or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 691

post #10351 of 18711
... having said which, does anyone else remember the terms 'Roundhead' and 'Cavalier' being used in connection with circumcision?

(I know - It's bloody weird how my mind works sometimes)
post #10352 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Queenie View Post

When I first saw it, it reminded me of those awful pictures that Victorian phrenologists used to make their odious pronouncements on the merits of people's social acceptability!

Blimey, you're right! And the ones the Nazis used to determine 'Aryan' and the ''Untermensch' frown.gif
post #10353 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post

 The sideboards look to me like they are stuck on or dyed. Not a look I recognize from 1969. Not amongst the 15/16 year olds anyway. Both profiles look odd and I wouldn't want to bump into either of them down a dark alley.

Well this is me in 1969 with sideboards. Okay, I was 18 going on 19, but I saw quite a lot of guys with this look.

post #10354 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelon man View Post

They asked me how I knew, it was Esso Blue
I of course replied
With other brands one buys
Smoke gets in your eyes

Bum bum bum bum - Esso Blue! biggrin.gif

and...

Oh the Esso sign means happy motoring,
Esso sign means happy motoring,
Esso sign means happy motoring,
Call at the Esso sign!
(for Esso golden... golden... golden...)
post #10355 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by corker23 View Post

Ay-up. I'm a bit of a newbie here but I was hoping for some advice on these DM's: http://store.drmartens.co.uk/p-8006-dr-martens-jameson-boot.aspx apparently the zipper tounge thingy can be removed so that they can be worn properly. Seem good for the price?
Alright Corker
I haven't bought a new pair of Martens for decades so someone else on here would have to point you to the best ones available.
BUT I wouldn't think about getting them zip up things and starting to cut them up. They'll never be right.
Its never worth buying summet rubbish to save 30 quid, when it could last you 5, 10, 20 years. Like having a suit made out of cheap material. False economy, mate.
post #10356 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

Call me an armchair leftie but I'd much rather be a Roundhead than a Cavalier! biggrin.gif

But the Puritans banned everybody having a good time!!! Lets just say-A Cavalier with a Roundhead Hair-cut!!!smile.gif
post #10357 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


Well this is me in 1969 with sideboards. Okay, I was 18 going on 19, but I saw quite a lot of guys with this look.


In those days I stayed within my peer group. Someone two years older was considered old and one year younger was considered a kid. I remember going into a pub full of 22/23 year olds and we walked out because they were old men! Only one of our group could grow the sideburns and he had them .As soon as I could I grew them as well but I was about 18 then and my hair was a lot longer. My side burns looked like yours but the previous profile photo they don't look so good to me.

post #10358 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post


In those days I stayed within my peer group. Someone two years older was considered old and one year younger was considered a kid. I remember going into a pub full of 22/23 year olds and we walked out because they were old men! Only one of our group could grow the sideburns and he had them .As soon as I could I grew them as well but I was about 18 then and my hair was a lot longer. My side burns looked like yours but the previous profile photo they don't look so good to me.

Is it the contrast between the thickness of the hair forming the sideboard and the shortness of the hair on the head? In the phrenologist's photo they're not very well-groomed either, whereas Paul's are neat and have been trimmed into shape.
post #10359 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by corker23 View Post

Ay-up. I'm a bit of a newbie here but I was hoping for some advice on these DM's: http://store.drmartens.co.uk/p-8006-dr-martens-jameson-boot.aspx apparently the zipper tounge thingy can be removed so that they can be worn properly. Seem good for the price?

all you need to know http://mikkelrude.co.uk/products/10-footwear/181-mikkel-rude-1969-boot11-eye-brown/

post #10360 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Queenie View Post

Is it the contrast between the thickness of the hair forming the sideboard and the shortness of the hair on the head? In the phrenologist's photo they're not very well-groomed either, whereas Paul's are neat and have been trimmed into shape.

I agree. Why is it when skinheads are depicted that the author / journalist always seems to select especially unattractive examples? Skinheads were often immaculate and yet these are seldom seen in the images that remain today.
post #10361 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post


In those days I stayed within my peer group. Someone two years older was considered old and one year younger was considered a kid. I remember going into a pub full of 22/23 year olds and we walked out because they were old men! Only one of our group could grow the sideburns and he had them .As soon as I could I grew them as well but I was about 18 then and my hair was a lot longer. My side burns looked like yours but the previous profile photo they don't look so good to me.

I remember well staying within my peer group too. Just occasionally you would mix with older or younger guys but it never worked out.

1969, one of the first times I was allowed to go on holiday without my parents and it was on the understanding that there would be some 'sensible' older boys in the group. I suppose their ages ranged from 17 to 19. We stayed on a caravan park at Bognor. And God were they sensible! No coming in late, proper English breakfast every day taking turns to cook and wash up, etc. Me and my peers left them to it on the Thursday and went home - via the newly-discovered Squire Shop where we blew the last of our holiday dosh!
Edited by Brideshead - 1/29/13 at 5:40am
post #10362 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post


Like the word 'ponce' will have to start using it again biggrin.gif

(I was called a 'prune' yesterday, that's a good early 70s insult)

Never heard of prune. Yes, I struggled to find le mot juste for that tw*t so settled on the now almost archaic 'ponce'!
post #10363 of 18711
Artwork revealed for Mod: A Very British Style by Richard Weight

http://www.modculture.co.uk/artwork-revealed-for-mod-a-very-british-style-by-richard-weight/#more-6708

Apologies if this has been flagged up before.
post #10364 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brideshead View Post

I agree. Why is it when skinheads are depicted that the author / journalist always seems to select especially unattractive examples? Skinheads were often immaculate and yet these are seldom seen in the images that remain today.

All part of the 'folk devil' label that the establishment were so determined to brand Skinheads with, and still are to some extent. By the way, Stanley Cohen just died recently - I did try to read his book, but it was interminably tedious....

I think some of the better images we've seen recently have been from people's private collections: those that were not 'styled' by the media to convey a vilified image of Skinhead.
post #10365 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brideshead View Post

I remember well staying within my peer group too. Just occasionally you would mix with older or younger guys but it never worked out.

1969, one of the first times I was allowed to go on holiday without my parents and it was on the understanding that there would be some 'sensible' older boys in the group. I suppose their ages ranged from 17 to 19. We stayed on a caravan park at Bognor. And God were they sensible! No coming in late, proper English breakfast every day taking turns to cook and wash up, etc. Me and my peers left them to it on the Thursday and went home - via the newly-discovered Squire Shop where we blew the last of our holiday dosh!

I think at that age, age disparity is so important, but as you get older it almost ceases to matter. Just take this thread, where different generations (mostly) talk away happily on a shared subject!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead