Sadly i was at the gym working off one too many Pinot Noir's from last night and missed him.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 3/3/15 at 7:09am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
Last edited: 5/7/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Australian Members - Page 3295post #49411 of 621505/9/14 at 6:46pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #49412 of 621505/9/14 at 7:10pmpost #49413 of 621505/9/14 at 7:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by Journeyman
Sadly, charity bins are almost non-existent nowadays as fools kept on putting rubbish inside them or dumping unsuitable items beside them and was costing charities much more to clean them up and sort out the rubbish/useless stuff from the good stuff than it was worth.
I think that a lot of charity shops (well, here in Brisbane, at least) also have too much stuff. Most of the clothing that people want to donate is rubbish and now that people can purchase so much cheap stuff from Target/K-Mart etc, there's no market for cheap, second-hand clothes of that ilk and so charity shops end up with an over-supply of very ordinary, second-hand clothes that they can't sell and so they end up sorting them and using a lot of the clothes for rags.
Perhaps if we were in Melbourne it would be a different story, as charity shops seem to be of better quality down there!
Yeah I thought that might have been the case with the bins, shame I thought they were convenient but yes costly I guess if people are abusing them.post #49414 of 621505/9/14 at 7:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by meister
A lot in Sydney like it when you take it in there and they see it's clean and ready to go on the rack. Biggest problem is splitting up the suits so it ends up as rags. Huge mistake brought on by paying nothing for it. Some management idea that better to get a quick sale for some bottom pair of suit trousers than keep the items intact. At the same time the number of people patronising op shops seems bigger than ever. Users and flippers.
You wouldn't believe the shit that people give op shops. I know a lot about it as Ms fxh employment runs an opshop as a fundraiser and I do stuff with Wear For Success. Ms. Is friends with her opshop manager and costs of disposing of rubbish people dump is a big worry. There is stuff that can't be recycled as rags etc, they can spend up to $ 300 some weeks on rubbish disposal. I've seen wet rotting stuff and dirty stuff you could never clean. Trousers with huge holes in crutch etc etc etc.
Separating suits is partly staff who don't know what a suit is. In opshops men's don't buy suits they buy a suit jacket to wear with jeans . so there isn't much of a premium on keeping suits together. All this is excluding the Salvos, who are the Harrolds of opshops, crazy expensive prices. I've been trying to get some intelligence from inside but there's a sense they set prices high , then half price then throw out stock on the basis one suit Sold @$45 is better than two @$15post #49415 of 621505/9/14 at 7:30pmpost #49416 of 621505/9/14 at 8:45pmpost #49417 of 621505/9/14 at 9:29pmpost #49418 of 621505/9/14 at 10:26pm
Even if they have free access to the tip, there are still a lot of staffing expenses associated with sorting all the rubbish from the decent stuff and then running the rubbish to the tip, if necessary.post #49419 of 621505/9/14 at 10:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by fxh
All this is excluding the Salvos, who are the Harrolds of opshops, crazy expensive prices. I've been trying to get some intelligence from inside but there's a sense they set prices high , then half price then throw out stock on the basis one suit Sold @$45 is better than two @$15
What I can't understand is the discrepancy between pricing in the Salvos stores. The prices in petit bourgeois Gladesville are higher than the Norvern Beaches so they end up with so much unsold stuff 6 months later the $100 Hugo Boss suit is $10. Can't work it out.post #49420 of 621505/9/14 at 10:55pmpost #49421 of 621505/10/14 at 12:08amQuote:Originally Posted by fxh
Separating suits is partly staff who don't know what a suit is. In opshops men's don't buy suits they buy a suit jacket to wear with jeans . so there isn't much of a premium on keeping suits together. All this is excluding the Salvos, who are the Harrolds of opshops, crazy expensive prices. I've been trying to get some intelligence from inside but there's a sense they set prices high , then half price then throw out stock on the basis one suit Sold @$45 is better than two @$15
This separating suits must be a new twist when I lived in Melbourne I bought a dozen suits or more and even in Sydney I picked up suits. Mind you I don't think I've gotten anything decent from an op shop for years.post #49422 of 621505/10/14 at 12:11ampost #49423 of 621505/10/14 at 12:22ampost #49424 of 621505/10/14 at 1:30ampost #49425 of 621505/10/14 at 2:21amQuote:
Yeah it's kinda high, and one of the things I'd love if they dropped in a good inch or so. But I wear the Havana casually - and mostly unbuttoned (again, casual environment) - so it's less of an issue.
The La Spalla has a 3-roll-2, and the middle button sits at a point I think is flattering on me. Much lower than the Havana.Quote:
RL Preston pants are great. $50 ea from the RL outlet.
High rise, good room in the thigh - but they need to be massively slimmed from the thighs down. I'm talking completely reworked. And they have an inseam of like 38" or something crazy. That feel when you're a 28" inseam :(
Hope this helps, homeslice.
- Australian Members
- Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › Friday Challenge May 22nd 2015: Add some orange to your outfit 18 seconds ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 53 seconds ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 2 minutes ago
- › A morning at Horween Leather Company. 2 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE MAY 29 2015: Dress like a Fruit...or Vegetable 4 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 5 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 6 minutes ago
- › NWOB Stuart's Choice Boots 10 D 8 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan