This thread cracks me up.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 4/17/16 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 3370post #50536 of 679466/5/14 at 5:21pmpost #50537 of 679466/5/14 at 5:30pmpost #50538 of 679466/5/14 at 5:36pm
When I polish, I use a horsehair brush as the first buffing step after applying conditioner/cream/wax. Doesn't do a great job of getting a shine, but is most useful, IMO, to get out anything that has gotten into the perforations before you start buffing with whatever type of cloth you use.
If you've forgotten to do this and it has hardened, then I'd say a toothrush is probably the best bet?
I also use a toothbrush to clean the welt area.post #50539 of 679466/5/14 at 5:42pmpost #50540 of 679466/5/14 at 6:02pm
Don't know how you guys are struggling shining your shooz
I brush, renovatuer, let dry for like 10-15min, brush hard, dampen a cloth, half a pea-sized polish and a spray of water, rub it in circles, and then repeat until mirror. Easy.post #50541 of 679466/5/14 at 6:03pmpost #50542 of 679466/5/14 at 6:03pmThis just popped up on my Tumblr feed - http://hangerproject.tumblr.com/post/87910946534/an-oldie-but-goody-kirby-shows-how-the-highpost #50543 of 679466/5/14 at 6:44pmpost #50544 of 679466/5/14 at 6:50pmpost #50545 of 679466/5/14 at 7:01pmpost #50546 of 679466/5/14 at 7:08pmpost #50547 of 679466/5/14 at 7:17pmQuote:Set up sophisticated shoe care kit.**
Get one large ice cream container - empty - tear one old white cotton T shirt into 4 pieces.
Buy cheap shoe brush from supermarket.
Buy tubes of Collinol with sponge top/applicator, in 3 or 4 basic colours, (mid brown, dark brown, black, burgundy/mahogany), apply to shoes, in various combinations as mood takes you.
Brush to dull shine, wear shoes.
Buy BIG tube of WAPRO leather furniture conditioner - slather on shoes every 3 months or so and leave for 24 hours before brushing off.
If you have suede shoes.
Buy tin of suede spray-on protector - spray on before wearing first time and every few months afterwards.
Buy or purloin from child a soft white rubber/eraser to remove stains.
Pinch soft pumice stone from a beauty kit to remove stains.
Use old stiff tooth brush to brush up suede.
Most important: Spread newspaper on kitchen table to perform the cleaning every couple of weeks or so.
Note: this will not necessarily impress people or make a good photo on a menswear tumblr. But it will cost very little and look after you shoes as well as anything more expensive.
** it is assumed that, unless you are a total idiot, you will have Topy on shoes sole unless they are rubber or Dainite.
Edited by fxh - 6/5/14 at 7:28pmpost #50548 of 679466/5/14 at 7:17pmpost #50549 of 679466/5/14 at 7:35pm
On shoe care, here's a good guide. Sorry for the ugly links, couldn't insert the images to a good enough size.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/7ccaa1e3264737e7b037b9d969fbdc32/tumblr_mnolo7a3ll1qhxld1o3_1280.jpgpost #50550 of 679466/5/14 at 7:36pmQuote:If you follow one of the million add links around here to the hangar project the have a very comprehensive guide to shoeshining and the use for all their different products. That's how I taught myself. They only sell sapphir though so starting out with their gear will be pretty pricey.
There you go
This thread is locked
- Australian Members
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? 2 minutes ago
- › Ties/Socks - Pantherella + BBBF + Varvatos + Brioni + PRL + Lot 3 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 4 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 4 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 6 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts