Looks maybe 2x2 basket/hopsack weave which is just a variation of plain weave using 2 yarn vs 1 yarn
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 3496post #52426 of 572467/27/14 at 4:20am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #52427 of 572467/27/14 at 5:23ampost #52428 of 572467/27/14 at 5:41pm
are we talking cloth or fabric here?. If cloth definitely not hopsack or nailhead, and closest to a birdseye but the length between the birdseyes is not long enough vertically to be that from the way I see the photo. This looks the same length vertically as diagonally so can't be birdseye. If shirting, I would have to guess a bit of oxford as a rough outsider. Either way if you have a cat,it would pull it to bits. any of those weaves, one drunken night leaning against the rough concrete wall and your birdseye has a little thread coming out.Have you bought it already? ask the shop would be the best bet, they should have that info or be able to get it.
Tip for any reading re white /black birdseye, and POW check for that matter... always wear the coat as much as possible. Eventually you get a difference in colour between the white of the jacket and the yellowing white of the trouser.
Hope that is helpful
Have a good day. Keep looking for that " Anne Wilkins" No stalking, just looking.
Brendonpost #52429 of 572467/27/14 at 5:55pmpost #52430 of 572467/27/14 at 7:28pmpost #52431 of 572467/27/14 at 7:35pmpost #52432 of 572467/27/14 at 7:42pmpost #52433 of 572467/27/14 at 8:06pmQuote:
Cheers. Think the second pic is more accurate.Quote:
Yeah gorge isn't right.
As for it being a bit standard/boring, it's a bog standard G and H (and priced as such).post #52434 of 572467/27/14 at 8:28pmpost #52435 of 572467/27/14 at 8:37pmQuote:
I like it a bit higher and I think that would be the consensus around here.
I don't think that jacket is too bad, and I have seen some jackets lately where the gorge appears to be disappearing over the shoulder, but higher would be better.post #52436 of 572467/27/14 at 10:00pm
fair call.... From a technical point of view a peak lapel on the high gorge can be a disaster when you can see it come over from the back of the jacket. There is a limit as to how high you can get gorge and get a good run of the collar. Still most of my clients would have their gorge around there. But most of them have not heard of Style forum too.The young bucks a little higher and the older gentleman I am working on today, much lower but still about an inch above the norm from say 10 or so years ago. Thanks for replying on this too. Putting a line in the sand on the internet, great and when the fashion changes to the lower gorge in 15 years I will not be quoting this back to you. On a positive the sleeve is well pressed on this coat at the crown and the cut is not as bad as some I have seen. At the end of the day it is all opinion. The suit is really the culmination in a hundred years of the male being the dominant of the species in society. In fact the cut of suits over the last decade would be one of the first times it has moved away from this. If I was a social historian this would be interesting, but as a tailor it can be a challenge and tailors from Beau B onwards have always had to deal with fashion. I have a large collection ( large for me) of tailoring books going back to the late 1880's with weekly a hundred or so Tailor and Cutters going back to the 1940's and " todays look" comes up often. You can see the gorge go up and down a little. The current trend is the highest I have seen it. In the Thornton's Sectonal System 1st Ed, they talk about fashion as it would have applied to the elite. The best name of a garment I have read about to date...." Tally Ho Breeches" what fun they must have been.
Brendonpost #52437 of 572467/27/14 at 10:51pm
I have indeed seen pictures of Al Jolson and a young Bing Crosby from the late 20s and 30s where the coats are tighter cut, with less shoulder padding, more cut away at the bottom of the front, and worn shorter like current trends. When choosing a sports coat or suit (RTW or to be made), I generally feel that an un-padded shoulder with a high gorge doesn't look good on me (I'm round enough already). I prefer a small amount of padding with a gorge somewhere between the modern trend and the classic position, perhaps something like Brendon is discussing. But that's just for me, on me.post #52438 of 572467/27/14 at 10:54pmpost #52439 of 572467/27/14 at 10:59pm
- Australian Members
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 50 seconds ago
- › @@@@Northern Illinois vs Western Michigan Live 2 minutes ago
- › Canada Goose 2 minutes ago
- › NWT Sweaters Megapost: Brioni Zegna Rag & Bone Malo Luciano Barbera... 2 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 3 minutes ago
- › get=====NEW@@@@Northern Illinois vs Western Michigan Live 3 minutes ago
- › Northern Illinois vs Western Michigan Live 5 minutes ago
- › The Marcell / Rosenbaum Process - Seriously considering it.. 5 minutes ago
- › ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 6 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...
- › How to Get What You Really Want This Holiday...
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...