or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 272

post #4066 of 55201
I was measured on a Brannock device the other day (as my tennis shoes were thrown out by the cleaner at work ) and it turns out I have a slim 13 left foot and a full size shorter on my right.

My question is how hard/annoying/costly is it to return shoes to Pediwear? Their size conversion seems to suggest that would make me a UK 12, while right now I wear a Euro 47 (Ecco) and size 14 US sneakers.

And where do I start with a nice black work shoe in C&J?

Cheers,
Simon.
post #4067 of 55201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gassyndrome View Post
I was measured on a Brannock device the other day (as my tennis shoes were thrown out by the cleaner at work ) and it turns out I have a slim 13 left foot and a full size shorter on my right.

My question is how hard/annoying/costly is it to return shoes to Pediwear? Their size conversion seems to suggest that would make me a UK 12, while right now I wear a Euro 47 (Ecco) and size 14 US sneakers.

And where do I start with a nice black work shoe in C&J?

Cheers,
Simon.

Size conversion sounds wrong to me... the general rule of thumb is go down 1 size when converting from US to UK (this can change with different lasts of course). Whenever I purchase shoes online I always email them first with sizing of shoes I already have and ask for a recommendation based on that sizing.

Audley or Belgrave
post #4068 of 55201
Does anyone know if a tailor can alter the length of a shirt to make it wearable un-tucked? I'm wanting to transform some of my shirts.
post #4069 of 55201
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetminimal View Post
Does anyone know if a tailor can alter the length of a shirt to make it wearable un-tucked? I'm wanting to transform some of my shirts.
Yes, that is an easy enough alteration.
post #4070 of 55201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gassyndrome View Post
I was measured on a Brannock device the other day (as my tennis shoes were thrown out by the cleaner at work ) and it turns out I have a slim 13 left foot and a full size shorter on my right.

My question is how hard/annoying/costly is it to return shoes to Pediwear? Their size conversion seems to suggest that would make me a UK 12, while right now I wear a Euro 47 (Ecco) and size 14 US sneakers.

And where do I start with a nice black work shoe in C&J?

Cheers,
Simon.

Draw an outline of your footses and then measure it. (Theres instructions somewhere on web on how to do it - basically common sense - hold pencil upright - or do two traces one smallish one larger.)

Send measurements to Pediwear or Herring or whoever - they are pretty good at getting size right.

Costs around $35aud to return shoes to UK.
post #4071 of 55201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gassyndrome View Post
I was measured on a Brannock device the other day (as my tennis shoes were thrown out by the cleaner at work ) and it turns out I have a slim 13 left foot and a full size shorter on my right.

My question is how hard/annoying/costly is it to return shoes to Pediwear? Their size conversion seems to suggest that would make me a UK 12, while right now I wear a Euro 47 (Ecco) and size 14 US sneakers.

And where do I start with a nice black work shoe in C&J?

Cheers,
Simon.

Don't use any athletic shoes as a measuring tool. Go by the Brannock Device which is a US thing. You are saying your left foot is what (Brannock) and your right foot is what (Brannock)? When we know this some advice can be proffered. The actual last then will be a further issue. I suspect your feet will suit American shoes better than UK with that odd width sizing.
post #4072 of 55201
Ok, thanks. On the Brannock, it was a 13 on my left (she said 'quite slim') and a 12 on my right. Just looking at the bottom of my Ecco's right now and the marking on the sole says they are actually a Euro 46. I do very much like the look of the C&J Audley. Off to contact Pediwear, Herring, etc, and see what they think.
post #4073 of 55201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ff3z8e View Post
Interesting, I suffer from a pretty severe case of a collapsed arch, but my podiatrist recommended me a 3/4 orthotic as I mentioned to him that I tend to wear dress shoes quite a bit.

Here's a few pictures of it....please excuse the quality of the shots, just testing out the i-pod touch.

Attachment 63826Attachment 63827Attachment 63828

My poddy put my foot on a flatbed scanner which then generated a 3D-scan of my feet, and then it was sent to the labs for about $450 just for a pair. I had to make a follow up appointment for my first fitting. Thankfully it fit rather well, otherwise I will have to come back in another 2 weeks to try out a remake. It took some time to get used to the sensation as I went for the hardest thermoplastic setting as it offers the best arch support, but I can easily ignore it after a few minutes of walking now

Fitting wise is pretty alright for the Herring Shoes Loakes and Cheaney G-Widths that I wear

Just curious John, is the process and the orthotic type similar for someone who has plantar fasciitis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere View Post
He drew some lines on my calves and feet, then took video of me walking on a treadmill. Then put on a special sock to do the 3-d imaging. The result:



As you can see there is quite a build up on the heal. There is also some build up where the plantar fascia runs. I found them easy to get used to, but then I've been using off the shelf ones for years.

These fit in some of my shoes, but not my C&J's.

I also wear orthotics due to pronation ('fallen arches'). I had to get my podiatrist to shave the orthotics down quite a bit to fit my dress shoes. He said this would shorten the life of the orthotics but otherwise be just as effective in providing support. Touch wood, this seems to work fine.

HTH
Ben
post #4074 of 55201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gassyndrome View Post
Ok, thanks.

On the Brannock, it was a 13 on my left (she said 'quite slim') and a 12 on my right. Just looking at the bottom of my Ecco's right now and the marking on the sole says they are actually a Euro 46.

I do very much like the look of the C&J Audley. Off to contact Pediwear, Herring, etc, and see what they think.


don't mention any Brannock measurements to the online UK shoe places - they will look at you with a blank stare - if you can interpret a blank stare from an email.
post #4075 of 55201
Measuring your feet

For at home measurements:

Step 1. First gather your supplies. Some tape, a piece of paper larger than your foot, a pencil, and a ruler or measuring tape. Taping the piece of paper, at the corners, to a flat, hard surface on floor. Or use an exercise book. Now you're ready to measure.

Step 2. Trace the outline of your foot. Some people have feet that do swell especially in the evening after standing on them for long periods of time. Because of this we recommend measuring your foot in the evening to allow for comfort and ample room. Trace your feet without shoes, just with socks like you may be wearing with the shoes you will be buying. Place foot firmly on the floor with your leg slightly forward and your shin just in front of your ankle. Using your pencil, trace the outline of your foot on the paper. Hold your pencil straight up and down as you do this. Make sure the pencil is firmly against your foot as you trace around it. It can be helpful to have someone else do the tracing, but you can do this yourself. A carpenter’s flat pencil is useful here.

Step 3. Marking the length and width of your foot. Using your pencil, draw a straight line from top to bottom of the outline of your foot. That is your length. Then from side to side at the widest part of the outline, draw another straight line for your width.
Step 4. Measuring the length of your foot. Using your measuring tape or ruler, measure from the bottom to the top of your outline. For inches use the closest 16th inch mark when measuring. Don't round up or down as this will affect the fit of new shoes. Write your length measurement at the top of the outline.

Step 5. Measuring the width of your foot. Some people will need a narrow shoe while others need wide shoe. Measure the width of your foot with your tape measure or ruler from left side to the right of the widest part of the outline. Find the mark that is to the closest 16th inch here as well. Write this number to the side of your foot outline.

Step 6. Finding your final shoe size. Repeat these steps for the other foot and go with the larger of the two. After your numbers are written down, you will want to subtract 2 tenths of an inch from each of the numbers to allow for the slight space between your actual foot and the line made when tracing your foot with the pencil. These final numbers are your actual foot measurements and can be converted to your appropriate size and width.

Good explanation of sizes and measuring: http://www.boot.com/bsizcvt.htm

Some pics to show: http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/ss/measurefeet.htm

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ox-Ftb5l1A
post #4076 of 55201
The problem with all foot measuring methods is that sizing is just so damn inconsistent, though.
I can probably wear shoes from 6.5UK all the way to 7.5UK or even 8UK.
post #4077 of 55201
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
The problem with all foot measuring methods is that sizing is just so damn inconsistent, though.
I can probably wear shoes from 6.5UK all the way to 7.5UK or even 8UK.

This is the problem.

By the way, my kid's podiatrist is called 'Walker'.
post #4078 of 55201
^ * For the Ghost Who Walks
post #4079 of 55201
Anyone ever dealt with Bozzoni on Queen St in Melb? I popped my head in there earlier to check out what sort of stuff they had since I've walked past many times and seen the sign for the 50% off sale they currently have. Doesn't look much cop to me, fused suits and a few semi-structured cotton jackets at dubious prices ($200 presumably down from $400!). When I asked the SA about drop on the suits he looked at me blankly and asked me if I was in the rag trade, as I was asking questions that apparently only such people ask!.. (and in the case of drop he clearly didn't understand until I explained it to him). Tried on a cotton jacket for laughs and it was pretty boxy and awful. Never seen anyone in there when I've walked past, I think I know why now!
post #4080 of 55201
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennier View Post
Anyone ever dealt with Bozzoni on Queen St in Melb? I popped my head in there earlier to check out what sort of stuff they had since I've walked past many times and seen the sign for the 50% off sale they currently have. Doesn't look much cop to me, fused suits and a few semi-structured cotton jackets at dubious prices ($200 presumably down from $400!). When I asked the SA about drop on the suits he looked at me blankly and asked me if I was in the rag trade, as I was asking questions that apparently only such people ask!.. (and in the case of drop he clearly didn't understand until I explained it to him). Tried on a cotton jacket for laughs and it was pretty boxy and awful. Never seen anyone in there when I've walked past, I think I know why now!
Is there a Bozzoni down Lt Collins as well? I remember walking past a dodgy looking place that sell 'marked down' shirts every time I made my way to Le Petit Gateau.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members