or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 3029

post #45421 of 52533
+1 to Boff.

When women dress men, they typically dress men in the same sort of colours and patterns (albeit without flowery stuff) that they wear themselves. By and large, it doesn't look good.

Thankfully, my wife (despite being Japanese) absolutely detests shopping and hates fashion, so she leaves me to my own devices.
post #45422 of 52533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolvadex View Post


Johnston of Elgin have some pretty good cashmere scarves and arent too expensive. Easy to find on ebay.

I have one that was designed for Hugo Boss but was rejected and ended up on ebay, so im probably one of like 2 people who own that scarf #fkyea.

 

Thanks for that they seem to have a pretty good range of stuff.

 

Also forgot to add some winter ties from Vanda :D

post #45423 of 52533
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post

All the stuff that only get show at places like dendy and Nova? I guess the Cinema experience now days are all about special effects and explosions.

Sometimes me and Ms. fxh will jump in the car and go in to a 9 pm session at Nova if its a fillum I can't see anywhere else - like the las one was 20 Feet From Stardom - but the Nova is such a dump really and by the time parking is done its a $50 cost thats not worth anywhere near $50.
post #45424 of 52533
post #45425 of 52533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plestor View Post

I don't think its really TV getting better unless you watch a lot of it and judge by the mid / low points.
We had say Six Feet Under, Oz, The Sopranos and The Wire all airing at once about 10 years ago. With Deadwood following the year after. The Corner / Band of Brothers / Angels in America were circa this time too. I'd agree with Blahman that much of the good cinema these days is pushed to specialist cinemas. I also try to watch a reasonable amount of live theater too although that gets somewhat more expensive.

Plestor - I didn't mention that I hardly ever watch actual "live" TV - I watch iView to see programs I might like or watch off the hard drive and WDTV and downloaded series or movies. I've got WoWS but haven't got around to it. I do think most tv is unwatchable - well except COPS occasionally.
post #45426 of 52533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Decided I'd start wearing a blazer, chinos and an OCBD when stuck in the office. Tried to wear a pocket square but mum said it made me look like a wanker (or more of one frown.gif )
oli - this is pure gold.

If I knew where your mum was I'd call in and have a chat to her over a cuppa next week when I'm driving through.
post #45427 of 52533
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

Nova is such a dump

Filthy sh#thole.
post #45428 of 52533
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ernesto View Post

Filthy sh#thole.
Why is it soo bad? - its like a sticky carpet dimly lit rock n roll pub without the rock n roll or any saving graces. Plus I get lost there because I'm grumpy with no lights in passages and when I realise how much it costs and how grubby it is. Plus they only take cash downstairs at that stupid ticket office. Only made worse if its a smelly small theater the size of my bathroom full of hipsters, tenured university types on defined super and dreadlocked ferals eating and drinking and I have to sit right down the front and lean back to look up at the blurry screen 2 metres away from me. Each time I go I swear never again.
post #45429 of 52533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch3r View Post

Navy Shawl cardigan for me as well, can't decide if I should get a cheapy or spend some $$ and get the Drakes Cashmere one.
Navy 3 piece suit
C&J Tetbury boots in black
On the look out for some more cashmere scarves. HenryCarter getting any more? I've got a Grey one which is excellent.
Probably not this year, but there are going to be plenty of scarves, some in a printed silk/wool backed and others in pure wool. I actually just received a few samples which I put some pics up on my affiliate thread yesterday

http://www.styleforum.net/t/294012/henry-carter-neckwear-accessories-official-affiliate-thread/960#post_6929045
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



As for me, RM's are the only thing on my list mostly and some moleskins. Other than that I'm pretty right for winter. I'll get plenty of new ties of course....
post #45430 of 52533
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

Why is it soo bad? - its like a sticky carpet dimly lit rock n roll pub without the rock n roll or any saving graces. Plus I get lost there because I'm grumpy with no lights in passages and when I realise how much it costs and how grubby it is. Plus they only take cash downstairs at that stupid ticket office. Only made worse if its a smelly small theater the size of my bathroom full of hipsters, tenured university types on defined super and dreadlocked ferals eating and drinking and I have to sit right down the front and lean back to look up at the blurry screen 2 metres away from me. Each time I go I swear never again.

Perfect description.

Obviously the people who own it clearly couldn't care less.

Westgarth is good, or at least, better.
post #45431 of 52533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post



As for me, RM's are the only thing on my list mostly and some moleskins. Other than that I'm pretty right for winter. I'll get plenty of new ties of course....

Pants. People want your pants. Sort out your pants.
post #45432 of 52533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post


Probably not this year, but there are going to be plenty of scarves, some in a printed silk/wool backed and others in pure wool. I actually just received a few samples which I put some pics up on my affiliate thread yesterday

http://www.styleforum.net/t/294012/henry-carter-neckwear-accessories-official-affiliate-thread/960#post_6929045 Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



As for me, RM's are the only thing on my list mostly and some moleskins. Other than that I'm pretty right for winter. I'll get plenty of new ties of course....

I love that herringbone!

post #45433 of 52533
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

What's on everyone's winter purchase list? I'm sick of the hot days.

For me, so far:

Navy shawl collar cardigan from CT (very nice for $100).
Jeans
Rain Mac
Peacoat
RMWs
+ Maybe 1-2 new pairs of AEs
+ Mabe 2-3 new Luxire shirts with French cuffs (which I think of as winter-y).

 

Tan sports jacket

Brown cotton trousers

Something with dainite soles

...and likely some Christian Kimber sneakers

post #45434 of 52533
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliechan View Post

Tan sports jacket
Brown cotton trousers
Something with dainite soles
...and likely some Christian Kimber sneakers

What size are you? I have a Boglioli tan sportscoat (size 42) I am going to put up for sale, along with a olive Barbour Liddlesdale quilted jacket (size Large).
post #45435 of 52533
Quote:
Originally Posted by boff View Post


Agreed.
Haven't we been through this? We should not let our women (mothers wives etc...) dress us. In the main they simply don't have a clue. My wife spends an untold fortune every year on flimsily make 'designer' stuff. And yes, I think she looks great but whenever I suggest she finds a decent dressmaker/whatever and spends some money on bespoke she looks at me like I have two heads. Or what about shoes. She thinks nothing of dropping $500 on a pair of heels that are a) very bad for your feet/spine/etc.. and b) only last a year at most. When I spend $500 on a pair of shoes they will be hand made and will last a fucking lifetime. And they will fit me, will not incur bills from the osteopath bla bla bla.
Try asking a woman to buy you a business shirt. You know, when she says 'what do you want for xmas' and you go, 'oh I don't know just get me a shirt'. You will never get a nice plain pale blue or white shirt. Some bastard monstrosity with stripes or checks or a weird collar in a garish colour. WTF is that?

+10000

 

Euro$1200 on some fecking LV boots with glued soles and thin leather.  With that money, could have gotten at least 2 pairs of boots MTOed for her by Carmina, and with a little TLC, they will last for at least 1 decade. I think the LVs will last at most 5 years, and that is probably due to the fact that there are at least 7 pairs of boots on rotation during the short "winter" in Sydney.  LVMH's grip is strong....wished I got the shares as recompense....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members