Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 4/17/16 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 3117post #46741 of 679463/10/14 at 9:58pmpost #46742 of 679463/10/14 at 10:50pmpost #46743 of 679463/11/14 at 12:01ampost #46744 of 679463/11/14 at 12:05ampost #46745 of 679463/11/14 at 12:30amQuote:Originally Posted by Journeyman
I'm an admin lawyer, so I could be entirely wrong!
As NM mentions, "puffery" is a legal concept used in referring to advertising or promotional statements.
It derives from an English Court of Appeal case, Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Company  EWCA Civ 1, in which the defence argued that statements made in advertising a cure for influenza were "mere puff" (as NM said) and not to be taken seriously. The defence failed in that case, but the Court of Appeal's decision confirmed the principle that certain statements that were obviously not made in a serious manner - statements that no reasonable person could take seriously - could be exempt from the rules relating to promises in contracts.
I suspect that R&B's claim that it is "renowned as one of the highest quality shirt-makers in the world..." would certainly fall into that category!
However, the issue of labelling something as being "hand-tailored" is a bit more problematic. On the one hand, anyone who actually knows what hand-stitching looks like would immediately know that R&B's claim is a load of hogwash and that it is clearly puffery. On the other hand, there are a lot of people out there who don't know what hand-stitching looks like and who might reasonably be sucked in by such a statement, even though the statement is demonstrably false.
I suppose that someone could always report R&B to the ACCC for "false or misleading claims", but I can't help but suspect that anyone who did so would probably get pretty short shrift when the investigating officer discovered that they were complaining that they paid $150 or more for a shirt that they believed was handmade but which was, in fact, stitched by machine!
Thanks for this JM (and Nabil). Was unaware of the concept.post #46746 of 679463/11/14 at 12:33amQuote:Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson
Nice colours, interesting look....
Why are all these bags so effing expensive?*
(*Don't worry, I know why.)post #46747 of 679463/11/14 at 12:45ampost #46748 of 679463/11/14 at 12:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Stiva
Batsman anatomy is a bit like dancer anatomy. There is your shorter, lower centre of gravity type like Bradman, Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, Warner, etc who are compact and precise; and the taller type like Greg Chappell, Gower, Laxman, Sobers, Vaughan, etc who appear more graceful. And then everything in between.
Ponting is, I think, 5 foot 10. He looked smaller.post #46749 of 679463/11/14 at 1:19ampost #46750 of 679463/11/14 at 1:34ampost #46751 of 679463/11/14 at 1:36ampost #46752 of 679463/11/14 at 1:39ampost #46753 of 679463/11/14 at 1:48amQuote:Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa
That shirt is going to fit so well. I often wondered whether the desired shirt fit is very close to the body - like your previous shirts, or whether this bespoke shirt which is slightly looser, is better. Initially I only liked the former, but having had shirts made myself, I am starting to understand that the the latter is less 'showy' and more classic.
My earlier shirts were very snug. Too snug really. Part of being a bit younger and wanting to show off a little more, I suppose. I've come to appreciate comfort much more now and having clothes that just fit properly. I think it's just part of a natural evolution that most of us go through.post #46754 of 679463/11/14 at 2:06amQuote:Originally Posted by Arch3r
FWIW I like the Frank Clegg briefcases - https://frankcleggleatherworks.com/index.php/product/view/Zip_Top_Tote_Single_Bound
Pretty subjective... Really depends on your habits/needs/taste. For me the Clegg would be perfect I carry my laptop, tablet and a folio maybe some bulldog clipped docs. I think it's a pretty simple classic style as well and lots of colours to choose from.
yeah I quite like that too, classic and not too baggy, looks to be a good size.
Probably not everyones cup of tea but some of Suitsupplys brief cases are alright for a contemporary look/price point.
Possibly not a bold enough brown to be noteworthy but I see MJBale has a brown suit for this season now available too.post #46755 of 679463/11/14 at 2:17am
This thread is locked
- Australian Members
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › $525 Suitsupply Lazio Blue Plain 21 seconds ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 21 seconds ago
- › How to style a gilet, down vest or bodywarmer 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Junkard Boots 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for an affordable brand of suits, (canvased) 6 minutes ago
- › Leave buttoned or unbutton suit when taking a group photo? 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 9 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 10 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...