This thread cracks me up.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 3/3/15 at 7:09am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Australian Members - Page 3370
Styleforum Top Pickspost #50537 of 613756/5/14 at 5:30pmpost #50538 of 613756/5/14 at 5:36pm
When I polish, I use a horsehair brush as the first buffing step after applying conditioner/cream/wax. Doesn't do a great job of getting a shine, but is most useful, IMO, to get out anything that has gotten into the perforations before you start buffing with whatever type of cloth you use.
If you've forgotten to do this and it has hardened, then I'd say a toothrush is probably the best bet?
I also use a toothbrush to clean the welt area.post #50539 of 613756/5/14 at 5:42pmpost #50540 of 613756/5/14 at 6:02pmpost #50541 of 613756/5/14 at 6:03pmpost #50542 of 613756/5/14 at 6:03pmpost #50543 of 613756/5/14 at 6:44pmpost #50544 of 613756/5/14 at 6:50pmpost #50545 of 613756/5/14 at 7:01pmpost #50546 of 613756/5/14 at 7:08pmpost #50547 of 613756/5/14 at 7:17pmQuote:Set up sophisticated shoe care kit.**
Get one large ice cream container - empty - tear one old white cotton T shirt into 4 pieces.
Buy cheap shoe brush from supermarket.
Buy tubes of Collinol with sponge top/applicator, in 3 or 4 basic colours, (mid brown, dark brown, black, burgundy/mahogany), apply to shoes, in various combinations as mood takes you.
Brush to dull shine, wear shoes.
Buy BIG tube of WAPRO leather furniture conditioner - slather on shoes every 3 months or so and leave for 24 hours before brushing off.
If you have suede shoes.
Buy tin of suede spray-on protector - spray on before wearing first time and every few months afterwards.
Buy or purloin from child a soft white rubber/eraser to remove stains.
Pinch soft pumice stone from a beauty kit to remove stains.
Use old stiff tooth brush to brush up suede.
Most important: Spread newspaper on kitchen table to perform the cleaning every couple of weeks or so.
Note: this will not necessarily impress people or make a good photo on a menswear tumblr. But it will cost very little and look after you shoes as well as anything more expensive.
** it is assumed that, unless you are a total idiot, you will have Topy on shoes sole unless they are rubber or Dainite.
Edited by fxh - 6/5/14 at 7:28pmpost #50548 of 613756/5/14 at 7:17pmpost #50549 of 613756/5/14 at 7:35pm
On shoe care, here's a good guide. Sorry for the ugly links, couldn't insert the images to a good enough size.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/7ccaa1e3264737e7b037b9d969fbdc32/tumblr_mnolo7a3ll1qhxld1o3_1280.jpgpost #50550 of 613756/5/14 at 7:36pmQuote:If you follow one of the million add links around here to the hangar project the have a very comprehensive guide to shoeshining and the use for all their different products. That's how I taught myself. They only sell sapphir though so starting out with their gear will be pretty pricey.
There you go
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Strand Hatters Sydney - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Australian Members 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 2 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 4 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 5 minutes ago
- › 2015 MLB Season Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 8 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 9 minutes ago
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...