or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2737

post #41041 of 57202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Making a donation to the Tom Waterhouse retirement fund today?

Strangely apt observation (in hindsight) giving that famous 20/20 vision.
post #41042 of 57202
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredAstaire1899 View Post
 

Regarding Patrick Johnson Tailors, does anybody know how flexible they are in regards to cut?  From their tumblr, they seem to be pretty flexible in the labels and gorge of the jacket.  

However, I prefer fuller and less tapered trousers than any than I saw depicted.

 

Many Thanks.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The False Prophet View Post

I have been measured by Tom from PJ, but didn't end up ordering (partially because I tried on one of their La Vera jackets and realised I wouldn't be satisfied with anything less).

He quickly realised at skinny trousers wouldn't suit me, and that I didn't want them. Regarding jacket detailing, I got the impression that was a little less flexible, but others may know better. I was wearing my best fitting suit jacket and basically said that but for a few tiny tweaks,I was happy for them to copy its measurements. However, Tom preferred that I put on one of their stock suits, which sat quite differently.

I should mention, I was being fitted at a trunk show. Visiting in situ when there's more time to play around should probably produce a better result.

Anyway, better get back to my ironing....

 

We can cut the trousers however you like, 

 

Also with regard to copying another jacket thats a bit tricky as its off a different block. We would have to fit you for our block and adjust accordingly. That said, it's great to see what you consider best fitting as in the end of the day "Best fit" is simply the right balance between comfort and aesthetic which changes between each person and this gives us a good feeling for the fit that you are after.

 

In terms of jacket detailing, what did you want? The options are fairly flexible

post #41043 of 57202
Interesting Curry Tirvia Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
From todays SMH Good Food
despite the popularity of curries amongst home cooks, 82 per cent of respondents "would never make a curry paste from scratch " and one in five could not name a single ingredient that goes into a curry paste.

Wonder what that says about the state of the naiton
post #41044 of 57202
Moscot Lemtosh "Blonde" sunglasses for sale, size L (51mm eye size), G-15 lenses from Moscot. Have had these a while and selling because they just don't get worn. Worn about 10 times, in almost new condition, better than what I've seen retailers selling here in Australia. PM your offers / for more info.
post #41045 of 57202
I'm considering a TOJ0 varsity jacket, in either all black, or grey body with black sleeves. I actually also like the look of the navy/black combo, but not sure how practical that would be? Thinking in terms of what I could match it with.

Anyone able to shed some light on how to size? I've had a read through the thread, and am just about to shoot an email off to Charly to get his thoughts.

Foxhound, I think you have one? Recommended?
post #41046 of 57202
TBM and other guys doing Movember, there is a guy over on the Thrift forum offering to donate 5 euro to prostate cancer for everybody who posts a pic of their upper lip there.
post #41047 of 57202

what would the asian version of movember be? long pinky nail november?

post #41048 of 57202
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post

TBM and other guys doing Movember, there is a guy over on the Thrift forum offering to donate 5 euro to prostate cancer for everybody who posts a pic of their upper lip there.

Too easy - have you got a link to this forum thread, CD? biggrin.gif
post #41049 of 57202
Visitor: Wtf is all that
Ms fxh: Thats him airing some clothes.
Visitor: Airing? Really?
Visitor: That seems like a lot of suits
fxh (weakly): They aren't all suits.
Visitor: Well its a lot for a man.
fxh (weakly): It isn't really
Ms fxh - ever helpful: Thats only half of one wardrobe
Visitor: oh
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #41050 of 57202
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

Visitor: Wtf is all that
Ms fxh: Thats him airing some clothes.
Visitor: Airing? Really?
Visitor: That seems like a lot of suits
fxh (weakly): They aren't all suits.
Visitor: Well its a lot for a man.
fxh (weakly): It isn't really
Ms fxh - ever helpful: Thats only half of one wardrobe
Visitor: oh
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Lucky that clothes line is a classic Hills Hoist, the new ones wouldn't cut it!
post #41051 of 57202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

MOP buttons on a suit? Wouldn't they suit (no pun intended) a sports coat with patch pockets in a shade of blue or are they able to be coloured and if so wouldn't they lose their natural luster?

 

1. They're able to be coloured (smoked in this case)

2. They don't lose their lustre

3. They are more casual

4. Pica-ture

 

post #41052 of 57202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Interesting Curry Tirvia Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
From todays SMH Good Food
despite the popularity of curries amongst home cooks, 82 per cent of respondents "would never make a curry paste from scratch " and one in five could not name a single ingredient that goes into a curry paste. Wonder what that says about the state of the naiton
Saw that in the AGE, which like the ABC has mainly Sydney stuff now, with the odd token Melbourne mention inserted by a sub editor. Most people who say they cook don't. They do what I call "heating stuff in the kitchen"

I cooked from.. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
that India book you recommended.
I did 6 or so dishes for a few visitors the other night. I didn't do any of the tempering - I was too busy - but I wonder about how important it is?

The main thing that struck me was the amount of ghee I used. I went through a 400G tin AND I only used about half that recommended in each recipe. It was far too rich for my liking although I'm sure its half the battle with taste and improves from my usual cooking where I don't use it.

Any advice on how to cut down or substitute for ghee and still get the flavour?
post #41053 of 57202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Brogues View Post

Lucky that clothes line is a classic Hills Hoist, the new ones wouldn't cut it!

Yeah - I estimate that one is well over 50 years old.
People in the know have to scout around to find them now.
post #41054 of 57202
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

Saw that in the AGE, which like the ABC has mainly Sydney stuff now, with the odd token Melbourne mention inserted by a sub editor. Most people who say they cook don't. They do what I call "heating stuff in the kitchen"

I cooked from.. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
that India book you recommended.
I did 6 or so dishes for a few visitors the other night. I didn't do any of the tempering - I was too busy - but I wonder about how important it is?

The main thing that struck me was the amount of ghee I used. I went through a 400G tin AND I only used about half that recommended in each recipe. It was far too rich for my liking although I'm sure its half the battle with taste and improves from my usual cooking where I don't use it.

Any advice on how to cut down or substitute for ghee and still get the flavour?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Temper the spices that will bring the flavour out.

I would cut way back on the gee, actually I don't use it these days aside from the initial spice mix I use bugger all oil.

If your doing meat curries rub spice mix with a bit of oil into it the meat and leave for a couple of hours, then brown with caramelised onions then add other spice mix and then liquid.

Cook it slow put it on a low heat and forget for an couple of hours stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick.

Let me know how it goes, now to watch JKF on SBS

Ps we have a Hills Hoist actually on the Housing commission estates I grew up on in Sydney a Hill Hoist was part of the landscape.
post #41055 of 57202
Melbourne fellow - why haven't I heard about Suit your style yet? Their stuff looks pretty nice and well priced, well styled etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members