or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2718

post #40756 of 54011
I went to that big black tie Murdoch dinner at the Lowy Institute last night.

Also went to the Bradman Foundation black tie the previous night for Mark Taylor's gonging in..

I have not worn tux for years and surprised how many people use a black suit and long black funeral tie as "formal wear". Murdoch was even wearing that look.

Can't believe even this remaining area of dressing is now prey to "fashion".

Lucky I got one at the Gowings sale years ago that still fitted me well!
post #40757 of 54011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

 

 

Yeah thanks mate - that's definitely on the to buy list, as is a proper shoe care kit... and about 50 other items! 

post #40758 of 54011
meister old chap - how many - what % - were wearing proper penguin suits?

Last time I wore one about 3 years ago, I was one of 3 , out of 20 at a BLACK TIE private dinner at the Australia Club. A year or so ago I was at two large dinners at Melbourne Club - private - Black Tie optional - I didn't wear one and only two out of 50 wore them. Not all wore ties.

I mention the clubs, not because I'm a member, I'm not, nor am I invited much, but to give the context - its hard to get much more formal, old school and establishment in Melbourne.

In fact I only know one bloke in real life (aside from forum idiots) who knows the "rules" and wears the full outfit - self tied tie, pumps etc. - nice guy too. Hes the Australia Club member.
post #40759 of 54011
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldnthaveknow View Post

Yeah thanks mate - that's definitely on the to buy list, as is a proper shoe care kit... and about 50 other items! 
Don't skimp on looking after your feet. They are the foundation of your whole mobile body. Health before beauty. Although you can combine the two.
post #40760 of 54011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Gerry, they don't have the two pieces of leather hanging from the lip. They don't quality as 'conventional' Derbies.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_shoe : A Derby (pronounced "Darby," i/ˈdɑːbi/ dah-bi)) shoe (also called Gibson) is a style of Men's shoe characterized by shoelace eyelet tabs that are sewn on top of a single-piece vamp. What's a conventional derby then , Michael?

C&J HIghbury


Carmina on the Rain last



Bond's shoes - black 2 eyelet derbies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiva View Post

They're not Derbys. They're overpriced tat for Francophile spivs with size 6 feet.

Define a derby then.
Edited by Gerry Nelson - 11/1/13 at 12:35am
post #40761 of 54011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post


A Derby (pronounced "Darby," i/ˈdɑːbi/ dah-bi)) shoe (also called Gibson) is a style of Men's shoe characterized by shoelace eyelet tabs that are sewn on top of a single-piece vamp. What's a conventional derby then , Michael?

C&J HIghbury


Carmina on the Rain last



Bond's shoes - black 2 eyelet derbies
Define a derby then.

 

 

:lurk:

post #40762 of 54011

Let's not forget this derby:

 

 

Is this too unconventional? :p

post #40763 of 54011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post
 

:lurk:

 

 

Not a fasting day? :D

post #40764 of 54011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post


In fact I only know one bloke in real life (aside from forum idiots) who knows the "rules"

Great example of how to win friends and influence people smile.gif
post #40765 of 54011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_shoe : A Derby (pronounced "Darby," i/ˈdɑːbi/ dah-bi)) shoe (also called Gibson) is a style of Men's shoe characterized by shoelace eyelet tabs that are sewn on top of a single-piece vamp. What's a conventional derby then , Michael?

C&J HIghbury


Carmina on the Rain last



Bond's shoes - black 2 eyelet derbies
Define a derby then.

OK GN, you win on the strength of the C&Js and the Carminas. I should have said, "Most Derbys are fucken ugly, especially split toes, and Corthays are overpriced tat for Francophile spivs with size 6 feet".
post #40766 of 54011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiva View Post


OK GN, you win on the strength of the C&Js and the Carminas. I should have said, "Most Derbys are fucken ugly, especially split toes, and Corthays are overpriced tat for Francophile spivs with size 6 feet".

 

I should have stopped at that then :) 

post #40767 of 54011
If I saw someone wearing those shoes I'd assume they engaged in a shameful and improper lifestyle.
post #40768 of 54011
Movember, anybody?
post #40769 of 54011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

If I saw someone wearing those shoes I'd assume they engaged in a shameful and improper lifestyle.

I assume this of most people.

Actually, more of a hope than an assumption.
post #40770 of 54011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

If I saw someone wearing those shoes I'd assume they engaged in a shameful and improper lifestyle.
Having been there I can highly recommended it
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members