or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 680

post #10186 of 19269
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

Thanks for posting the London Football Mobs piece Ed.Very interesting for an ignorant Yank.Noticed Danny Eccles mentioned again(in his YELLOW  Harrington?) I'm curious to know where Mr.Eccles (Hartkin,Hawkins,Ardkin ?) is today.I imagine he is a doting Grandfather who barbecues on Sunday and works as a stockbroker.Anyone know anything different than my invention? Lasttye ?
Anyone that knew the mobs that had leaders knew this guy... Roy's your man. satisfied.gif

A question: was there a fella called 'Greenaway' too?
Edited by Ed Vaughan - 1/20/13 at 1:34pm
post #10187 of 19269
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

Thanks for posting the London Football Mobs piece Ed.Very interesting for an ignorant Yank.Noticed Danny Eccles mentioned again(in his YELLOW  Harrington?) I'm curious to know where Mr.Eccles (Hartkin,Hawkins,Ardkin ?) is today.I imagine he is a doting Grandfather who barbecues on Sunday and works as a stockbroker.Anyone know anything different than my invention? Lasttye ?

He still lives around the Fulham area, My mate Paul was chatting to him a few weeks ago,
post #10188 of 19269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post


He still lives around the Fulham area, My mate Paul was chatting to him a few weeks ago,

I wonder Lasttye if Mr.Eccles has anything to say about his Skinhead youth.

post #10189 of 19269
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

I wonder Lasttye if Mr.Eccles has anything to say about his Skinhead youth.

I dont know Yankmod, I have not seen him since around 73 when i stopped going to Chelsea, My mate Paul who is Three years younger than myself said Danny and some of the Shed boys joined 44 Parachute Brigade in the mid 70s,
I went to a 60th Birthday last year everyone there was Chelsea...once people started getting drunk all the old stories come out..its funny most blokes never really grow up, biggrin.gif
post #10190 of 19269

Nuff said Lasttye.Thanks for the response.Had to look up The 44 Parachute Brigade.Not surprised they joined.Makes sense.TA

post #10191 of 19269

Anyone seen the movie "In Time" with Justin Timberlake? It came out 2 years ago and I definitely feel a strong presences of mod/suedehead influence in the clothing.

post #10192 of 19269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure_Drop View Post

Anyway to my point - I've always wondered about the guys wearing cravats, was this a 'London thing' as I never saw anyone wearing them down our way or anywhere else 'ooop North'?

I think what you're seeing here are not actually cravats as such, but silk or 'man-made silk' scarves. We always wore our scarves 'cravat style' (though not inside our shirts).
post #10193 of 19269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

Never saw anyone wear a cravat in the 60s/70.

Likewise!
post #10194 of 19269
There are Pictures of Mods wearing Cravats(like I said it was earlier 60s).You are right about the Scarves-and those are the ones that I wore later. smile.gif
post #10195 of 19269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post


Anyone that knew the mobs that had leaders knew this guy... Roy's your man. satisfied.gif

A question: was there a fella called 'Greenaway' too?

Micky Greenaway was the bloke who in the mid 60s got the various gangs to join together to create the Shed at Chelsea . He was not a Skin or even a hooligan but a total Chelsea fanatic . Eccles was the man who made these various skinhead gangs into a united fighting force . He turned 65 this weekend im told and was supposed to be having a doo over Chelsea with various old school in celebration 

http://www.theshedend.com/topic/22509-hickeys-coach/page-2  the B n W pics show Eccles and the infamous Babs at White Heart lane  ( the one armed half caste feller ) who was by 78 when the pic is taken  the new  leader at Chelsea .

post #10196 of 19269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

Dunno if this has been seen by most of us: London's Football Gangs - 1971-2.

http://greatwen.com/2012/02/24/londons-football-gangs-1972/

And this, we have: http://greatwen.com/tag/skinheads/

The entire site is superb, IMHO.

satisfied.gif


I don't remember seeing this before but its a good read and rings true with my recollections. I don't want to start 'bigging myself up' but I have memories from '66 to '72 regarding the football gangs. I was at the West Ham v Man.Utd game in 1967. As a 13 yr old I was standing in the child/youth section of the North bank which was at raised level in the corner. Man U gangs got to the game early (you could get in 2 hours before the game) and they brought bottles and pint glasses of beer with them. The North Bank 'hard nuts' from Mile End, Stepney and Bethnal Green spent Lunch time drinking in the Boleyn Pub (my older cousin told me afterwards when I asked him what went wrong). When they arrived the vast number of MU were firmly established in the centre of the North Bank. The West Ham boys charged but were driven back when MU threw bottles and glasses into the roof rafters and glass showered down on them and us kids in the youth section. It was pretty scary but it was the only time I remember the North Bank being taken. Man U won 6-1 to add to the humilation and Best played a blinder and got a standing ovation..

post #10197 of 19269
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


It was interesting when they quote West Ham.You had the North Bank,but when London Teams came and took up all the Visitor Allocations-you had the "Chicken Run".The Lower East Stand was where it started,and here the hard-core West Ham would stand.They then piled into the side of the other Fans.The Old Bill would try and stop them,but then they charged across the corner of the Pitch.Interesting to read about Croydon though.Always thought they were Crystal Palace,you learn something every day. smile.gif


I remember standing in the 'Chicken Run' when Harry Redknapp was playing on the wing for West Ham. I think because West Ham support was made up of lots of small gangs with no one leader the different gangs had their own preferred spot. When it 'kicked-off at West Ham it could happen almost anywhere in the ground. Getting close to rivals in the South Bank meant that Lower East Stand and the 'Chicken Run' could be prime positions. When the opposition supporters were thin on the ground I have seen West Ham fighting amongst themselves particularly when ICF came on the scene. I didn't know the West Ham/Croydon connection but in recent years I have met one or two older West Ham fans from South of the river. I always thought it was because of the Moore, Hurst, Peters team. I always had  a soft spot for Crystal Palace because in the early days they played in a claret/blue hooped strip. I think West Ham may have given them their colours in the early days

post #10198 of 19269
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

Micky Greenaway was the bloke who in the mid 60s got the various gangs to join together to create the Shed at Chelsea . He was not a Skin or even a hooligan but a total Chelsea fanatic . Eccles was the man who made these various skinhead gangs into a united fighting force . He turned 65 this weekend im told and was supposed to be having a doo over Chelsea with various old school in celebration 
http://www.theshedend.com/topic/22509-hickeys-coach/page-2  the B n W pics show Eccles and the infamous Babs at White Heart lane  ( the one armed half caste feller ) who was by 78 when the pic is taken  the new  leader at Chelsea .

You are right about Micky Greenaway R.I.P Flyfronted, Other mobs wrongly thought he was the leader, he was just a well known respected Chelsea supporter,
Regarding Eccles it may have been his birthday recently ..but you will find it was his 60th, I always put him down as 18 months older than myself..which i have mentioned before, also he was a leader of his own little mob in the Shed, The Shed was made up of many Mobs and we all had our own leaders, My Mob the Kilburn Aggro Mob ..with our allies The Hendon Mafia was the biggest mob at one time in the Shed, we had two leaders both will be 60 this year, Gerry H and Albert C, another Mob in the Shed was the North End Road Mob, which is in Fulham..also the Battersea Mob,..plus loads of other little Mobs.
Babs who as you said was a leader down Chelsea late 70s/80s he is the same age as my mate Paul who i mentioned above , who are 3 years younger than I...and would have been nippers in 69.Both Babs and Paul are still mates to this day.

The average age for a Chelsea Shed Boy in 69 would have been 14 to 16 we was known as a young Mob, often we would be fighting Men of 17/18 biggrin.gif
Anyone who in 69 was either 13 or over 19 would have been to young or to old,biggrin.gif
post #10199 of 19269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post


You are right about Micky Greenaway R.I.P Flyfronted, Other mobs wrongly thought he was the leader, he was just a well known respected Chelsea supporter,
Regarding Eccles it may have been his birthday recently ..but you will find it was his 60th, I always put him down as 18 months older than myself..which i have mentioned before, also he was a leader of his own little mob in the Shed, The Shed was made up of many Mobs and we all had our own leaders, My Mob the Kilburn Aggro Mob ..with our allies The Hendon Mafia was the biggest mob at one time in the Shed, we had two leaders both will be 60 this year, Gerry H and Albert C, another Mob in the Shed was the North End Road Mob, which is in Fulham..also the Battersea Mob,..plus loads of other little Mobs.
Babs who as you said was a leader down Chelsea late 70s/80s he is the same age as my mate Paul who i mentioned above , who are 3 years younger than I...and would have been nippers in 69.Both Babs and Paul are still mates to this day.

The average age for a Chelsea Shed Boy in 69 would have been 14 to 16 we was known as a young Mob, often we would be fighting Men of 17/18 biggrin.gif
Anyone who in 69 was either 13 or over 19 would have been to young or to old,biggrin.gif

Been told by those who were going to Danny's drink it was his 65 ?  those famous Shed boys pics of 1970 that get used for the xmas cards  he looks  easily 20 http://www.modculture.co.uk/chelsea-skinheadyouth-christmas-cards/  sadly in 69 i was 11 and while old enough to know what i wanted clobber wise to young to be able to earn money to pay for it ..  Do you remember or know Little Jesus ? he was a name i kept on hearing about .

post #10200 of 19269
If Danny is now 65 . That would make him 22 in 69, far to old, even makes MoM, and Brownji seem young, Lol.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead