or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 3031

post #45451 of 53727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazman View Post
 

Thanks for correcting me. Was not aware they had several 'ranges' of makes. While PJ is not at fault for the writer's ignorance, I've never read him making a correction. I think they quite like being seen as 'bespoke' and why not if it is good for business. But it's wrong.

 

Welcome to the forum, old mate.

 

My pro-tip to you: I'd leave the assumptions at the door.

post #45452 of 53727
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennier View Post

My wife will be more than satisfied with that description :-)

Haha

I bought tickets to WOWS yesterday the ticket guy asks "are you going to see this film with some one over 18?"

Wow the wife will be thrilled to hear that.

I'm on then so I'll ask for identification.

As for women providing advice as a former Wardrobe Mistress she has a very good eye for how clothing fits, fit is one thing style advice is totally verboten!
post #45453 of 53727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazman View Post
 

Thanks for correcting me. Was not aware they had several 'ranges' of makes. While PJ is not at fault for the writer's ignorance, I've never read him making a correction. I think they quite like being seen as 'bespoke' and why not if it is good for business. But it's wrong.

The author was no less ignorant than yourself in making such statements. Can't control the press, they call for a quote and write an article. 

 

Also I think you will find the only true bespoke tailors in that article are Bijan and Cutler.

post #45454 of 53727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post


I think I'm turning Japanese, I thinking I'm turning Japanese, I really think so.

Actually PR cash at weddings is still a bit of an issue as far as I can tell and I wouldn't say we love LV...but then there are 5 million (plus descendants, diaspora etc) so I am sure some of the Scots you know would fit these categories.

And what are these strange customs you refer too...?

 

Maybe it's this particular clan I'm marrying into, but the customs I described are exhibited by all. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Doesn't your friends reimburse a lot of the funds with their cash gifts during the wedding, my friends and I usually give $100 per head to the couple.

In China, people joke about using wedding to make money, or to accept bribes!

 

Well if the wedding couple receive the gifts, and the father of the bride pays for it all ... hmm ... this could be quite a money spinner! 

 

(I kid I kid!)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post


Usually, families with extensive business/professional connections will need to invite more people. Uncles, aunties, etc. Sometimes the bride and groom do not really have much of a choice. One way to avoid these hassles is to "get married on vacation" which is roughly the Asian equivalent of eloping. Not many brides will agree to this.

And we have not even touch on the subject of dowries and prewedding customs.

 

So I'm finding that with 100 guests there's about 20 friends, and about 80 family/'family' (see: odd scottish 'uncle and aunty' thing in previous post), and one or two places left for brown-nosing, if required in the future. Wedding isn't for a while, so it's good to have the brown-nose invites available. 

 

As for dowries; I wish!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post


Don't think this has anything to do with race but with age and upbringing. When an Aunt of mine died, she was 88, they found $10 grand stashed all around the house.

 

I'm being fairly facetious with the mock scottish racism; and it could be that this collection of people all had very similar upbringings, but the age is spread across the sample, and their customs are all very very similar. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Decided I'd start wearing a blazer, chinos and an OCBD when stuck in the office. Tried to wear a pocket square but mum said it made me look like a wanker (or more of one frown.gif )

 

I wear that in the office (academia) and I'm a tie away from being over dressed. It's a good look, and the coarseness of the oxford cloth plays well with more casual sports coat textures. 

 

Your mum's a keeper. 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Trust me, I know ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

What's on everyone's winter purchase list? I'm sick of the hot days.

For me, so far:

Navy shawl collar cardigan from CT (very nice for $100).
Jeans
Rain Mac
Peacoat
RMWs
+ Maybe 1-2 new pairs of AEs
+ Mabe 2-3 new Luxire shirts with French cuffs (which I think of as winter-y).

 

Carmina boots

2x Luxire odd trousers

Another suit

Overcoat

Scarf

Gloves

(going to NYC in xmas, so will need it!)

2-4 Kamakura shirts

 

Maybe some new glasses but otherwise that's me done

post #45455 of 53727

^^^ If you need gloves, you will also need something for your ears.  Earmuffs or beanies. But these are not too costly.

 

Re: dowries- in our culture, the groom pays the dowry, so be careful what you wish for, hehehe....

post #45456 of 53727
Winter want: Luxire moleskin trousers, but I fear the 20oz fabric would be too heavy.
post #45457 of 53727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorial Scum View Post

That is true that P Johnson is not a bespoke tailor but the blame is not on Patrick, rather on the writer's subject knowledge.

 

I don't think PJ claims to be true bespoke by any stretch.

 

Also afaik the classic and roma range are made in rome with the Napoli range made in Naples by Orazio Luciano.

 



From memory, having had a fitting in early January, all the PJT suits are now made in Italy - I was told the Netherlands workshop was no longer making their product.

I stand to be corrected if I mis-heard. Romp?
post #45458 of 53727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

That Drakes is a 4ply so unless your in Melbourne or Canberra I wonder if you would get enough wear out of it for the price.

I would like a pair of Jeans, that is if I can find a pair that fit comfortably.

I need a new two ply cashmere and a lambswool jumper.

A new overcoat would be nice but that requires a good score in an op shop. (yeah right)

ps forgot a coule of pairs of corduroy trousers navy and olive would be good.

Good point, any suggestions in that style? I've seen a few but none I like as much. frown.gif

I just can't get into corduroy... Maybe I just haven't come across the right pair.
post #45459 of 53727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch3r View Post

Good point, any suggestions in that style? I've seen a few but none I like as much. frown.gif

I just can't get into corduroy... Maybe I just haven't come across the right pair.

I think Put This On had this http://theandovershop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_9&products_id=60s.
post #45460 of 53727
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggett View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorial Scum View Post

That is true that P Johnson is not a bespoke tailor but the blame is not on Patrick, rather on the writer's subject knowledge.

 

I don't think PJ claims to be true bespoke by any stretch.

 

Also afaik the classic and roma range are made in rome with the Napoli range made in Naples by Orazio Luciano.

 



From memory, having had a fitting in early January, all the PJT suits are now made in Italy - I was told the Netherlands workshop was no longer making their product.

I stand to be corrected if I mis-heard. Romp?

Yep that's correct

One workshop about an hour away from Rome

And then the PJ Napoli range which is orazio Luciano

And we now have another workshop that Pat and Tom finalised plans with last month on their trip, allowing us to now offer both Milanese and Neapolitan styles of tailoring
post #45461 of 53727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

ps forgot a coule of pairs of corduroy trousers navy and olive would be good.

 

A nice pair of burgundy corduroy trousers would be great. Maybe Luxire?

post #45462 of 53727

Wow. Heavy duty comments. I'm out of here.

post #45463 of 53727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post


And we now have another workshop that Pat and Tom finalised plans with last month on their trip, allowing us to now offer both Milanese and Neapolitan styles of tailoring

 

Nice! What are the main differences between the two styles?

post #45464 of 53727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

A nice pair of burgundy corduroy trousers would be great. Maybe Luxire?

I'm very OTR with corduroy found these
http://www.peterchristian.co.uk/mens/trousers/county-corduroy-trousers 2 pair plus postage 105 quid

As for burgundy I would rather drink it than wear it.
post #45465 of 53727

Thanks for the 'pro-tip'. Yes, I am assuming hence the word 'think' but they do post links to these articles on their Facebook page and on there they could easily correct the record but I've never seen them do it. There have been many articles feature P Johnson in the mainstream media and specialist mags - they do great PR! -  and invariably these articles erroneously refer to them as bespoke tailors. PJ, when linking to such articles and not making any correction, is effectively accepting the description as being accurate and it isn't.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members