Sadly i was at the gym working off one too many Pinot Noir's from last night and missed him.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 7/29/15 at 1:07pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89
Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Fall Styles for the Tailored ManLast edited: 10/14/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 3295post #49411 of 679095/9/14 at 6:46pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #49412 of 679095/9/14 at 7:10pmpost #49413 of 679095/9/14 at 7:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by Journeyman
Sadly, charity bins are almost non-existent nowadays as fools kept on putting rubbish inside them or dumping unsuitable items beside them and was costing charities much more to clean them up and sort out the rubbish/useless stuff from the good stuff than it was worth.
I think that a lot of charity shops (well, here in Brisbane, at least) also have too much stuff. Most of the clothing that people want to donate is rubbish and now that people can purchase so much cheap stuff from Target/K-Mart etc, there's no market for cheap, second-hand clothes of that ilk and so charity shops end up with an over-supply of very ordinary, second-hand clothes that they can't sell and so they end up sorting them and using a lot of the clothes for rags.
Perhaps if we were in Melbourne it would be a different story, as charity shops seem to be of better quality down there!
Yeah I thought that might have been the case with the bins, shame I thought they were convenient but yes costly I guess if people are abusing them.post #49414 of 679095/9/14 at 7:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by meister
A lot in Sydney like it when you take it in there and they see it's clean and ready to go on the rack. Biggest problem is splitting up the suits so it ends up as rags. Huge mistake brought on by paying nothing for it. Some management idea that better to get a quick sale for some bottom pair of suit trousers than keep the items intact. At the same time the number of people patronising op shops seems bigger than ever. Users and flippers.
You wouldn't believe the shit that people give op shops. I know a lot about it as Ms fxh employment runs an opshop as a fundraiser and I do stuff with Wear For Success. Ms. Is friends with her opshop manager and costs of disposing of rubbish people dump is a big worry. There is stuff that can't be recycled as rags etc, they can spend up to $ 300 some weeks on rubbish disposal. I've seen wet rotting stuff and dirty stuff you could never clean. Trousers with huge holes in crutch etc etc etc.
Separating suits is partly staff who don't know what a suit is. In opshops men's don't buy suits they buy a suit jacket to wear with jeans . so there isn't much of a premium on keeping suits together. All this is excluding the Salvos, who are the Harrolds of opshops, crazy expensive prices. I've been trying to get some intelligence from inside but there's a sense they set prices high , then half price then throw out stock on the basis one suit Sold @$45 is better than two @$15post #49415 of 679095/9/14 at 7:30pmpost #49416 of 679095/9/14 at 8:45pmpost #49417 of 679095/9/14 at 9:29pmpost #49418 of 679095/9/14 at 10:26pm
Even if they have free access to the tip, there are still a lot of staffing expenses associated with sorting all the rubbish from the decent stuff and then running the rubbish to the tip, if necessary.post #49419 of 679095/9/14 at 10:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by fxh
All this is excluding the Salvos, who are the Harrolds of opshops, crazy expensive prices. I've been trying to get some intelligence from inside but there's a sense they set prices high , then half price then throw out stock on the basis one suit Sold @$45 is better than two @$15
What I can't understand is the discrepancy between pricing in the Salvos stores. The prices in petit bourgeois Gladesville are higher than the Norvern Beaches so they end up with so much unsold stuff 6 months later the $100 Hugo Boss suit is $10. Can't work it out.post #49420 of 679095/9/14 at 10:55pmpost #49421 of 679095/10/14 at 12:08amQuote:Originally Posted by fxh
Separating suits is partly staff who don't know what a suit is. In opshops men's don't buy suits they buy a suit jacket to wear with jeans . so there isn't much of a premium on keeping suits together. All this is excluding the Salvos, who are the Harrolds of opshops, crazy expensive prices. I've been trying to get some intelligence from inside but there's a sense they set prices high , then half price then throw out stock on the basis one suit Sold @$45 is better than two @$15
This separating suits must be a new twist when I lived in Melbourne I bought a dozen suits or more and even in Sydney I picked up suits. Mind you I don't think I've gotten anything decent from an op shop for years.post #49422 of 679095/10/14 at 12:11ampost #49423 of 679095/10/14 at 12:22ampost #49424 of 679095/10/14 at 1:30ampost #49425 of 679095/10/14 at 2:21amQuote:
Yeah it's kinda high, and one of the things I'd love if they dropped in a good inch or so. But I wear the Havana casually - and mostly unbuttoned (again, casual environment) - so it's less of an issue.
The La Spalla has a 3-roll-2, and the middle button sits at a point I think is flattering on me. Much lower than the Havana.Quote:
RL Preston pants are great. $50 ea from the RL outlet.
High rise, good room in the thigh - but they need to be massively slimmed from the thighs down. I'm talking completely reworked. And they have an inseam of like 38" or something crazy. That feel when you're a 28" inseam :(
Hope this helps, homeslice.
- Australian Members
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 9 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 38 seconds ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 55 seconds ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 56 seconds ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 1 minute ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 1 minute ago
- › ***Story Et Fall Thread*** 1 minute ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 4 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 4 minutes ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...