Sadly i was at the gym working off one too many Pinot Noir's from last night and missed him.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 3295post #49411 of 523585/9/14 at 6:46pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #49412 of 523585/9/14 at 7:10pmpost #49413 of 523585/9/14 at 7:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by Journeyman
Sadly, charity bins are almost non-existent nowadays as fools kept on putting rubbish inside them or dumping unsuitable items beside them and was costing charities much more to clean them up and sort out the rubbish/useless stuff from the good stuff than it was worth.
I think that a lot of charity shops (well, here in Brisbane, at least) also have too much stuff. Most of the clothing that people want to donate is rubbish and now that people can purchase so much cheap stuff from Target/K-Mart etc, there's no market for cheap, second-hand clothes of that ilk and so charity shops end up with an over-supply of very ordinary, second-hand clothes that they can't sell and so they end up sorting them and using a lot of the clothes for rags.
Perhaps if we were in Melbourne it would be a different story, as charity shops seem to be of better quality down there!
Yeah I thought that might have been the case with the bins, shame I thought they were convenient but yes costly I guess if people are abusing them.post #49414 of 523585/9/14 at 7:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by meister
A lot in Sydney like it when you take it in there and they see it's clean and ready to go on the rack. Biggest problem is splitting up the suits so it ends up as rags. Huge mistake brought on by paying nothing for it. Some management idea that better to get a quick sale for some bottom pair of suit trousers than keep the items intact. At the same time the number of people patronising op shops seems bigger than ever. Users and flippers.
You wouldn't believe the shit that people give op shops. I know a lot about it as Ms fxh employment runs an opshop as a fundraiser and I do stuff with Wear For Success. Ms. Is friends with her opshop manager and costs of disposing of rubbish people dump is a big worry. There is stuff that can't be recycled as rags etc, they can spend up to $ 300 some weeks on rubbish disposal. I've seen wet rotting stuff and dirty stuff you could never clean. Trousers with huge holes in crutch etc etc etc.
Separating suits is partly staff who don't know what a suit is. In opshops men's don't buy suits they buy a suit jacket to wear with jeans . so there isn't much of a premium on keeping suits together. All this is excluding the Salvos, who are the Harrolds of opshops, crazy expensive prices. I've been trying to get some intelligence from inside but there's a sense they set prices high , then half price then throw out stock on the basis one suit Sold @$45 is better than two @$15post #49415 of 523585/9/14 at 7:30pmpost #49416 of 523585/9/14 at 8:45pmpost #49417 of 523585/9/14 at 9:29pmpost #49418 of 523585/9/14 at 10:26pm
Even if they have free access to the tip, there are still a lot of staffing expenses associated with sorting all the rubbish from the decent stuff and then running the rubbish to the tip, if necessary.post #49419 of 523585/9/14 at 10:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by fxh
All this is excluding the Salvos, who are the Harrolds of opshops, crazy expensive prices. I've been trying to get some intelligence from inside but there's a sense they set prices high , then half price then throw out stock on the basis one suit Sold @$45 is better than two @$15
What I can't understand is the discrepancy between pricing in the Salvos stores. The prices in petit bourgeois Gladesville are higher than the Norvern Beaches so they end up with so much unsold stuff 6 months later the $100 Hugo Boss suit is $10. Can't work it out.post #49420 of 523585/9/14 at 10:55pmpost #49421 of 523585/10/14 at 12:08amQuote:Originally Posted by fxh
Separating suits is partly staff who don't know what a suit is. In opshops men's don't buy suits they buy a suit jacket to wear with jeans . so there isn't much of a premium on keeping suits together. All this is excluding the Salvos, who are the Harrolds of opshops, crazy expensive prices. I've been trying to get some intelligence from inside but there's a sense they set prices high , then half price then throw out stock on the basis one suit Sold @$45 is better than two @$15
This separating suits must be a new twist when I lived in Melbourne I bought a dozen suits or more and even in Sydney I picked up suits. Mind you I don't think I've gotten anything decent from an op shop for years.post #49422 of 523585/10/14 at 12:11ampost #49423 of 523585/10/14 at 12:22ampost #49424 of 523585/10/14 at 1:30ampost #49425 of 523585/10/14 at 2:21amQuote:
Yeah it's kinda high, and one of the things I'd love if they dropped in a good inch or so. But I wear the Havana casually - and mostly unbuttoned (again, casual environment) - so it's less of an issue.
The La Spalla has a 3-roll-2, and the middle button sits at a point I think is flattering on me. Much lower than the Havana.Quote:
RL Preston pants are great. $50 ea from the RL outlet.
High rise, good room in the thigh - but they need to be massively slimmed from the thighs down. I'm talking completely reworked. And they have an inseam of like 38" or something crazy. That feel when you're a 28" inseam :(
Hope this helps, homeslice.
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 31 seconds ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 34 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Australian Members 1 minute ago
- › Should I donate all my 3+ inch ties? 1 minute ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 2 minutes ago
- › Lanvin cap toe sneaker sizing? 5 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 14 5 minutes ago
- › Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it? 8 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)