This thread cracks me up.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 3370
Styleforum Top Pickspost #50537 of 578566/5/14 at 5:30pmpost #50538 of 578566/5/14 at 5:36pm
When I polish, I use a horsehair brush as the first buffing step after applying conditioner/cream/wax. Doesn't do a great job of getting a shine, but is most useful, IMO, to get out anything that has gotten into the perforations before you start buffing with whatever type of cloth you use.
If you've forgotten to do this and it has hardened, then I'd say a toothrush is probably the best bet?
I also use a toothbrush to clean the welt area.post #50539 of 578566/5/14 at 5:42pmpost #50540 of 578566/5/14 at 6:02pmpost #50541 of 578566/5/14 at 6:03pmpost #50542 of 578566/5/14 at 6:03pmpost #50543 of 578566/5/14 at 6:44pmpost #50544 of 578566/5/14 at 6:50pmpost #50545 of 578566/5/14 at 7:01pmpost #50546 of 578566/5/14 at 7:08pmpost #50547 of 578566/5/14 at 7:17pmQuote:Set up sophisticated shoe care kit.**
Get one large ice cream container - empty - tear one old white cotton T shirt into 4 pieces.
Buy cheap shoe brush from supermarket.
Buy tubes of Collinol with sponge top/applicator, in 3 or 4 basic colours, (mid brown, dark brown, black, burgundy/mahogany), apply to shoes, in various combinations as mood takes you.
Brush to dull shine, wear shoes.
Buy BIG tube of WAPRO leather furniture conditioner - slather on shoes every 3 months or so and leave for 24 hours before brushing off.
If you have suede shoes.
Buy tin of suede spray-on protector - spray on before wearing first time and every few months afterwards.
Buy or purloin from child a soft white rubber/eraser to remove stains.
Pinch soft pumice stone from a beauty kit to remove stains.
Use old stiff tooth brush to brush up suede.
Most important: Spread newspaper on kitchen table to perform the cleaning every couple of weeks or so.
Note: this will not necessarily impress people or make a good photo on a menswear tumblr. But it will cost very little and look after you shoes as well as anything more expensive.
** it is assumed that, unless you are a total idiot, you will have Topy on shoes sole unless they are rubber or Dainite.
Edited by fxh - 6/5/14 at 7:28pmpost #50548 of 578566/5/14 at 7:17pmpost #50549 of 578566/5/14 at 7:35pm
On shoe care, here's a good guide. Sorry for the ugly links, couldn't insert the images to a good enough size.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/7ccaa1e3264737e7b037b9d969fbdc32/tumblr_mnolo7a3ll1qhxld1o3_1280.jpgpost #50550 of 578566/5/14 at 7:36pmQuote:If you follow one of the million add links around here to the hangar project the have a very comprehensive guide to shoeshining and the use for all their different products. That's how I taught myself. They only sell sapphir though so starting out with their gear will be pretty pricey.
There you go
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 9 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 11 minutes ago
- › En Noir x Gap Moto Jeans. Sz. 29x32. 10/10 condition 12 minutes ago
- › Uniqlo +J 2014 Duffle Coat. Sz. L Taiwan (Fits like S/M). 10/10... 13 minutes ago
- › Nike Flyknit Trainer+ Multicolor. Sz. 8. 14 minutes ago
- › Converse Major Mills Black Boots. Sz 7 15 minutes ago
- › BRAND NEW +J 2014 Down Jacket. Sz. L Taiwan (Fits like S/M). ... 16 minutes ago
- › Common Projects B-Ball Hi, Black. Sz. 40. 8/10 condition 17 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 18 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 18 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...