or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 364

post #5446 of 52458
hey guys

anyone know where i can get a similar pair like these shoes without breaking the bank?

post #5447 of 52458
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
If anyone's interested, I spotted some Rhodes and Beckett suits going down to $399. Pretty damn alright for half canvassed in Australia. The one I saw was that same one I wanted from couple of weeks earlier: Chocolate POW check. The drop has got to be a 7 or an 8. I really would be all over it if the pants were not so tight across my thighs as the jacket fit me really well. I also saw some of their shirts for $70 which is also decently priced enough.

Surprised there's still anything left. The various R&B stands I've wandered past over the last couple of weeks haven't had much variety - mostly black and charcoal - and at $899.
post #5448 of 52458
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
hey guys

anyone know where i can get a similar pair like these shoes without breaking the bank?

I purchased a similar pair of suede half brogues from Charles Tyrwhitt a few years ago, which have held up well although I wear them infrequently. You could try there. Also, Pediwear and Herring Shoes for Loake, Cheaney etc.
post #5449 of 52458
Speaking of good deals, Zegna in Sydney (MLC Centre) is having its yearly sale (30, 40, or 60% off stock). Good for kopping a decent tie for about $60-$70AUD.

Got me a silk-cashmere tie in navy shot with brown for about $60!

Best time of the year to buy anything from the Z.

Cheers

P.S. Will try to post pics of P Johnson no. 2 (french navy twill) soon. Best darn navy suit I own...
post #5450 of 52458
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSM View Post
Surprised there's still anything left. The various R&B stands I've wandered past over the last couple of weeks haven't had much variety - mostly black and charcoal - and at $899.

From looking at people on the streets, I don't think many people have the balls to wear a suit that is not black or grey and one that's patterned at that. The same suit has been sitting there for weeks.


Speaking of Zegna, anyone know where can I kop any of those Zegna Montenapoleone 27 ties?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #5451 of 52458
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
From looking at people on the streets, I don't think many people have the balls to wear a suit that is not black or grey and one that's patterned at that. The same suit has been sitting there for weeks.


Speaking of Zegna, anyone know where can I kop any of those Zegna Montenapoleone 27 ties?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Those are the knits I was referring to, BM!

Think there's two navy cashmere knits (in Sydney) at 30% off, and a green stripe on white at 60%off!

Are you in Melbourne? Maybe try their Melbourne Boutique.

Only time worth buying the Z is when is on sale like that.
post #5452 of 52458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist View Post
Those are the knits I was referring to, BM!

Think there's two navy cashmere knits (in Sydney) at 30% off, and a green stripe on white at 60%off!

Are you in Melbourne? Maybe try their Melbourne Boutique.

Only time worth buying the Z is when is on sale like that.

Win! When do the stores close? If its 6 I'm straight there after work.
post #5453 of 52458
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
Win! When do the stores close? If its 6 I'm straight there after work.

Not sure, but I'm guessing 6PM, given that it's the city we're talking about.

Good hunting.
post #5454 of 52458
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
hey guys

anyone know where i can get a similar pair like these shoes without breaking the bank?


You know I'm not a fan of those, they look like they should be an oxford for some reason, can't put my finger on it. But in saying that, I didn't think much of Lobbs in general until I went to Leather Soul in Hawaii last year and the lasts are much nicer in real life,.

To answer your question though, try the Herring Reading, I'm wearing mine today. Made by Loake, quality is ok, not amazing though and definitely not up to 1880 standards, but priced accordingly.

Meanwhile I'm anxiously waiting for my Carmina Bordeaux Derby's to come from the Armoury, they are one of the best looking Derby's I have come across (I'm usually an oxfor man all the way).
post #5455 of 52458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post

Meanwhile I'm anxiously waiting for my Carmina Bordeaux Derby's to come from the Armoury, they are one of the best looking Derby's I have come across (I'm usually an oxfor man all the way).

They look great. I have always much preferred Derby's for some reason.
post #5456 of 52458
I don't know why, but I seem to have developed a certain love for oxfords and general indifference to derby shoes now days. Is it because they look cleaner and neater? Or is it the uniqueness of them in the Aussie concrete wasteland where the derby shoes dominate? Perhaps a bit of both.
post #5457 of 52458
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
I don't know why, but I seem to have developed a certain love for oxfords and general indifference to derby shoes now days. Is it because they look cleaner and neater? Or is it the uniqueness of them in the Aussie concrete wasteland where the derby shoes dominate? Perhaps a bit of both.

Exact same reasons for me too actually, but the last on these Carmina's is very elegant.

post #5458 of 52458
So I raced down to Zegna straight after work today and... didn't buy anything. The sensible old side of me won the battle and the lover of ties side of me is feeling quite sore right now. $80 for a tie, I don't know how I'm almost willing to drop that much down, when this very same time last year I declared that there is no way I'm dropping more than $40 on one. edit: on second thought I might just pop down there again tomorrow and buy it. :S
post #5459 of 52458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvaggio View Post
Okay Australian members - here is a 'what price style dilemma?' for you...

I bought some vintage Florsheim Royal Imperial longwings at Rozelle markets on Saturday. They are beautiful, heavy old school brogues and the shell cordovan (yes, I'm sure) has a great patina too it. With a condition and polish up they are now a rich deep mahogany colour. Just really nice shoes - and at $5, a bargain as well.

Only problem is they are a bit too big for me. Width is fine, but they would be, maybe, a size and half too long. I am wearing them today and they feel, as you would expect, a bit odd. I don't slide around, but I have them laced tight.

What to do? Keep and just make do or pass them on - or can a cobbler pad out the heal cup or something?

I wouldn't do anything too dramatic yet, as I find it takes a few wears for the shoes insole to conform to your foot - say five or six at least. Once that happens you will find it fits much better. If it still feels somewhat loose, first go the heel pads that go against the inside back of shoes heel. If its still lose, get a tounge pad. If they dont work, I would say give up at this point. Some cobblers may suggest half insole inserts - I have tried these and they just don't feel right.

What size did you score out of interest? I am amazed that people are able to pick up such great shoes on the cheap, I see nothing but crap in op shops my way.
post #5460 of 52458
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
So I raced down to Zegna straight after work today and... didn't buy anything. The sensible old side of me won the battle and the lover of ties side of me is feeling quite sore right now. $80 for a tie, I don't know how I'm almost willing to drop that much down, when this very same time last year I declared that there is no way I'm dropping more than $40 on one.
What are the sale suits like in terms of range/prices?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members