or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 3181

post #47701 of 55015

Do any Brisbane members have experience with a site called Young Gent Suit Company? They appear to be affiliated with DeeR Style. I've corresponded with them by email, and price points seem to be $450 for the "lower" line of MtM, and starting at $650 for the "higher" end - 270gsm 110s wool. Interested to see if anyone knows more. It seems attractive for some daily work gear. 

post #47702 of 55015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartagnanRed View Post
 

Strewth, blimey, flog me mum with a wallaby. 11/10 Australian.

Thank you for your kind vote! You are very kind. Thank you again. Whatever you need are at your disposal.

post #47703 of 55015
Watching this thread there is a pattern in dress.

Suits are usually soft shouldered, are of lighter fabrics (super merino, cotton and linen blends) and brighter/bolder colours to suit the light (eg french navy or mid grey).

Accessory-wise, most Aussies are generally more subtle than the rest of the forum - two piece single breasted suits (with a cardi in winter), woven ties and pocket squares with a monkey fist fold.

HC, P Johnson and Suit Shop's tumblrs are good examples of this.
post #47704 of 55015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Watching this thread there is a pattern in dress.

Suits are usually soft shouldered, are of lighter fabrics (super merino, cotton and linen blends) and brighter/bolder colours to suit the light (eg french navy or mid grey).

Accessory-wise, most Aussies are generally more subtle than the rest of the forum - two piece single breasted suits (with a cardi in winter), woven ties and pocket squares with a monkey fist fold.

HC, P Johnson and Suit Shop's tumblrs are good examples of this.

ok ... thank you for your kind advice. I keep them in mind for when I come!

post #47705 of 55015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post


Got it too. It's sad when there are mid season sales for a season that hasn't really started yet.

 

Fair point but if the price is right...whens their sale start?

post #47706 of 55015
It's an interesting one. Limiting our sample to Australian SF members - or the better dressed Aussies as opposed to your regular yobbo - it's struck me that we try to "dress Italian" rather than dress "English". Some of us openly wish they were an Italian industrialist, but it's pretty clear to me at least that the Tumblr, #menswear version - the bella figura - is quite different from the ITA reality that many of us think we are emulating.

Soft shoulders for example are mostly a detail hailing from the Great Southern Garbage Tip that is Naples, but given prominence thanks to London House, a bloke who likes snowboarding, and a little Asian dude who was Mr Second Best Dressed Man In America 2009.

As an aside I find it amusing that most Italians I've met - the real ones not the Lygon St variety - would love to live here and can't understand our yearning for the history, culture and elegance of their country.
post #47707 of 55015
A large proportion of the tailors in Australia, certainly in Melbourne at least, in the earlier days were Italian and Greek. To some extent we have been influenced by their taste in materials - colours and weight, in particular and some style. Most of the ones that I know were/are heavily influenced by the english style. But like Italians in Italy - they made it their own to an extent.

To a degree I can recognise and Australian style, in "this sort of dressing", just as I can often recognise an American style or European style or English style but I can't accurately describe the australian style. One thing that is obvious is that Australians are UK/USA influenced but very international - this is true for architecture, food and clothes. I think it translates into a look thats more than just a haphazard bricolage of influence but it is hard to define at times.
post #47708 of 55015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

It's an interesting one. Limiting our sample to Australian SF members - or the better dressed Aussies as opposed to your regular yobbo - it's struck me that we try to "dress Italian" rather than dress "English". Some of us openly wish they were an Italian industrialist, but it's pretty clear to me at least that the Tumblr, #menswear version - the bella figura - is quite different from the ITA reality that many of us think we are emulating.

Soft shoulders for example are mostly a detail hailing from the Great Southern Garbage Tip that is Naples, but given prominence thanks to London House, a bloke who likes snowboarding, and a little Asian dude who was Mr Second Best Dressed Man In America 2009.

As an aside I find it amusing that most Italians I've met - the real ones not the Lygon St variety - would love to live here and can't understand our yearning for the history, culture and elegance of their country.
I think often this is more to do with our climate being closer to Naples than ol blighty, despite most of us having roots in the mother country, which is cold and miserable where structured and heavy cloths work well. Probably though, I'm overthinking it and it's more to do with, like you said what's on the #menswear radar.

Certainly for me though in summer, I like stuff as light and un-structured as possible because I really feel the heat. I've hardly worn a tie since Xmas, and I own a tie company!
post #47709 of 55015
I agree with Jason - the heat (at least where I am) makes lighter fabrics and less structure a necessity.

I also think Aussies do less brand whoring than your average post on WAYWT.

(Ready to be smashed by PoP or FXH)...
post #47710 of 55015
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

A large proportion of the tailors in Australia, certainly in Melbourne at least, in the earlier days were Italian and Greek. To some extent we have been influenced by their taste in materials - colours and weight, in particular and some style. Most of the ones that I know were/are heavily influenced by the english style. But like Italians in Italy - they made it their own to an extent.

To a degree I can recognise and Australian style, in "this sort of dressing", just as I can often recognise an American style or European style or English style but I can't accurately describe the australian style. One thing that is obvious is that Australians are UK/USA influenced but very international - this is true for architecture, food and clothes. I think it translates into a look thats more than just a haphazard bricolage of influence but it is hard to define at times.

 

If was to describe the Australian style of clothing in a couple of words it would be casual and also for lack of a better word sporty. Obviously because of our lifestyle and climate. In a way Australians represent the epitome of nonchalance (sprezz?) since we just don't seem to care that much. The problem is that we haven't translated this very well for tailored clothing. 

 

Also thanks to Gianni for starting a good topic - when you come to Australia bring the lightest suits you have...

post #47711 of 55015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris2012 View Post

Fair point but if the price is right...whens their sale start?

post #47712 of 55015
CM in Australia is a bit of a mongrel.

Speaking generally, we feel compelled to wear black shoes with CBD in the law/business/finance environment.

Again speaking generally, we are nevertheless drawn to wear brown shoes with CBD, and anything more casual, because we like the look in the aesthetic sense and the feel in the loucheness sense.

In the odd jacket setting, we like unstructured and unlined jackets for climatic (and probably aesthetic) reasons, even though we appreciate the Huntsman, stiff upper lip look for cultural reasons. Which explains the love for PJ stuff on the one hand, and Cutler et al on the other. In saying this, I accept PoP's proposition that Naples is a shithole.

But I think, as is exemplified by Gianni's recent post, we are on the whole culturally English and North American in our draw to relatively understated presentation and colour/pattern mixes. I say this while at the same time thinking that Gianni's fit absolutely kicks arse - in the right context.

Just my views.
post #47713 of 55015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike View Post

Do any Brisbane members have experience with a site called Young Gent Suit Company? They appear to be affiliated with DeeR Style. I've corresponded with them by email, and price points seem to be $450 for the "lower" line of MtM, and starting at $650 for the "higher" end - 270gsm 110s wool. Interested to see if anyone knows more. It seems attractive for some daily work gear. 

Rene (the proprietor of Deer Style) did mention to me a couple of weeks back that he was starting a complementary business that would aim at making a product that is cheaper than the current Deer Style product (although Deer Style is itself pretty damned affordable). I haven't heard anything else about it as yet, though.

I've got a few suits, jackets and trousers and quite a few shirts from Deer Style and, for what it's worth, I've always found Rene to be excellent. Great customer service, very knowledgeable, very willing to listen to what you want and to accommodate your style whilst providing guidance.
post #47714 of 55015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere View Post



Thanks for posting that johns, much appreciated

post #47715 of 55015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post


Rene (the proprietor of Deer Style) did mention to me a couple of weeks back that he was starting a complementary business that would aim at making a product that is cheaper than the current Deer Style product (although Deer Style is itself pretty damned affordable). I haven't heard anything else about it as yet, though.

I've got a few suits, jackets and trousers and quite a few shirts from Deer Style and, for what it's worth, I've always found Rene to be excellent. Great customer service, very knowledgeable, very willing to listen to what you want and to accommodate your style whilst providing guidance.

 

I'm not sure what it is but I have to admit I keep forgetting about deerstyle

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members