or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 687

post #10291 of 18539
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

Sorry Lasstye for making you go over old ground again.I don't remember you naming the guys in the clip before.Would love to find the whole doc.Maybe it's been lost to time.Thanks again.

No Probs Yankmod, I did name near everyone in that clip of the boys and girls on the dance floor, I emailed the clip to a few mates i still see in Kilburn..which they found amusing.

Kilburn became famous all over the UK at the time from front page National News about the Kilburn and Hendon Skinheads rioting up in Burnt Oak, 36 Kilburn and Hendon got nicked,
After that there was a lot of interest in Skinheads in general, Their was not a day that went by without a story about Skinheads causing mayhem up and down the Country,
We even had a American TV crew interviewing Skinheads up the Kilburn High Rd. that was before the BBC Program.
Whats got to be remembered Skinheads was a fashion back then not a cult that it became 10 years later. Every working class boy and girl was a skinhead..and the few that weren't was considered strange,biggrin.gif
Nothing before or since has every matched the shear scale of numbers and notoriety of the Original Skinheads, You had to be there to truly understand it all. as one of the Originals said on here you could even smell it.
post #10292 of 18539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post


No Probs Yankmod, I did name near everyone in that clip of the boys and girls on the dance floor, I emailed the clip to a few mates i still see in Kilburn..which they found amusing.

Kilburn became famous all over the UK at the time from front page National News about the Kilburn and Hendon Skinheads rioting up in Burnt Oak, 36 Kilburn and Hendon got nicked,
After that there was a lot of interest in Skinheads in general, Their was not a day that went by without a story about Skinheads causing mayhem up and down the Country,
We even had a American TV crew interviewing Skinheads up the Kilburn High Rd. that was before the BBC Program.
Whats got to be remembered Skinheads was a fashion back then not a cult that it became 10 years later. Every working class boy and girl was a skinhead..and the few that weren't was considered strange,biggrin.gif
Nothing before or since has every matched the shear scale of numbers and notoriety of the Original Skinheads, You had to be there to truly understand it all. as one of the Originals said on here you could even smell it.

Thanks for that info Lasttye.You emphasize the fact that every working class kid was a Skinhead and it was just a fashion.Only the "Originals" know this as you state it became a cult 10 years later when I learned of it via 2 tone.This is an important distinction for the youngsters to understand if they don't already.   

post #10293 of 18539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek77 View Post

found this on fb..

25th May 1970 - Skinheads arriving at Southend Victoria railway station are lined up to receive advice from police not to get into groups of three or more during their spring bank holiday visit to the seaside town. (Photo by Central Press/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

*

ek 77 The photo above comes from a clip(I beleive) in this short piece I posted earlier.       

post #10294 of 18539

Sorry ek77 I'm  computer illiterate here is a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBVQsHVP3Z0&feature=related

post #10295 of 18539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek77 View Post

found this on fb..

25th May 1970 - Skinheads arriving at Southend Victoria railway station are lined up to receive advice from police not to get into groups of three or more during their spring bank holiday visit to the seaside town. (Photo by Central Press/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

*


 I have seen this photo before and have tried to identify who was in it but I don't recognize any of them. It looks like the police are talking to the leaders of a small firm who are wearing  trilby/pork pie hats. I know the two leaders of Dagenham Heathway mob were wearing similar hats that day but I don't think it is them. The train I arrived on was much more crowded and I think we also arrived at Southend Victoria .Southend Central was also busy. We weren't quite as well behaved as this lot and I like to think we were better dressed, but that might be wishful thinking.

I have tried to source the Daily Sketch front page from Tuesday 26 May 1970 to see if my memory was correct about the team photo of my group but no luck so far.

post #10296 of 18539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post


 I have seen this photo before and have tried to identify who was in it but I don't recognize any of them. It looks like the police are talking to the leaders of a small firm who are wearing  trilby/pork pie hats. I know the two leaders of Dagenham Heathway mob were wearing similar hats that day but I don't think it is them. The train I arrived on was much more crowded and I think we also arrived at Southend Victoria .Southend Central was also busy. We weren't quite as well behaved as this lot and I like to think we were better dressed, but that might be wishful thinking.
I have tried to source the Daily Sketch front page from Tuesday 26 May 1970 to see if my memory was correct about the team photo of my group but no luck so far.

Yes they are a scruffy little mob, must be Northerners who got on the wrong train, biggrin.gif,biggrin.gif
post #10297 of 18539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

Yes they are a scruffy little mob, must be Northerners who got on the wrong train, biggrin.gif,biggrin.gif
You are such a bad lad. shog[1].gif
post #10298 of 18539
Cheers Yankmod! Your support is much appreciated. I had doubts when I changed my look because I'm the "odd one out", but it's thanks to blokes like you that I've persevered and not looked back. This site is a useful guide to someone like me as to what to wear besides the staple Docs and Levis, etc. Thanks to everyone for that. Vin




Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

We welcome you here Vin the Skin.You do what you want.You can't go wrong dressing in this style.Everyone looking to dress in a style other than mainstream looks to the past for Ideas.And thats how revivals start.Don't take the critiscism too hard brother.We welcome your questions and observations.
post #10299 of 18539

Here is a very brief  clip from ITN showing a few seconds of a group of Skinheads.  http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist//ITN/1970/05/03/FS030570059/?s=Skinheads&st=2&pn=2

post #10300 of 18539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin the Skin View Post

Cheers Yankmod! Your support is much appreciated. I had doubts when I changed my look because I'm the "odd one out", but it's thanks to blokes like you that I've persevered and not looked back. This site is a useful guide to someone like me as to what to wear besides the staple Docs and Levis, etc. Thanks to everyone for that. Vin

Be the "Odd Man Out" Vin the Skin.If that means Original Skinhead style then wear it proud and scream out loud "Fuck Off" I bet the members of the  "Originals Firm" would tell you they got plenty of shit, and you know how THEY  handled it.Big Up.

post #10301 of 18539
As I take another Step towards Retirement Age I am thinking-are there any Regrets.Certainly not through my Teenage Years.They were great times(the 60s)and everything was new.So Vin the Skin,do what you want-all of us Originals certainly did. smile.gif
post #10302 of 18539
Back then,you had 3 types of Girls.The ones that would have an imperious "Look" about them.They looked at you as if you had trodden into something.They usually went out with the smartest Skinheads.You next had the "P.Ts",these were the ones that caused all the fights.They had Boyfriends,but always "egged" you on.The third was the the quiet ones-these were the ones you usually married-then God help you!!!! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #10303 of 18539
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

Back then,you had 3 types of Girls.The ones that would have an imperious "Look" about them.They looked at you as if you had trodden into something.They usually went out with the smartest Skinheads.You next had the "P.Ts",these were the ones that caused all the fights.They had Boyfriends,but always "egged" you on.The third was the the quiet ones-these were the ones you usually married-then God help you!!!! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Some of us are nice, you know.....
post #10304 of 18539

Catching up after a few days of being too busy to check this board; 

I think that suit looks great Yankmod, looks pretty mod to me even if it's not Original Skinhead approved or whatever. 

I'd encourage you to not just save it for special occasions - you look way smarter than the average Brooklyn hipster! 

post #10305 of 18539

RIght, my London trip is next thursday, so where can i get a pair of reasonably nice brogues for a equally reasonable price? Where is a good place to stock up on nice shirts? And also, sta press trousers. Sorry for all the questions, i've never been in London before if you don't count a short stop on Gatwick Airport, i spent some time in Newcastle, but thats all my knowhow of the isles ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead