or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 696

post #10426 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post


There was a coupe of different types, depending on when and where they were from.
I've got couple of pairs of Solovair ones (without the stitching on the welt). These 6 hole ones are from before February '69 (according to the lad that got them as they were part of a stock that were transferred into storage that month and forgot about). Got the same ones in brown but they've had a lot of wear.








Interesting what you said about the change over to the black trim by 1970. Do you not remember mates buying them without white trim before then?
By '69, Hawkins were doing their range as well in many different heights. Plus there were others who'd licenced the Air Wear sole to use on their own variations.


They are similar to my boots so now I think mine were 6 holes. We only bought Martens, with the yellow stitching on the welt. All my mates had the same boot because we bought them at the same place (Blackman's) but other gangs had variations. I particularly liked the padded trim at the top. I reluctantly bought my second pair without the padded trim in 1970 and can remember Mr Blackman telling me that the old boots were out of production and replaced with the black (I think) trim. It might of been a sales pitch but I never saw the old style boots again. If I had I would have bought them. In 68/69 I also briefly wore brown officer boots with green drills from the Army and Navy store and some gangs stayed with this look but when we found out about the Squire shop we went in a different direction.

post #10427 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post


They are similar to my boots so now I think mine were 6 holes. We only bought Martens, with the yellow stitching on the welt. All my mates had the same boot because we bought them at the same place (Blackman's) but other gangs had variations. I particularly liked the padded trim at the top. I reluctantly bought my second pair without the padded trim in 1970 and can remember Mr Blackman telling me that the old boots were out of production and replaced with the black (I think) trim. It might of been a sales pitch but I never saw the old style boots again. If I had I would have bought them. In 68/69 I also briefly wore brown officer boots with green drills from the Army and Navy store and some gangs stayed with this look but when we found out about the Squire shop we went in a different direction.

I am sure we wore six hole in the beginning but they could have been eight ,,not 100% ,but they was ankle length.. I suppose a carry on from the Cherry Red Commando Boots, Back then lads wore Black and Cherry Red equally..just ones preference..but I did get a higher leg pair in 70..Black.
Bye the way never heard of Solovair, just Dr Martins
post #10428 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brideshead View Post

Corker, what model is that Loake boot? Is it from the 1880 range?

I spotted a couple of pairs yesterday locally and was tempted.

Thanks

I got mine from Herring a few years back. They were made by Loake for Herring. Apparently they had a leather upgrade and the sole is a lot chunkier than the Loakes own version. This is the closest I could find to it: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=6&shoeid=3002
Edited by corker23 - 1/31/13 at 10:06pm
post #10429 of 18457

This DJ does a nice set of original Rocksteady.Mostly instrumentals.Begins with "The Sufferer" As a Sax instrumental.It's called The Roots of Skinhead Reggae. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeeYshjQftk

post #10430 of 18457

Roy, you are right about not hearing of 'Solovair'. Neither had we about '74. When we saw them, we just thought they were inferior DM imitations, no name attached. Perhaps NPS didn't use the 'Solovair' brand name then (no need, when they produced boots for Griggs with DM soles).

 

With regard to the white 'collar' on boots, I'd never seen them in the flesh until a few years back when someone tried to sell me a crappy second-hand pair that had been re-soled with a solid (non-air-cushion ) sole. They were ugly, overpriced and the wrong size. It was the mid-'70s before I became properly aware of what people wore, so maybe they were around, but I never noticed them. 

 

The transition was from kiddies' Monkey boots to DMs or matt-finish Hawkins' Astronauts as far as I knew.

post #10431 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

This DJ does a nice set of original Rocksteady.Mostly instrumentals.Begins with "The Sufferer" As a Sax instrumental.It's called The Roots of Skinhead Reggae. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeeYshjQftk

Music is great,the Dj?????smile.gif
post #10432 of 18457
Talking about Buses,where I was it was a single decker that ran.Most of the Drivers were alright.In other parts there were attacks on Bus Crews-but I never witnessed any.Near the Plaza there was the Onslow Street Bus Station(the other half of it,you could get to by crossing a footbridge).Many fights have taken place there,whether it was with other Skins or Greasers.The Train Station was another Place where there was a lot of violence.Have seen People jump down and run along the Tracks,to get away.

As with the Boots,cannot remember what they had around the top-just DMs to me.
















































.
post #10433 of 18457


'Oh my gawd'
post #10434 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


Music is great,the Dj?????smile.gif

This DJ knows his roots.I like the fact the camera is focused on his hands,not his face.Puts the focus on the music.The flow is a tad rapid for my taste but,a nice selection.The first track and the cover track with the girl singers I like best.

post #10435 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

I can picture the Scene now,M-o-M.Halfway through and they all stop for Tea and Scones.....smile.gif

Ah... just like we did in the old days... biggrin.gif
post #10436 of 18457
Do I recognise someone at 3:25 here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74bds4oRVPk
post #10437 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post



'Oh my gawd'

I 'ate you, Bunty!

biggrin.gif
post #10438 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


Ah... just like we did in the old days... biggrin.gif

Remember that old newspaper report? I quote:

 

"Young Liberals, holding their conference in Skegness, supplied free tea, coffee and biscuits to large gangs of skinheads roaming the resort as a peacemaking offer."

 

The Times 31 March 1970

post #10439 of 18457

Where does Hawkins Astronauts fit into all this .. pretty sure they were my first pair when i was 12 in 1970 . 

My old man could not afford Levi jeans for me but a shop in east acton had some olive green levi cords on sale that i begged him for and a green check Jaytex .. that was it i died in that clobber for 6 months,

post #10440 of 18457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

Do I recognise someone at 3:25 here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74bds4oRVPk

Funny how it turned the other way around-haircuts I mean.....smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead