or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 673

post #10081 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

I was in the Levi store in Glasgow yesterday and got talking to a really nice young woman who actually works for the UK Levi company and is interested in the history of Levi as a fashion item - that appears to be part of her remit in the company. I told her about 'the book' (yes, I know it's a long time coming...) and this thread, and about how we had been... er... discussing vigorously how widespread the Levi Trucker jacket was amongst skinheads. I showed her how 'Northern' mods in 1968 would have fastened the buttons on a jacket, how they would have turned up the cuffs once, and so on. She was surprised to hear about the (again northern) fashion of taking the leather label from one's jeans and sewing it above the left breast-pocket of the jacket.

I have sent her a couple of pics from 1969, and have opened a dialogue, just in case she has any archive information, or indeed if the finished book will be of any interest to the company. Who knows - it could be mutually beneficial to promote it. Just speculating here.

Good Idea M.O.M.Like it.

post #10082 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

I understand what your sayin.The woman who talked about skinhead girls attacking hippies wit their shoes is Viv from the Slits and probably like many Brit Punks came out of the Original Skinhead movement as wee ones.Kevin Rowland was also one.I do feel that your correct about Perry shorts imitating British Style Genius(who did a better job) and it seems from what I've learned on this thread that it was a narrow story they told.There might not be enough info on the subject other than oral tradition which is what we are simulating here.I think your response is important here for those who don't know and will see what you have to say.Thanks for the response.

Viv from the Slits is 57 now (I looked her biography up). She would have been a teenager in the first skinhead era, and would no doubt have come into contact with skins at her inner London comprehensive at the time (it must have been one of the first). But what insight does she give us in the film? She says that skin girls wore opaque white tights and attacked her with their shoes! I suspect she was only interviewed because she was one of Don Letts's music industry contacts, like most or all of the others in the short.

 

Kevin Rowland is another matter. He at least wrote a piece about the original skinhead style (with photos of himself circa 1968) for Paul Gorman's book: 'The Look. Adventures in rock and pop fashion'. Gorman also appears in Letts's film.


Edited by Watermelon man - 1/10/13 at 11:57am
post #10083 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

I was in the Levi store in Glasgow yesterday and got talking to a really nice young woman who actually works for the UK Levi company and is interested in the history of Levi as a fashion item - that appears to be part of her remit in the company. I told her about 'the book' (yes, I know it's a long time coming...) and this thread, and about how we had been... er... discussing vigorously how widespread the Levi Trucker jacket was amongst skinheads. I showed her how 'Northern' mods in 1968 would have fastened the buttons on a jacket, how they would have turned up the cuffs once, and so on. She was surprised to hear about the (again northern) fashion of taking the leather label from one's jeans and sewing it above the left breast-pocket of the jacket.

I have sent her a couple of pics from 1969, and have opened a dialogue, just in case she has any archive information, or indeed if the finished book will be of any interest to the company. Who knows - it could be mutually beneficial to promote it. Just speculating here.


What would also be interesting to add, if you can get Levi Strauss Co. on board is the history of Sta Prest. Levi's has an archive web site, here: http://www.levistrauss.com/about/heritage/archives

post #10084 of 18908
Wait to hear the results of that,M-o-M.smile.gif
post #10085 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

The Real Problem is it's Newbury St.Never buy anything on Newbury st. except Newbury comics.

 

 

 

Nah man, it ain't all bad.  Gant has a shop now where you can get properly-collared buttondown shirts; Fred Perry has a couple decent things(though none of which are made in England anymore sadly); Brooks Brothers has a fine assortment of stuff; Levi's has some nice selvedge/selvage, albeit majorly overpriced, togs; Allen Edmonds shop down the end has a decent selection of gunboats; etc. 

 

There's definitely some proper skinhead gear on that street if you look hard enough...  Though I get your point-- it isn't exactly the type of place I would go for the nightlife.  It's just as touristy as Faneuil Hall and quite a bit douchier(an Americanism for you non-yanks-- "twatty" maybe is the equiv).  

post #10086 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brideshead View Post



That is a nice photo of you, Mr.Brideshead - we can see you properly. How young you look......... I must be getting old...
post #10087 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

I was in the Levi store in Glasgow yesterday and got talking to a really nice young woman.

Chatting up young ladies again, Mr.Mystery?
post #10088 of 18908

Don't know if I've mentioned this before but I work for Levi's in San Francisco. 

The Levi's archive is quite extensive and run by an obsessive called Lynn Downey. They're most interested in old denim from the goldminer days but I might be able to access old catalogs/ads etc featuring sta-prest and trucker jackets etc... No one here at Levi's US (except me) seems to be the remotest bit interested in Levi's place in skinhead fashion history and to be honest I often avoid bringing it up because the last thing anyone needs is another corporation exploiting it for the wrong reasons. They are happy to go on exploiting their rock'n'roll/marlon brando/james dean roots etc. That said I think the book that's coming out of this thread is going to 'set the record straight' in a lot of ways and it may well be something that Levi's would want to be involved in or at least help promote. 

post #10089 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post

 

 

 

Nah man, it ain't all bad.  Gant has a shop now where you can get properly-collared buttondown shirts; Fred Perry has a couple decent things(though none of which are made in England anymore sadly); Brooks Brothers has a fine assortment of stuff; Levi's has some nice selvedge/selvage, albeit majorly overpriced, togs; Allen Edmonds shop down the end has a decent selection of gunboats; etc. 

 

There's definitely some proper skinhead gear on that street if you look hard enough...  Though I get your point-- it isn't exactly the type of place I would go for the nightlife.  It's just as touristy as Faneuil Hall and quite a bit douchier(an Americanism for you non-yanks-- "twatty" maybe is the equiv).  

Well, I guess I'm jaded because I work at Bobby From Boston.

post #10090 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelon man View Post


What would also be interesting to add, if you can get Levi Strauss Co. on board is the history of Sta Prest. Levi's has an archive web site, here: http://www.levistrauss.com/about/heritage/archives

I'm assuming that that is the archive to which the young woman I met has input. I'm waiting to see.
post #10091 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Queenie View Post

Chatting up young ladies again, Mr.Mystery?

Precisely. I was in there with my daughter - she was upstairs looking for some jeans in the sale. I shouted up to her "Hey Ruth, take your time - I've pulled!"

biggrin.gif
post #10092 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksinstyle View Post

Don't know if I've mentioned this before but I work for Levi's in San Francisco. 
The Levi's archive is quite extensive and run by an obsessive called Lynn Downey. They're most interested in old denim from the goldminer days but I might be able to access old catalogs/ads etc featuring sta-prest and trucker jackets etc... No one here at Levi's US (except me) seems to be the remotest bit interested in Levi's place in skinhead fashion history and to be honest I often avoid bringing it up because the last thing anyone needs is another corporation exploiting it for the wrong reasons. They are happy to go on exploiting their rock'n'roll/marlon brando/james dean roots etc. That said I think the book that's coming out of this thread is going to 'set the record straight' in a lot of ways and it may well be something that Levi's would want to be involved in or at least help promote. 

I think that's possibly because since 'our' era came and went, the term 'skinhead' has become associated (rightly or wrongly) with sieg-heiling bonedomes, so who can blame them. But anyway, please do keep in touch - I like the way you're thinking.
post #10093 of 18908

Is this the end of Solovair as we know it? http://www.solovairdirect.com/?gclid=COvz9fb237QCFUfNOgode2EAVA

post #10094 of 18908
No. That US Solovair site has been around for ages. They also have a smart new UK site, done by the people at ACB.

(You still can't buy direct from them in the UK.)

What I'd like to know is what's happening to Baracuta. The brand has been bought up by another firm, and they're not trading at the moment, AFAIK.
post #10095 of 18908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

Precisely. I was in there with my daughter - she was upstairs looking for some jeans in the sale. I shouted up to her "Hey Ruth, take your time - I've pulled!"

biggrin.gif

Just checking you weren't losing your touch!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead