• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys - what's up with the Shoes here?
Just returned for a vacation & visit home after many years away.

Some of the Fugliest shoes I have ever seen. Everything is pointed and 'Gondola' shaped.
I even walked past a guy in the Sydney conservative business dress yesterday in a white pair, with a black suit.
Some scarey ****.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome back to Australia! ;-)

Sadly, shoes in Australia are hideously designed and shockingly overpriced.
Most men think that Aquila is the height of fashion and that shoes with twin seams running to a peculiarly shaped toe are elegant and desirable. Yes, I've seen quite a few fellows wearing white shoes with suits. I thought that went out with the 1980s, along with gold chains and wide collared, open-necked shirts but it appears that they are making a comeback...

Mesclun

Reaction score
Hey guys long time lurker.

Couldn't agree more regarding shoes in Oz. It's so disheartening walking around Sydney trying to find decent shoes. I usually do the trudge between DJs, the two Josephs, and Lloyd but inevitably come away empty handed. It's usually ridiculously overpriced or an aesthetic compromise. I make do with a couple of plain pairs of Florsheim Imperials but would love something of better quality and style. Perusing the shoe Appreciation threads here makes me so jealous.....

Spot

Reaction score
I have been having the same problem finding shoes in Sydney. The best option for affordable English shoes I have found so far is DJ's, which has a limited range of Loake's; most are on the 026 last in the Comfort range. When they are on sale they go for around $300. I found a pair which fit, and am now looking at the UK-based Herrings website, which has a bigger range of styles on various lasts. As well as the normal Loake models, the Herrings "Classic Collection" are made by Loake, and look OK; I'll report back when I have a pair. Depending on the exchange rate, they work out to about AUD$250, which is cheaper than most white pointy shoes from Aquila. Herringbone also stock rebadged Cheaney shoes.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

Yeah it's pretty bad. Girls at work said I needed to get a baggy cut dress pant with square toe shoes.

I think I'll keep my RM's and Allen Edmonds thanks.

Aquila is so rediculously overpriced for what you get. At that price, it isn't much more to get C&J from plal.com, especially when you look at the life expectancy of the shoe, and the cost per wear. Discount shopping is massive here - people really don't value quality components and construction. People do value a brand however.

I can't understand gold chains. I can't understand the open necked, hamburger meat look. I don't get white shoes.

Australia, land of the paper shoes.

fox81

Reaction score
I used to like some of the Hudson shoes that Aquila sell. No goodyear this and blake stitch that, agreed, but they were fairly nice looking if not fashion forward shoes.

Now i've come to the uk and realise that they are sold thru topshop/topman, office and other fairly run of the mill places. And loake at $300aud? No one wears loake here. The crappy menswear stores here sell them.

aleeboy

Reaction score
when I lived in Sydney, I found there were not many places to buy good shoes. DJs has probably the best range when it comes to luxury shoes. There is a place on Pitt street opposite the Piccadilly and in the Strand that stock Churchs, but other than that I found Ag has pretty good shoes. Although they offer a limited range: Ag, Dolce & Gabbana and Cesare Paciotti.

I have to say that the abundance of Aquila shoes is a reason to miss home a little less
bounce2.gif

pvpatty

Reaction score
My advice: go to DJ's, get your size in Loake and then order that same size in C&J from plal or ebay. Get some RMs too.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
What a response.
Arrived in Melbourne (home) today and took my folks to 'The Flower Drum', which was excellent and the service flawless.
Coffee at Pellegrini's afterwards and it was as good as I remember.
I stumbled across 'American Tailors' and managed a 45 second 'peek' through the window, as my wife pointed out that it would be innapropriate to inflict my C&J obsession on them.
I will make it back next week for a proper look.
I picked up the RM's & some moleskins already in Sydney.
Not planning on any other purchases, other than meat and seafood to cook and some good Mornington Peninsular Pinot.

Star

Reaction score
Fate has not always be kind to me on the battle field however it was kind enough to show me the way to this site and learn about shoes.

I agree Men's shoes in Sydney are hideous.

Confucius

Reaction score
If you think it's bad in Sydney, I can only imagine that it's worse here in Melbourne. The new Westfield just opened up near my house about 3-4 weeks back, and the DJs had 30% off Loake! Pity they were all ugly and I had just bought new shoes.

I saw a dude wearing a black suit (looked like it was from Casual Guy) with tan "snake skin" shoes. Ugh...

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try Singapore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads