Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 7/29/15 at 1:07pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 3117post #46741 of 679463/10/14 at 9:58pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #46742 of 679463/10/14 at 10:50pmpost #46743 of 679463/11/14 at 12:01ampost #46744 of 679463/11/14 at 12:05ampost #46745 of 679463/11/14 at 12:30amQuote:Originally Posted by Journeyman
I'm an admin lawyer, so I could be entirely wrong!
As NM mentions, "puffery" is a legal concept used in referring to advertising or promotional statements.
It derives from an English Court of Appeal case, Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Company  EWCA Civ 1, in which the defence argued that statements made in advertising a cure for influenza were "mere puff" (as NM said) and not to be taken seriously. The defence failed in that case, but the Court of Appeal's decision confirmed the principle that certain statements that were obviously not made in a serious manner - statements that no reasonable person could take seriously - could be exempt from the rules relating to promises in contracts.
I suspect that R&B's claim that it is "renowned as one of the highest quality shirt-makers in the world..." would certainly fall into that category!
However, the issue of labelling something as being "hand-tailored" is a bit more problematic. On the one hand, anyone who actually knows what hand-stitching looks like would immediately know that R&B's claim is a load of hogwash and that it is clearly puffery. On the other hand, there are a lot of people out there who don't know what hand-stitching looks like and who might reasonably be sucked in by such a statement, even though the statement is demonstrably false.
I suppose that someone could always report R&B to the ACCC for "false or misleading claims", but I can't help but suspect that anyone who did so would probably get pretty short shrift when the investigating officer discovered that they were complaining that they paid $150 or more for a shirt that they believed was handmade but which was, in fact, stitched by machine!
Thanks for this JM (and Nabil). Was unaware of the concept.post #46746 of 679463/11/14 at 12:33amQuote:Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson
Nice colours, interesting look....
Why are all these bags so effing expensive?*
(*Don't worry, I know why.)post #46747 of 679463/11/14 at 12:45ampost #46748 of 679463/11/14 at 12:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Stiva
Batsman anatomy is a bit like dancer anatomy. There is your shorter, lower centre of gravity type like Bradman, Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, Warner, etc who are compact and precise; and the taller type like Greg Chappell, Gower, Laxman, Sobers, Vaughan, etc who appear more graceful. And then everything in between.
Ponting is, I think, 5 foot 10. He looked smaller.post #46749 of 679463/11/14 at 1:19ampost #46750 of 679463/11/14 at 1:34ampost #46751 of 679463/11/14 at 1:36ampost #46752 of 679463/11/14 at 1:39ampost #46753 of 679463/11/14 at 1:48amQuote:Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa
That shirt is going to fit so well. I often wondered whether the desired shirt fit is very close to the body - like your previous shirts, or whether this bespoke shirt which is slightly looser, is better. Initially I only liked the former, but having had shirts made myself, I am starting to understand that the the latter is less 'showy' and more classic.
My earlier shirts were very snug. Too snug really. Part of being a bit younger and wanting to show off a little more, I suppose. I've come to appreciate comfort much more now and having clothes that just fit properly. I think it's just part of a natural evolution that most of us go through.post #46754 of 679463/11/14 at 2:06amQuote:Originally Posted by Arch3r
FWIW I like the Frank Clegg briefcases - https://frankcleggleatherworks.com/index.php/product/view/Zip_Top_Tote_Single_Bound
Pretty subjective... Really depends on your habits/needs/taste. For me the Clegg would be perfect I carry my laptop, tablet and a folio maybe some bulldog clipped docs. I think it's a pretty simple classic style as well and lots of colours to choose from.
yeah I quite like that too, classic and not too baggy, looks to be a good size.
Probably not everyones cup of tea but some of Suitsupplys brief cases are alright for a contemporary look/price point.
Possibly not a bold enough brown to be noteworthy but I see MJBale has a brown suit for this season now available too.post #46755 of 679463/11/14 at 2:17am
This thread is locked
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89
- › Recommend a good paring knife 37 seconds ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 2 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 2 minutes ago
- › Valentines Day Gift Ideas For Men 2016 – Everythinghiphop.com 3 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 4 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 4 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...