or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 690

post #10336 of 17759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Queenie View Post

I would say, as a skirt wearer, that her skirt is riding up because of the way she is perched on the wall. The lad behind her is holding her up; notice how rumpled her coat is.

Little Queenie, would you describe the riding-up skirt as a type of Tattersall check? My mum had a hairdresser c. 1964/65 (who I fancied like mad but she was a few years older than me!) and she wore such skirts. She was a mod.

Twiggy was wearing Fair Isle in that style in the mid sixties. I recall men wearing a similar style at that time.
http://ancientindustries.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/living-freckles-and-fairisle.html

I note too the style of hair the girls are displaying is typical of the earlier 60s. I would think 64 is about right for that pic.
post #10337 of 17759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post

The following is taken from a book by Wendy Cooper: Hair. Sex, Society, Symbolism. Aldus Books Ltd. London 1971.



Interesting isn't it that the ponce on the right is described as a 'fashionable young man' where we tend to regard the skinhead look as 'fashionable' in the late 60s. Was it fashionable or anti-fashion?

It is perhaps hinted in the piece that the man on the right is of a different class from the typical skinhead - he was a Cavalier!

And when we started to grow our hair, how was it we managed to maintain a degree of cool and identity? You certainly would not ever acuse that ponce of being cool!
post #10338 of 17759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brideshead View Post

Little Queenie, would you describe the riding-up skirt as a type of Tattersall check? My mum had a hairdresser c. 1964/65 (who I fancied like mad but she was a few years older than me!) and she wore such skirts. She was a mod.

Twiggy was wearing Fair Isle in that style in the mid sixties. I recall men wearing a similar style at that time.
http://ancientindustries.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/living-freckles-and-fairisle.html

I note too the style of hair the girls are displaying is typical of the earlier 60s. I would think 64 is about right for that pic.

Hello Mr. Brideshead, good to see you back!

I had thought it looked rather like dog's tooth, but on closer inspection it is a 'sharper' check than dog's tooth - if that makes sense?

I'd forgotten about that photo of Twiggy in the Fairisle.

I'm happy with '64 for the photo: their hair styles and the shape of their shoes fits in with that date (or thereabouts).
post #10339 of 17759
Fred Perry sale on gilt.com today. Nothing crazy, but plenty of basics.
post #10340 of 17759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brideshead View Post

Interesting isn't it that the ponce on the right is described as a 'fashionable young man' where we tend to regard the skinhead look as 'fashionable' in the late 60s. Was it fashionable or anti-fashion?

It is perhaps hinted in the piece that the man on the right is of a different class from the typical skinhead - he was a Cavalier!

And when we started to grow our hair, how was it we managed to maintain a degree of cool and identity? You certainly would not ever acuse that ponce of being cool!


I suppose fashion can be relative to different social groups and the author of the article is certainly trying to make a statement about which one she sees as socially 'acceptable'.

When I first saw it, it reminded me of those awful pictures that Victorian phrenologists used to make their odious pronouncements on the merits of people's social acceptability!

As for the 'ponce', when you grew your hair long I doubt if you ever thought assuming a Rudolph Valentino pose was a good idea!
post #10341 of 17759

Little Queenie always brings the Class to these proceedings.Great photo Pequod.I'm surprised to see the very short hair and fuller side boards.Thought it was a revival thang.

post #10342 of 17759
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

Little Queenie always brings the Class to these proceedings.Great photo Pequod.I'm surprised to see the very short hair and fuller side boards.Thought it was a revival thang.


 The sideboards look to me like they are stuck on or dyed. Not a look I recognize from 1969. Not amongst the 15/16 year olds anyway. Both profiles look odd and I wouldn't want to bump into either of them down a dark alley.

post #10343 of 17759
Some more of those great photos from John Ruscoe -











More here - http://www.themodgeneration.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=2qlrjr85nj5vk&sort=mostPopular


I think Loempiavreter has posted the bottom one before, commenting on the monkey jacket.

Like the word 'ponce' will have to start using it again biggrin.gif

(I was called a 'prune' yesterday, that's a good early 70s insult)
post #10344 of 17759

Beltin Pics again Bunty.

post #10345 of 17759
Brill pics Esso Blue lol.
post #10346 of 17759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

Brill pics Esso Blue lol.

As we all remember Esso Blue used to be delivered in vans (this was pre central heating days - we all had paraffin heaters).

What I recall about the Esso Blue van was that the back doors opened and it had a huge tank in the middle with a tap at the bottom. Either side (and stacked across the top) of the tank was FOOD, including biscuits and sweets - now I'm not sure if this was the case with every EB van or whether our delivery bloke was just doing a bit of moonlighting, but anyway what I remember was that all the food tasted of paraffin - bloody lovely it was!

God knows what today's Health and Safety would make of that - but then again, these were the days when we used to pick bubble gum off the pavements and eat it and drink puddles - for dare's mind!
post #10347 of 17759

They asked me how I knew, it was Esso Blue

I of course replied

With other brands one buys

Smoke gets in your eyes

post #10348 of 17759
Interesting Pics again.Just been on the Site and seen the others.It still looks mid 60s to me.The Lambretta has 63` Plates on-but would a young(and going by the ages given)16 year old afford nearly new Scooter in `64?.There is an Austin 1800 in the background.That was voted Car Of The Year 1965.On the Cover of "The Small Faces",Kenney Jones is wearing a Tattershall Check Shirt(with Spear Point Collar).That was released in `66.I remember the Fair Isle Jumpers and yes the date would have been the mid 60s(a Girlfriend of mine,at the time had one-it had short Sleeves).The Fellas wore the Fair Isle Sleeveless Pullovers.And yes I do remember Esso Blue.smile.gif
post #10349 of 17759
Ay-up. I'm a bit of a newbie here but I was hoping for some advice on these DM's: http://store.drmartens.co.uk/p-8006-dr-martens-jameson-boot.aspx apparently the zipper tounge thingy can be removed so that they can be worn properly. Seem good for the price?
post #10350 of 17759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brideshead View Post


It is perhaps hinted in the piece that the man on the right is of a different class from the typical skinhead - he was a Cavalier!

Call me an armchair leftie but I'd much rather be a Roundhead than a Cavalier! biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead