or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 668

post #10006 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

Bunty,putting up the Tv Programmes from Christmas `69,bought back memories of the biggest loathing-me and my Sisters had,every year.It was the bloody Circus!!My Mum and Dad would always insist on having it on and we Kids hated it.Even to this day we talk about bloody Billy Smarts.(my Dad actually knew him quite well-don`t know how though).As a kid we never went near any Circuses....biggrin.gif

Bertram Mills circus at Earls Court for me. I went quite a few times. Dogs playing football dressed as Arsenal v Spurs plus all the usual attractions.

In the old days TV dominated Christmas. People knew what was on and planned what to watch. Nowadays I could not care less like many others.
post #10007 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post

Happy Christmas to all of you on this great forum, good luck and best wishes for 2013.
Christmas Day 1969 - Thursday 25th December 1969 - BBC-1 Television

Wot? No Great Escape? I thought that was on every year? biggrin.gif

 

I can now recall why on xmas 1969 a gang of us were roaming the streets in the evening to find a pub that was open so as not to stay in and watch the TV.  For teenagers who wanted to be out with their mates xmas night was a boring time as nothing was going on.  Nowdays there nothing better than to have all your family around you.  back then we were rebellious

 

Nice posting Bunty. 

 

The all important Top of the Pops was there that you had to twist round while eating your xmas diner to get a glimpse of what was being shown

post #10008 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post

Hello again, just caught up at last., great stuff as usual.
Some interesting photos -


No info.

No info
Dance to the Music by Sly and the Family Stone, I'm assured this was another belting dance record that didn't really fit in with the norm.

 

First pic might well be from a series of photos from 1969-1970. This one particularly looks very similar to the one I'm sharing below and it's from the Easter of April 1969 (according to the owner). Someone also told me that those girls were from Bedford, but I'm not sure about that (http://on.fb.me/TYMvgc).

1000

 

Second photo should be around 1969. If you notice, there appear the same girls as on the picture I'm sharing below but with a a little bit "younger". The girl who is stood up next to the boy in the far right looks similar to the girl with the knit top (Joanne), the girl with the gingham shirt is the one with the dark suit below (Cristina), the girl with the ringlets to the side and white shirt and skirt has her hair very long in the picture below and it's probably wearing the same clothes (Carole), the other girl with the check shirt is Jan and below she is wearing a light colour suit. Jan found this picture I'm sharing on the Facebook page of my blog and told us that it was at the Top Rank in Reading around 1969/1970. Her mates also commented on the photo, they are in their fifties now. You can read it here http://on.fb.me/WGDNE6

 

1000

post #10009 of 18556
Christmas Eve 1969, I took a beautiful blond Skinhead girl from Sloane Square Chelsea, I had tickets for The Tottenham Royal, Christmas Eve was High point of the Skinhead scene in London, after that it was down hill,smile.gif
post #10010 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriela View Post

First pic might well be from a series of photos from 1969-1970. This one particularly looks very similar to the one I'm sharing below and it's from the Easter of April 1969 (according to the owner). Someone also told me that those girls were from Bedford, but I'm not sure about that (http://on.fb.me/TYMvgc).

1000


Second photo should be around 1969. If you notice, there appear the same girls as on the picture I'm sharing below but with a a little bit "younger". The girl who is stood up next to the boy in the far right looks similar to the girl with the knit top (Joanne), the girl with the gingham shirt is the one with the dark suit below (Cristina), the girl with the ringlets to the side and white shirt and skirt has her hair very long in the picture below and it's probably wearing the same clothes (Carole), the other girl with the check shirt is Jan and below she is wearing a light colour suit. Jan found this picture I'm sharing on the Facebook page of my blog and told us that it was at the Top Rank in Reading around 1969/1970. Her mates also commented on the photo, they are in their fifties now. You can read it here http://on.fb.me/WGDNE6

1000

Thanks Gabriela for the Info.Welcome to the Forum,you Ladies can certainly bring a wealth of Memories onto here.

Interesting to read Comments from some of the Girls.One I believe came from Mychett.I wonder if she went to the Big "C"in North Camp,Farnborough.My first Missus used to go to Reading Top Rank on a regular basis.
post #10011 of 18556
Both the pictures are mine. The group one and the one of the four girls. Three of the four girls are in the group photo. One girl is not. The photos were both taken around the same time late 69 to 70 at the Top Rank in Reading. Us four girls are still good friends and we are in touch with one of the boys. We all came from Mytchett, 2 are still around the area and 2 of us are in Australia. I did go to the Carousel / Big C Club in North Camp but my brother went there a lot more than me as he was older. The Big C shut down not too long after I left school. We did go to The Agincourt, the Blue Moon, Pantiles, The Marina and many more of the local haunts. I would be interested to know how my pictures come to be on here, where they were got from. Just interested, not concerned.
post #10012 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by janwinky View Post

Both the pictures are mine. The group one and the one of the four girls. Three of the four girls are in the group photo. One girl is not. The photos were both taken around the same time late 69 to 70 at the Top Rank in Reading. Us four girls are still good friends and we are in touch with one of the boys. We all came from Mytchett, 2 are still around the area and 2 of us are in Australia. I did go to the Carousel / Big C Club in North Camp but my brother went there a lot more than me as he was older. The Big C shut down not too long after I left school. We did go to The Agincourt, the Blue Moon, Pantiles, The Marina and many more of the local haunts. I would be interested to know how my pictures come to be on here, where they were got from. Just interested, not concerned.

Welcome to the Site,janwinky.I believe the Photos were posted by a Member,as reference to Fashion of the Skinhead/Suedehead Times.We do not have too many Ladies from that time,to tell us about their Experiences,Likes/Dislikes etc.,etc.There is Book in the making,so if you wish to contribute please contact "Man of Mystery"(a Member on here).He will tell you the ins and outs.We are telling it like it was,as there has been a lot of bad Media Coverage.Only a few weeks ago,we had to change this Threads` Name-because of a faceless Bureaucrat.Nothing Sinister on our part.
Good to see you went to class Clubs.I knew them well(I was 19 in `69,and lived in Guildford during that time.
post #10013 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

Thanks Gabriela for the Info.Welcome to the Forum,you Ladies can certainly bring a wealth of Memories onto here.
Interesting to read Comments from some of the Girls.One I believe came from Mychett.I wonder if she went to the Big "C"in North Camp,Farnborough.My first Missus used to go to Reading Top Rank on a regular basis.

Thanks for the welcome! I am not one of the originals though, I'm only 24 years old! But I may add I am really interested in the original style and I try to follow it, my favourite period goes from the last months of 1969 to the first months of 1970.
I like collecting memorabilia from the time and I have a blog focused on late 60's and early 70's stuff and thanks to I have got in contact with quite a few original skinheads. It's very nice when they found themselves on the pictures on the FB page of my blog and start sharing their memories, some of them have even contributed in posts with pics and experiences.
So here I am looking forward to taking part in the conversation, I do know a few ones on here too. Hope to share interesting content. Cheers!
post #10014 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriela View Post

Thanks for the welcome! I am not one of the originals though, I'm only 24 years old! But I may add I am really interested in the original style and I try to follow it, my favourite period goes from the last months of 1969 to the first months of 1970.
I like collecting memorabilia from the time and I have a blog focused on late 60's and early 70's stuff and thanks to I have got in contact with quite a few original skinheads. It's very nice when they found themselves on the pictures on the FB page of my blog and start sharing their memories, some of them have even contributed in posts with pics and experiences.
So here I am looking forward to taking part in the conversation, I do know a few ones on here too. Hope to share interesting content. Cheers!

Do you know Little Queenie on here?A Lady who would have been very welcomed amonst the `69 Skinhead Fraternity.Knows Her Stuff as well!!!smile.gif
post #10015 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


Do you know Little Queenie on here?A Lady who would have been very welcomed amonst the `69 Skinhead Fraternity.Knows Her Stuff as well!!!smile.gif

 

No, not really, only from what I have been following the thread but not in person. I know some but from reggae do's smile.gif

post #10016 of 18556
Been following this discussion for quite a long time, and don't remember seeing this mentioned.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/camden-Festival-5-30-69.html
post #10017 of 18556
I thought i'd just give a tip: I was rummaging around the post-christmas sales and in a H&M shop, and under the brand L.O.G.G, i found real raw denim selvage jeans for the equivalent of about 35€ or so.
post #10018 of 18556
soz - still pissed. shog[1].gif
post #10019 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lots View Post

Been following this discussion for quite a long time, and don't remember seeing this mentioned.
http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/camden-Festival-5-30-69.html
I liked that - especially words like 'duffed' and 'enmasse' (sic) - thanks for posting.

Those naughty skinheads, eh?
post #10020 of 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lots View Post

Been following this discussion for quite a long time, and don't remember seeing this mentioned.
http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/camden-Festival-5-30-69.html

Great find,Thanks.Bridget St John was my nieghbor in the Village NYC.She lived upstairs(6th floor)with her then teenage daughter.Nice folks.At the time she was preparing to do some gigs in japan and was very excited.She refused to  talk about Nick Drake.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead