This thread cracks me up.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 7/26/15 at 6:46pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Australian Members - Page 3370
Styleforum Top Pickspost #50537 of 639566/5/14 at 5:30pmpost #50538 of 639566/5/14 at 5:36pm
When I polish, I use a horsehair brush as the first buffing step after applying conditioner/cream/wax. Doesn't do a great job of getting a shine, but is most useful, IMO, to get out anything that has gotten into the perforations before you start buffing with whatever type of cloth you use.
If you've forgotten to do this and it has hardened, then I'd say a toothrush is probably the best bet?
I also use a toothbrush to clean the welt area.post #50539 of 639566/5/14 at 5:42pmpost #50540 of 639566/5/14 at 6:02pmpost #50541 of 639566/5/14 at 6:03pmpost #50542 of 639566/5/14 at 6:03pmpost #50543 of 639566/5/14 at 6:44pmpost #50544 of 639566/5/14 at 6:50pmpost #50545 of 639566/5/14 at 7:01pmpost #50546 of 639566/5/14 at 7:08pmpost #50547 of 639566/5/14 at 7:17pmQuote:Set up sophisticated shoe care kit.**
Get one large ice cream container - empty - tear one old white cotton T shirt into 4 pieces.
Buy cheap shoe brush from supermarket.
Buy tubes of Collinol with sponge top/applicator, in 3 or 4 basic colours, (mid brown, dark brown, black, burgundy/mahogany), apply to shoes, in various combinations as mood takes you.
Brush to dull shine, wear shoes.
Buy BIG tube of WAPRO leather furniture conditioner - slather on shoes every 3 months or so and leave for 24 hours before brushing off.
If you have suede shoes.
Buy tin of suede spray-on protector - spray on before wearing first time and every few months afterwards.
Buy or purloin from child a soft white rubber/eraser to remove stains.
Pinch soft pumice stone from a beauty kit to remove stains.
Use old stiff tooth brush to brush up suede.
Most important: Spread newspaper on kitchen table to perform the cleaning every couple of weeks or so.
Note: this will not necessarily impress people or make a good photo on a menswear tumblr. But it will cost very little and look after you shoes as well as anything more expensive.
** it is assumed that, unless you are a total idiot, you will have Topy on shoes sole unless they are rubber or Dainite.
Edited by fxh - 6/5/14 at 7:28pmpost #50548 of 639566/5/14 at 7:17pmpost #50549 of 639566/5/14 at 7:35pm
On shoe care, here's a good guide. Sorry for the ugly links, couldn't insert the images to a good enough size.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/7ccaa1e3264737e7b037b9d969fbdc32/tumblr_mnolo7a3ll1qhxld1o3_1280.jpgpost #50550 of 639566/5/14 at 7:36pmQuote:If you follow one of the million add links around here to the hangar project the have a very comprehensive guide to shoeshining and the use for all their different products. That's how I taught myself. They only sell sapphir though so starting out with their gear will be pretty pricey.
There you go
- Australian Members
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.
- › Loro Piana 100% Cashmere Brick Red Sweater 50/Large 42 seconds ago
- › Viberg Boots 1 minute ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 1 minute ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 3 minutes ago
- › RLPL *Pure Cashmere* Blazer 40R 4 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Brown Suede Dover Penny Loafers UK 13 / US 14 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...