Sadly i was at the gym working off one too many Pinot Noir's from last night and missed him.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on Yesterday at 6:46 pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: Yesterday
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Australian Members - Page 3295post #49411 of 639435/9/14 at 6:46pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #49412 of 639435/9/14 at 7:10pmpost #49413 of 639435/9/14 at 7:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by Journeyman
Sadly, charity bins are almost non-existent nowadays as fools kept on putting rubbish inside them or dumping unsuitable items beside them and was costing charities much more to clean them up and sort out the rubbish/useless stuff from the good stuff than it was worth.
I think that a lot of charity shops (well, here in Brisbane, at least) also have too much stuff. Most of the clothing that people want to donate is rubbish and now that people can purchase so much cheap stuff from Target/K-Mart etc, there's no market for cheap, second-hand clothes of that ilk and so charity shops end up with an over-supply of very ordinary, second-hand clothes that they can't sell and so they end up sorting them and using a lot of the clothes for rags.
Perhaps if we were in Melbourne it would be a different story, as charity shops seem to be of better quality down there!
Yeah I thought that might have been the case with the bins, shame I thought they were convenient but yes costly I guess if people are abusing them.post #49414 of 639435/9/14 at 7:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by meister
A lot in Sydney like it when you take it in there and they see it's clean and ready to go on the rack. Biggest problem is splitting up the suits so it ends up as rags. Huge mistake brought on by paying nothing for it. Some management idea that better to get a quick sale for some bottom pair of suit trousers than keep the items intact. At the same time the number of people patronising op shops seems bigger than ever. Users and flippers.
You wouldn't believe the shit that people give op shops. I know a lot about it as Ms fxh employment runs an opshop as a fundraiser and I do stuff with Wear For Success. Ms. Is friends with her opshop manager and costs of disposing of rubbish people dump is a big worry. There is stuff that can't be recycled as rags etc, they can spend up to $ 300 some weeks on rubbish disposal. I've seen wet rotting stuff and dirty stuff you could never clean. Trousers with huge holes in crutch etc etc etc.
Separating suits is partly staff who don't know what a suit is. In opshops men's don't buy suits they buy a suit jacket to wear with jeans . so there isn't much of a premium on keeping suits together. All this is excluding the Salvos, who are the Harrolds of opshops, crazy expensive prices. I've been trying to get some intelligence from inside but there's a sense they set prices high , then half price then throw out stock on the basis one suit Sold @$45 is better than two @$15post #49415 of 639435/9/14 at 7:30pmpost #49416 of 639435/9/14 at 8:45pmpost #49417 of 639435/9/14 at 9:29pmpost #49418 of 639435/9/14 at 10:26pm
Even if they have free access to the tip, there are still a lot of staffing expenses associated with sorting all the rubbish from the decent stuff and then running the rubbish to the tip, if necessary.post #49419 of 639435/9/14 at 10:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by fxh
All this is excluding the Salvos, who are the Harrolds of opshops, crazy expensive prices. I've been trying to get some intelligence from inside but there's a sense they set prices high , then half price then throw out stock on the basis one suit Sold @$45 is better than two @$15
What I can't understand is the discrepancy between pricing in the Salvos stores. The prices in petit bourgeois Gladesville are higher than the Norvern Beaches so they end up with so much unsold stuff 6 months later the $100 Hugo Boss suit is $10. Can't work it out.post #49420 of 639435/9/14 at 10:55pmpost #49421 of 639435/10/14 at 12:08amQuote:Originally Posted by fxh
Separating suits is partly staff who don't know what a suit is. In opshops men's don't buy suits they buy a suit jacket to wear with jeans . so there isn't much of a premium on keeping suits together. All this is excluding the Salvos, who are the Harrolds of opshops, crazy expensive prices. I've been trying to get some intelligence from inside but there's a sense they set prices high , then half price then throw out stock on the basis one suit Sold @$45 is better than two @$15
This separating suits must be a new twist when I lived in Melbourne I bought a dozen suits or more and even in Sydney I picked up suits. Mind you I don't think I've gotten anything decent from an op shop for years.post #49422 of 639435/10/14 at 12:11ampost #49423 of 639435/10/14 at 12:22ampost #49424 of 639435/10/14 at 1:30ampost #49425 of 639435/10/14 at 2:21amQuote:
Yeah it's kinda high, and one of the things I'd love if they dropped in a good inch or so. But I wear the Havana casually - and mostly unbuttoned (again, casual environment) - so it's less of an issue.
The La Spalla has a 3-roll-2, and the middle button sits at a point I think is flattering on me. Much lower than the Havana.Quote:
RL Preston pants are great. $50 ea from the RL outlet.
High rise, good room in the thigh - but they need to be massively slimmed from the thighs down. I'm talking completely reworked. And they have an inseam of like 38" or something crazy. That feel when you're a 28" inseam :(
Hope this helps, homeslice.
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 1 minute ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 5 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 7 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 7 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 7 minutes ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CAPPELLI) -... 7 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › HBO Series, Ballers 9 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...