promo video. Just a old geezer rant, carry on as you were,.post #10581 of 245472/13/13 at 4:18amQuote:
First post for me here, gents, I must say its been an interesting and insightful read.
I would like to add here, you could say ALL teenage school boys had their sta-prest, harringtons and Bens bought for them by their mums in the early 70s once the skinhead look had gone mainstream. Sportswear like you mention wasn't mainstream at first, just like skinhead style, and the cult that spawned it, call it casual,soulboy,dresser was certainly as real as mods, skinheads etc.and is considered by many to actually be a progression from these styles.post #10582 of 245472/13/13 at 5:14amQuote:
Don't shoot the proverbial messenger. The idea seemed odd to me, too. I had a Lacoste cricket sweater in the early '80s but had no idea what a casual was. Anyways, not to splinter the thread, but here's a link to the Perry Boys page, for what it's worth:
http://perryboys.com/post #10583 of 245472/13/13 at 5:28ampost #10584 of 245472/13/13 at 5:31ampost #10585 of 245472/13/13 at 5:32ampost #10586 of 245472/13/13 at 5:41amQuote:
Good looking pair of shoes but at that UK price (£620 on the UK site) you could almost fly to the USA and pick them up in a RL sale and still have change for a horsemeat hotdog.post #10587 of 245472/13/13 at 5:55amQuote:
Agree Natrodgers79, But Florsheims are now made in India also they don't make em in Cordovan either, I do like the shape though,
I find my Allen Edmonds too pointed and the Aldens seem too round,
This is my pair of Cheanys, about as near in shape as the Old Royals.post #10588 of 245472/13/13 at 6:09ampost #10589 of 245472/13/13 at 6:28ampost #10590 of 245472/13/13 at 6:47amQuote:
Worth noting that they are black as well. Most lace ups bought were back then. Clothing forums nowadays seem to hate black shoes for some reason.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 7 seconds ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Thomas Riemer Doeskin & Deerskin Gloves 3 minutes ago
- › CONSOLIDATED F/W TIE SALE (DRAKES, VIOLA MILANO, SOZZI and more) 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 12 minutes ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 12 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE: 19 October - 29 October: The Sleaze Challenge 13 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread 37 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 38 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...