or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2651

post #39751 of 51839
Ties don't take up much room, so I say keep what you've got, in case your mood changes.

I'm pretty big on standardization, and while I wear my 9.8cm prints almost all the time, a change is nice every now and then
post #39752 of 51839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post

Oli - do you have a really small apartment?...I jest, I just worry sometimes you take the minimalist thing to an unneeded extreme.

I guess at least we know if you ever get married you will be monogamous. Or does minimalism required one wife, and one mistress for each strange fetish (unbuckledmonk straps, unbuttoned collar buttons, the odd desire to wear a tie with a hint of colour...)

I don't know. I always develop a connection with my possessions - my white chocolate jazz bass, timex easyreader and RMWs.

They develop charm and character - I remember once journeyman named almost every item in his dad's wardrobe.

When you 'must cop' 50 different outfits then the ability to build that character is reduced (not to mention it eats at your budget like a bitch).

I don't know, maybe 6 ties?
post #39753 of 51839
Ties are the cheapest way to change any outfit.

1 or 2 suits

1 or 2 blue blazers

1 or 2 sport coats

A few pair of trousers.

2 jeans 3 chinos

5 pair of shoes/boots

Dozen shirts

10 ties

1 Timex watch with 3 bands - brown, black and coloured

Go forth
post #39754 of 51839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

I don't know. I always develop a connection with my possessions - my white chocolate jazz bass, timex easyreader and RMWs.

They develop charm and character - I remember once journeyman named almost every item in his dad's wardrobe.

When you 'must cop' 50 different outfits then the ability to build that character is reduced (not to mention it eats at your budget like a bitch).

I don't know, maybe 6 ties?
I kind of see where you are coming from. You want to avoid the kind of needless consumption that some forum members (none of the Aussie members I'm happy to say) personify. They buy so much stuff it's quite clear that they weren't cuddled enough as a child, or have some other emotional void they feel they need to fill with stuff, especially if it gains approval from Internet strangers.

On the other hand, if you wear the same things all the time, it can mean one of two things: that you have a signature style you are comfortable with, or that you need to get out more, meet new people, and do different things that require you to send different messages with your attire.
post #39755 of 51839
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

Ties are the cheapest way to change any outfit.

1 or 2 suits

1 or 2 blue blazers

1 or 2 sport coats

A few pair of trousers.

2 jeans 3 chinos

5 pair of shoes/boots

Dozen shirts

10 ties

1 Timex watch with 3 bands - brown, black and coloured

Go forth

Good one. This is what I'm aiming at.

post #39756 of 51839
Hi everyone! Adelaide kid now living in the US checking in to say g'day. I started reading the first 10 pages or so of this thread & I have to thank you all for the laughs & fond memories of home. I haven't spent much time in Australia since '06, but can definitely relate to much of what I read... Good to see an Aussie presence here.

Just picked up a pair of Blundstone 550s locally & gave them a good waterproofing ready for the snow... We are getting our 2nd dusting for the season in town tonight.
post #39757 of 51839
Only 2 Suits? Really???!
post #39758 of 51839
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov View Post

Only 2 Suits? Really???!


Speaking for myself, at the moment and in the next few years (well at least one year), my profession will only require a suit tops every 2 weeks. I prefer the look of sportscoat/blazers etc with trousers/chinos etc. as I think it is also more apporachable in my profession, where I have to deal with lots of different people from different walks of life.. Also, moving to S.E.Asia so I can't take too much, and I don't want to be strutting around in suits (unless they're linen or seersucker I suppose). Of course, I'm not as sartorially advanced as the rest of you so maybe I'll succumb to a a closet full of suits.

post #39759 of 51839
Afternoon all - off to Honk Kong tomorrow replete with Nabil's massive list of places to shop, eat and get coffee (not in any particular order, but still extremely appreciative NM!)

In the meatime, I'm thinking I need to expand the shoe collection to something to wear with chinos and whilst I see a lot of love for penny loafers here I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on doube monks as an option? My preference would be for something in a burgundy or calf color, but I could be convinced of suede looking at some of the photos other members have posted here. Thoughts?

And on a completely fdderent tact, I need some prescription sunnies (I'm blind , so looking at ~ -9 dioptas) - whatare my chances of finding something in HK? Thinking a classic rayban type style if thats even possible?
post #39760 of 51839
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggett View Post

Afternoon all - off to Honk Kong tomorrow replete with Nabil's massive list of places to shop, eat and get coffee (not in any particular order, but still extremely appreciative NM!)

In the meatime, I'm thinking I need to expand the shoe collection to something to wear with chinos and whilst I see a lot of love for penny loafers here I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on doube monks as an option? My preference would be for something in a burgundy or calf color, but I could be convinced of suede looking at some of the photos other members have posted here. Thoughts?

And on a completely fdderent tact, I need some prescription sunnies (I'm blind , so looking at ~ -9 dioptas) - whatare my chances of finding something in HK? Thinking a classic rayban type style if thats even possible?

 

Is that all? Nothing else interest you in the Pearl of the Orient? 

 

Cue: Chris Rock in Rush Hour 2. Sing to: "Everybody Loves Kung Fu Dancing"

post #39761 of 51839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

I kind of see where you are coming from. You want to avoid the kind of needless consumption that some forum members (none of the Aussie members I'm happy to say) personify. They buy so much stuff it's quite clear that they weren't cuddled enough as a child, or have some other emotional void they feel they need to fill with stuff, especially if it gains approval from Internet strangers.

On the other hand, if you wear the same things all the time, it can mean one of two things: that you have a signature style you are comfortable with, or that you need to get out more, meet new people, and do different things that require you to send different messages with your attire.

I don't associate with separatists, mate.
post #39762 of 51839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

I don't know. I always develop a connection with my possessions - my white chocolate jazz bass, timex easyreader and RMWs.

They develop charm and character - I remember once journeyman named almost every item in his dad's wardrobe.

When you 'must cop' 50 different outfits then the ability to build that character is reduced (not to mention it eats at your budget like a bitch).

I don't know, maybe 6 ties?

What about your Stanley Clarke CD and vinyl collection to go with the bass? or are you a Jaco Pastorius kind of guy?
post #39763 of 51839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

I've always had an attitude of minimalism in my life - getting rid of the shit I don't need.

As part of this, I've considered cutting down my tie collection to no more than 3 - a black grenadine, a navy grenadine, and a navy stripe.

Less choice frees up your brain to focus on more important decisions each day, especially when you reach a point where you don't have to think about it anymore. I like the setup of having few, really good, pieces you can rotate. That's what I love about classic menswear.

Can always change it up every 3 years or so.
post #39764 of 51839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post

Is that all? Nothing else interest you in the Pearl of the Orient? 

Cue: Chris Rock in Rush Hour 2. Sing to: "Everybody Loves Kung Fu Dancing"

Not at all - did thid a while back and got some great ideas from nabilust. Point of the holiday is cuisine and trying as many different ones as possible. But, have an appointment at Ascot Chang for some shirts, and intend to drop into the Armoury to look at (and perhaps purchase) Carminas and maybe a new tie or 3... Uniqlo for chinos and polos... might hit up AC for some trousers (not convinced I'll have enough time to get a full suit made up) as well, just for something different.
post #39765 of 51839
Oli

In order to challenge your fervent minimalist convention(which has significant merit), I feel you need a new political inspiration. We need to turn back the pages a few years and here we find none other than the honourable Al Grasby.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members