or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 3367

post #50491 of 55199
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

I dunno - I thought that faux denim suit you made for yourself looked ok. Maybe the denim shirt and bow tie took it to a different level but y'know not bad...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #50492 of 55199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Britney, I can feel your sadness
The world is filled with madness
And everybody takes it out on you
And there's nothing you can do

But girl I want you to know
that I'm not one of those,
Because I don't care what they all say
I'd still have sex with you any day.

Any day

Britney, nobody really knows you
Yet, they all think they can judge you
Although I'm not a fan of your music
The way they treat you girl, it makes me sick

Just know that I can hear your cries
And I still love to get between those thighs
Because I don't care what they all say
I'd still have sex with you any day.

Any day

And if you want to marry me
As long as I don't have to sign a pre-nup 
I agree

'cause I don't care what they all say
No, I don't care what they all say
I'd still tap that ass any day

 

 

post #50493 of 55199
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa View Post

Cheers mate, that's exactly what I was referring to. And given the above, I don't think you can scold someone because of how they use 'tailor' and 'bespoke'.

Why do people get so defensive when I say it, but it's all sweet and good when you say it?

Probably because I don't then jump down a logical rabbit hole by saying 'anyone who can stitch a suit together is a tailor', or that because we live in a democracy if the majority say black is white then I guess I'm wearing white captoes today.

smile.gif

As to whether you can scold someone for how they use the words 'tailor' or 'bespoke', I guess that boils down to how much they know and what their intentions are. These puff pieces are rarely written by people who understand the intricacies of the subject matter they are scribbling about. Patrick probably didn't write it, he may have just had a phone convo with a "journo" (again, loose language I think in this instance but indulge me). Terms and quotes can easily get muddied etc. especially if there is no secondary review process. And it's probably just not worth his while to spend another three emails to the hack explaining he is a 'professional fitter with shirtmaking experience' rather than a 'tailor'.
post #50494 of 55199
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa View Post
 

It's still your product, even if it is outsourced. Those tailors are employed by his company.

How good are those TVs Gerry Harvey makes eh? He is a bloody talented man.

post #50495 of 55199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post


This is right.
I sniggered after reading this (see what I did there)

Rob may chime in if he reads this but to me it sounds like an interview done through a PR person, with a few terms like bespoke and tailor thrown in to the copy. At least I hope so. It's one thing to call your company a "tailors" when of course you have tailors working/contracted to you, but it's another to call yourself a tailor when your simply fitting garments.

If you wanna see a tailor, look up the Rory Duffy videos on A Suitable wardrobe posted over the last few months. That guys a tailor!

Those videos are unique, massive insight into just how much work goes into a suit. Something about his accent makes it a joy to watch as well.

post #50496 of 55199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Probably because I don't then jump down a logical rabbit hole by saying 'anyone who can stitch a suit together is a tailor', or that because we live in a democracy if the majority say black is white then I guess I'm wearing white captoes today.

smile.gif

As to whether you can scold someone for how they use the words 'tailor' or 'bespoke', I guess that boils down to how much they know and what their intentions are. These puff pieces are rarely written by people who understand the intricacies of the subject matter they are scribbling about. Patrick probably didn't write it, he may have just had a phone convo with a "journo" (again, loose language I think in this instance but indulge me). Terms and quotes can easily get muddied etc. especially if there is no secondary review process. And it's probably just not worth his while to spend another three emails to the hack explaining he is a 'professional fitter with shirtmaking experience' rather than a 'tailor'.

 

Noted. And agreed.

 

But I think the attack on the use of 'majority' in my argument is more an attack on society's reliance on using a majority to determine a resolution, rather than an attack on my logical reasoning.

 

If the majority of people say your shoes are black, when they are white to you, then indeed, they're black.

post #50497 of 55199

Yay or nay?

 

80184a

post #50498 of 55199
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa View Post
 

It's still your product, even if it is outsourced. Those tailors are employed by his company.

 

Being a pedant would assume you're correct. But I don't see how you are more correct than someone that has a broader less 'picky' definition of bespoke.

 

I'd hazard a guess that simply because you employ tailors, you're not automatically able to call yourself a tailor.

 

In any case, those tailors aren't directly employed by P.Johnson, but they're instead employed by an actual tailoring company.

 

Using your argument, if I owned a company that subcontracted lawyers to perform due diligence and to write contracts but I have no legal training myself, could I still call myself a lawyer because we outsourced work to a law firm??

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa View Post
 

Noted. And agreed.

 

But I think the attack on the use of 'majority' in my argument is more an attack on society's reliance on using a majority to determine a resolution, rather than an attack on my logical reasoning.

 

If the majority of people say your shoes are black, when they are white to you, then indeed, they're black.

 

This reminds me rather of Alice's conversation with a large, talking egg in "Through the Looking Glass":

 

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."

 

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

 

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master — that's all."

post #50499 of 55199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post
 

Yay or nay?

 

 

 

 

Calf, or shell cordovan?

 

If cordovan, then I'd say yes. If calf, then I'd say that I, personally, would prefer the boot to be in a grain leather.

post #50500 of 55199
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa View Post

Noted. And agreed.

But I think the attack on the use of 'majority' in my argument is more an attack on society's reliance on using a majority to determine a resolution, rather than an attack on my illogical (FTFY) reasoning.

If the majority of people say your shoes are black, when they are white to you, then indeed, they're black.

Double Speak 101 Orwell would be proud of you boy.
post #50501 of 55199
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa View Post

Noted. And agreed.

But I think the attack on the use of 'majority' in my argument is more an attack on society's reliance on using a majority to determine a resolution, rather than an attack on my logical reasoning.

If the majority of people say your shoes are black, when they are white to you, then indeed, they're black.

1310.gif
post #50502 of 55199
B!tch interviewing him has pink hair. What did you expect?
post #50503 of 55199
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa View Post
If the majority of people say your shoes are black, when they are white to you, then indeed, they're black.

You make an intelligent a well reasoned argument. In your next episode, why not debate whether the grass is blue and sky green by popular opinion - supported by a Today Tonight grade poll.

post #50504 of 55199
Missing Doc already...the 80s were pretty good fun listening to these blokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAt00jX2VSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdX6QVPTwrs
post #50505 of 55199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
 

 

 

Calf, or shell cordovan?

 

If cordovan, then I'd say yes. If calf, then I'd say that I, personally, would prefer the boot to be in a grain leather.

Saddle shell. I have seen three different photos of the same shoe, capturing the color in different shades under different lighting conditions.  The actual color is more towards mid-brown, like the color of the captoes in the picture. My hope is that, barring any major changes in feet size, that this pair of shoes will last forever. Prices for shell cordovan probably will have to rise steeply in the coming years, if at all obtainable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members