Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 3117post #46741 of 552123/10/14 at 9:58pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #46742 of 552123/10/14 at 10:50pmpost #46743 of 552123/11/14 at 12:01ampost #46744 of 552123/11/14 at 12:05ampost #46745 of 552123/11/14 at 12:30amQuote:Originally Posted by Journeyman
I'm an admin lawyer, so I could be entirely wrong!
As NM mentions, "puffery" is a legal concept used in referring to advertising or promotional statements.
It derives from an English Court of Appeal case, Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Company  EWCA Civ 1, in which the defence argued that statements made in advertising a cure for influenza were "mere puff" (as NM said) and not to be taken seriously. The defence failed in that case, but the Court of Appeal's decision confirmed the principle that certain statements that were obviously not made in a serious manner - statements that no reasonable person could take seriously - could be exempt from the rules relating to promises in contracts.
I suspect that R&B's claim that it is "renowned as one of the highest quality shirt-makers in the world..." would certainly fall into that category!
However, the issue of labelling something as being "hand-tailored" is a bit more problematic. On the one hand, anyone who actually knows what hand-stitching looks like would immediately know that R&B's claim is a load of hogwash and that it is clearly puffery. On the other hand, there are a lot of people out there who don't know what hand-stitching looks like and who might reasonably be sucked in by such a statement, even though the statement is demonstrably false.
I suppose that someone could always report R&B to the ACCC for "false or misleading claims", but I can't help but suspect that anyone who did so would probably get pretty short shrift when the investigating officer discovered that they were complaining that they paid $150 or more for a shirt that they believed was handmade but which was, in fact, stitched by machine!
Thanks for this JM (and Nabil). Was unaware of the concept.post #46746 of 552123/11/14 at 12:33amQuote:Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson
Nice colours, interesting look....
Why are all these bags so effing expensive?*
(*Don't worry, I know why.)post #46747 of 552123/11/14 at 12:45ampost #46748 of 552123/11/14 at 12:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Stiva
Batsman anatomy is a bit like dancer anatomy. There is your shorter, lower centre of gravity type like Bradman, Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, Warner, etc who are compact and precise; and the taller type like Greg Chappell, Gower, Laxman, Sobers, Vaughan, etc who appear more graceful. And then everything in between.
Ponting is, I think, 5 foot 10. He looked smaller.post #46749 of 552123/11/14 at 1:19ampost #46750 of 552123/11/14 at 1:34ampost #46751 of 552123/11/14 at 1:36ampost #46752 of 552123/11/14 at 1:39ampost #46753 of 552123/11/14 at 1:48amQuote:Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa
That shirt is going to fit so well. I often wondered whether the desired shirt fit is very close to the body - like your previous shirts, or whether this bespoke shirt which is slightly looser, is better. Initially I only liked the former, but having had shirts made myself, I am starting to understand that the the latter is less 'showy' and more classic.
My earlier shirts were very snug. Too snug really. Part of being a bit younger and wanting to show off a little more, I suppose. I've come to appreciate comfort much more now and having clothes that just fit properly. I think it's just part of a natural evolution that most of us go through.post #46754 of 552123/11/14 at 2:06amQuote:Originally Posted by Arch3r
FWIW I like the Frank Clegg briefcases - https://frankcleggleatherworks.com/index.php/product/view/Zip_Top_Tote_Single_Bound
Pretty subjective... Really depends on your habits/needs/taste. For me the Clegg would be perfect I carry my laptop, tablet and a folio maybe some bulldog clipped docs. I think it's a pretty simple classic style as well and lots of colours to choose from.
yeah I quite like that too, classic and not too baggy, looks to be a good size.
Probably not everyones cup of tea but some of Suitsupplys brief cases are alright for a contemporary look/price point.
Possibly not a bold enough brown to be noteworthy but I see MJBale has a brown suit for this season now available too.post #46755 of 552123/11/14 at 2:17am
- Australian Members
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The official list of online stores 1 minute ago
- › Australian Members 4 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › MC General Chat 9 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › New Object Research - The Aitor Throup Thread 12 minutes ago
- › suede shoes - post 'em here! 15 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 16 minutes ago
- › Indian Sanskriti - Designer Sarees 17 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 21 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...