or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 666

post #9976 of 52580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall41 View Post

Sounds like a good deal - go for it.
I have been a knocker of HB in the past, based on their often outrageous mark-ups on regular stock. Of course, Harrolds and American Tailors (in Melbourne) are not any better. On sale, however, HB is often worth investigating - you might not find a bargain exactly (wool ties notwithstanding?) although the mark-ups are at least bearable, bearing in mind you are paying a premium for the convenience of inspecting / trying on the item in store. Moreover, you are supporting a local, long-established business which no doubt has high overheads (occupying prime retail space in both Melbourne and Sydney).
I sometimes think that Aussies on this forum (myself included) are a little too ready to snipe at places like HB. However, I would be genuinely sad and disappointed if HB et al closed their doors. Australia would be left even more of a sartorial wastland than it already is.
My $0.02

Why did you have to write this while I was writing my post above?Agree about Herringbone, Henry Bucks, American Tailors etc being a good place to look and get ideas and even make purchases to keep jobs/business going here and have places to see good menswear (unlike Myer, Daivd jones, Arthur Galan etc).

I will justify it by telling myself that as a British citizen it is my job to help the economic troubles there and by buying from a British site I am doing my national service.
post #9977 of 52580
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post

Did anyone check out the Paolo Albizzati wool ties at the HB's sale? Fkin lovely. At $49 I was sorely tempted...

Yeah, saw those; should have picked up a few, but I've spent too much already...
post #9978 of 52580
Pink Socks, Bad karma indeed. biggrin.gif

I think that Herringbone generally offers far better value than HB etc, although I find their shirt prices a bit OTT for RTW.

If it makes you feel better I have been doing my bit for the British economy too, especially that part of the Midlands known as Northampton.
post #9979 of 52580
In a bit of a dilemma here...maybe someone can give me some advice

I got quoted around $250-300 form Katrinas to get my 42R suit sized down to a 38R which includes fixing the shoulders, tapering the sleeves and taking the waist in (without adjusting the length of the jacket which I think needs to be done (which is probably a mammoth task)). On top of that it's $50 to alter the pants (waist taken in, tapering of the legs and hemming). Now looking at it from an economics point of view, it would be cheaper to do this than to get a new 38R suit from say...Herringbone for $900.

The suit that I'm considering fixing up was $500 when I bought it. It's some no name Daniel Hechter brand. Should I consider saving it?
post #9980 of 52580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall41 View Post

Pink Socks, Bad karma indeed. biggrin.gif

Hope not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall41 View Post

If it makes you feel better I have been doing my bit for the British economy too, especially that part of the Midlands known as Northampton.

Tempted to this too... and then I better find a nice Scottish brand for something, though I will be helping the economy by getting married there in July.
post #9981 of 52580
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetminimal View Post

In a bit of a dilemma here...maybe someone can give me some advice
I got quoted around $250-300 form Katrinas to get my 42R suit sized down to a 38R which includes fixing the shoulders, tapering the sleeves and taking the waist in (without adjusting the length of the jacket which I think needs to be done (which is probably a mammoth task)). On top of that it's $50 to alter the pants (waist taken in, tapering of the legs and hemming). Now looking at it from an economics point of view, it would be cheaper to do this than to get a new 38R suit from say...Herringbone for $900.
The suit that I'm considering fixing up was $500 when I bought it. It's some no name Daniel Hechter brand. Should I consider saving it?

I have had good experiences using Katrinas for alterations over the past few years, which have included some larger jobs. The quote does not strike me as unreasonable given what you are requesting. However, there is no way that I would ask an alterations tailor to resize a suit down two whole sizes. Too risky and I suspect you will not be 100% happy with the outcome. Flog the suit (or give to charity) and buy a new one. Bite the bullet.
post #9982 of 52580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post

Suppose, hypothetically speaking, you were to visit the Henry Bucks sale and tried on a few Boglioli unstructured jackets that fitted you very well for Off the Rack and looked and felt very good, and though they were very nice and you were tempted you decided $800 or more was too much to spend on an jacket that was not MTM and that you did not necessarily need (or where not thinking about getting for a while).
Then, hypothetically speaking, you were just browsing online as you liked the jackets and wanted to know more, get peoples experiences of the brands and see more options and photographs. Then, hypothetically speaking, you might be tempted by the prices available, which were less than half price (including delivery) of the sale items in Henry Bucks (see links below).
http://www.kafka.co.uk/sale/Boglioli_0_413_0_de_c.html
http://www.kafka.co.uk/browse/Boglioli_0_413_0_de_c.html
http://www.flannelsfashion.com/designers/men/boglioli/boglioli-sale.aspx
http://www.flannelsfashion.com/designers/men/boglioli/boglioli-new-season.aspx
http://www.yoox.com/YOOX/BOGLIOLI/men/fall-winter/searchResult/ene_m/4294949433/ipp/40/gender/U/toll/A/tskay/4E228119/dept/men#pg=1&sort=0&ipp=200&ene_designer=4294949433&ene_macrodesigner_descr=¯omicro_yoox=&color=&waist=&wash=&silhouette=&Environment=&IdAuthor=&size=&spr_code=&textSearch=&last=ipp
http://www.yoox.com/searchresult.asp?tskay=4E228119&dept=men&gender=U&toll=P&ipp=40&pg=1&sort=0&ene_m=4294949433&ene_mm=&c=&color=&waist=&wash=&silhouette=&environment=&idAuthor=&tg=&price_range=&textsearch=#pg=1&sort=0&ipp=200&ene_designer=4294949433&ene_macrodesigner_descr=¯omicro_yoox=&color=&waist=&wash=&silhouette=&Environment=&IdAuthor=&size=&spr_code=&textSearch=&last=ipp
http://www.fransboonestore.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=boglioli
What then if you, "hypothetically speaking", bought one as your size was available and cheap (ish - based on what you have seen and read) - http://www.flannelsfashion.com/designers/men/boglioli/boglioli-sale/boglioli-sale-details/i/14144-b1 . Should you then feel guilty for using Henry Bucks as a "try on" service and not supporting Australian business or lament that you you are priced out by the Australian retailer. It kind of upsets me when one of the main reasons I started to think about a Boglioli jacket, or even buying a blazer now, instead say in 6 months when back in the UK, was that I saw it in Henry Bucks, but buying it for double the price just seems ridiculous. 10% price up maybe but not 50% (especially when that is literally hundreds of dollars - not small change, even in Prince of Paisley's book ).
Anyway, just in case anyone else, hypothetically, have visited Henry Bucks and had the same thoughts. Hope it turns out well and I am not hit by some sartorial karma.


Well played, Socks. Well played. I vote not guilty on all counts. 

post #9983 of 52580
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am DIL View Post



Well played, Socks. Well played. I vote not guilty on all counts. 

Thank you.
post #9984 of 52580
Holy mother of God, Pink Socks. Thanks for putting a whole bunch of temptingly priced nice clothing in front of me. Must resist....
post #9985 of 52580
Sorry. That is what happen to me when I started looking at Boglioli online. Will stick with P Johnson Tailors for most things, slowly, slowly, but broke to the temptation on this (probably not a bad thing, good fit, reasonable price, will have much use for a more casual unstructured navy blazer).

Be strong, but keep us informed if you break...
post #9986 of 52580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post

Should you then feel guilty for using Henry Bucks as a "try on" service and not supporting Australian business or lament that you you are priced out by the Australian retailer.

I can see your dilemma. But IMO, HB's markups are quite exorbitant. Though they may argue that this is the only way they can survive, due to lower volume of sales, I am strongly in support of the "adapt or die" mentality and cannot in good conscience condone the high mark ups they are currently charging. I do not expect them to match online prices, but I also cannot see why as a retailer who buys at wholesale prices from suppliers, they somehow see fit to charge twice the amount of recommended retail prices offered in brick and mortar stores overseas. Not to mention the savings they would have had from the strong Aussie dollar these past few years which, by most accounts, they have failed to pass on to their customers.

I second the not guilty verdict.
Edited by "6" - 2/6/12 at 9:54pm
post #9987 of 52580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post

Sorry. That is what happen to me when I started looking at Boglioli online. Will stick with P Johnson Tailors for most things, slowly, slowly, but broke to the temptation on this (probably not a bad thing, good fit, reasonable price, will have much use for a more casual unstructured navy blazer).
Be strong, but keep us informed if you break...

I hear you. Was very tempted by a Hackett suit at HB on sale but it was still massively over priced.

That 'Flannels' website looks interesting.
post #9988 of 52580
Quote:
Originally Posted by " 
I can see your dilemma. But IMO, HB's markups are quite exorbitant. Though they may argue that this is the only way they can survive, due to lower volume of sales, I am strongly in support of the "adapt or die" mentality and cannot in good conscience condone the high mark ups they are currently charging. I do not expect them to match online prices (for that not feasible), but I also cannot see why as a retailer who buys at wholesale prices from suppliers, they somehow see fit to charge twice the amount of recommended retail prices offered in brick and mortar stores overseas. Not to mention the savings they would have had from the strong Aussie dollar these past few years which, by most accounts, they have failed to pass on to their customers.
I second the not guilty verdict.

Australian Members SFers make the best sartorial lawyers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ernesto View Post

I hear you. Was very tempted by a Hackett suit at HB on sale but it was still massively over priced.
That 'Flannels' website looks interesting.

Will let you know how it works out.
post #9989 of 52580
I'm curious as to how American Tailors has been lumped into the 'Henry Bucks mark-up' bin.

When Henry Bucks have sales, their prices move from ludicrous to expensive. When American Tailors have sales their products are often the cheapest you will find anywhere on planet Earth.
post #9990 of 52580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post

Suppose, hypothetically speaking, you were to visit the Henry Bucks sale and tried on a few Boglioli unstructured jackets that fitted you very well for Off the Rack and looked and felt very good, and though they were very nice and you were tempted you decided $800 or more was too much to spend on an jacket that was not MTM and that you did not necessarily need (or where not thinking about getting for a while)... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Then, hypothetically speaking, you were just browsing online as you liked the jackets and wanted to know more, get peoples experiences of the brands and see more options and photographs. Then, hypothetically speaking, you might be tempted by the prices available, which were less than half price (including delivery) of the sale items in Henry Bucks (see links below).
http://www.kafka.co.uk/sale/Boglioli_0_413_0_de_c.html
http://www.kafka.co.uk/browse/Boglioli_0_413_0_de_c.html
http://www.flannelsfashion.com/designers/men/boglioli/boglioli-sale.aspx
http://www.flannelsfashion.com/designers/men/boglioli/boglioli-new-season.aspx
http://www.yoox.com/YOOX/BOGLIOLI/men/fall-winter/searchResult/ene_m/4294949433/ipp/40/gender/U/toll/A/tskay/4E228119/dept/men#pg=1&sort=0&ipp=200&ene_designer=4294949433&ene_macrodesigner_descr=&macromicro_yoox=&color=&waist=&wash=&silhouette=&Environment=&IdAuthor=&size=&spr_code=&textSearch=&last=ipp
http://www.yoox.com/searchresult.asp?tskay=4E228119&dept=men&gender=U&toll=P&ipp=40&pg=1&sort=0&ene_m=4294949433&ene_mm=&c=&color=&waist=&wash=&silhouette=&environment=&idAuthor=&tg=&price_range=&textsearch=#pg=1&sort=0&ipp=200&ene_designer=4294949433&ene_macrodesigner_descr=&macromicro_yoox=&color=&waist=&wash=&silhouette=&Environment=&IdAuthor=&size=&spr_code=&textSearch=&last=ipp
http://www.fransboonestore.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=boglioli
What then if you, "hypothetically speaking", bought one as your size was available and cheap (ish - based on what you have seen and read) - http://www.flannelsfashion.com/designers/men/boglioli/boglioli-sale/boglioli-sale-details/i/14144-b1 . Should you then feel guilty for using Henry Bucks as a "try on" service and not supporting Australian business or lament that you you are priced out by the Australian retailer. It kind of upsets me when one of the main reasons I started to think about a Boglioli jacket, or even buying a blazer now, instead say in 6 months when back in the UK, was that I saw it in Henry Bucks, but buying it for double the price just seems ridiculous. 10% price up maybe but not 50% (especially when that is literally hundreds of dollars - not small change, even in Prince of Paisley's book ).
Anyway, just in case anyone else, hypothetically, have visited Henry Bucks and had the same thoughts. Hope it turns out well and I am not hit by some sartorial karma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by " 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I can see your dilemma. But IMO, HB's markups are quite exorbitant. Though they may argue that this is the only way they can survive, due to lower volume of sales, I am strongly in support of the "adapt or die" mentality and cannot in good conscience condone the high mark ups they are currently charging. I do not expect them to match online prices (for that not feasible), but I also cannot see why as a retailer who buys at wholesale prices from suppliers, they somehow see fit to charge twice the amount of recommended retail prices offered in brick and mortar stores overseas. Not to mention the savings they would have had from the strong Aussie dollar these past few years which, by most accounts, they have failed to pass on to their customers.
I second the not guilty verdict.

I think the key difference here is that HB is basically re-selling a foriegn brand at an inflated price. This not only allows consumers to find the exact same thing online for half that price, it encourages this behaviour.

Where Australian retailers sell their own designed, sourced and branded items (alas, generally never "made" as well), it becomes much harder (read: impossible) to look online for the same thing to get it cheaper. The proposition then simply becomes "will I pay $xx for this nice jacket?", not "will I get this for half price online?".

In the former case I would pay $800 for the right RTW jacket, sure, assuming the quality and fit justified it in my mind. In the second case, I think you'd be pretty foolish to pay significantly above the odds to a capitalist - whether he be local or not - for something that is clearly worth a lot less than what you would be paying for it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members