or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 258

post #3856 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
Saving them suggestions up for the next date <3.

Now that I've got nothing on tomorrow I've saved myself probably about $150, so does anyone know anywhere to get some cheap tie boxes? My tie collection is starting to build up.

Now thats the spirit I like to see mate.

Cheapskate on the date and spend the money on clothes.

Keep up the good work.
post #3857 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post
Precisely.

Anyone?

I have never seen them here.

They are are a bit over the top for our weather.

The AAAC crowd are a bit obsessed with them - do a search over there for where to buy them online.
post #3858 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post
Now thats the spirit I like to see mate.

Cheapskate on the date and spend the money on clothes.

Keep up the good work.

post #3859 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post
Now thats the spirit I like to see mate. Cheapskate on the date and spend the money on clothes. Keep up the good work.
It's a dating concept of mine: Maximize fun while minimizing costs, but look good doing it. Because you don't want to make her feel like a prostitute do you? And clothing is reusable - most of the time. Or that's how I justify it anyway .
post #3860 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvaggio View Post
FXH, Those photos are magnificent. I have a copy of Crooks Like Us at home and I can highly recommend it (along with Peter Doyle's other books).

I worked very close to the Police and Justice Museum while they were exhibiting these shots there some years ago - and so spent a few really pleasant lunch hours just looking and reading.

What I really notice about the tailoring of the 20s and 30s from these, is the jackets are predominantly long and loose (esp at the waist and hips). So different from the current suppression obsession.

I've picked out only the ones with men showing "interesting" clothes. These are particularly interesting as they are mainly small time crims and in street clothes - not the respectable classes and not wealthy or going for that special photo shoot. It gives and insight into what the cool dudes might have been wearing on the street in the 20's in Oz - before cheap plane flights, mass imported cheap clothes and before TV and the internet transported the latest "looks" instantaneously from overseas.
post #3861 of 58012
^^ the hipsters of the time?
post #3862 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
^^ the hipsters of the time?

Possibly - certainly with some - who being crims were a section of the leisure classes who didn't have to turn up to a factory or office each day - but at least relatively representative of what was within reach of the average punter. This was before teenagers were invented - especially as a consumer market different to adults. This is grownups dress.
post #3863 of 58012
So these people in the photographs were considered to be a less conventional dressers of the time? Even given what you said is true about the invention of teenage market, there still had to be a fashion trend that was considered to be very out there with details that would have been scoffed at by the more conservative dressers?
post #3864 of 58012
Just got back from 1 Martin Place, Le Meridien for the Herringbone Pop-up Sale....

Meh, most of the good stuff are about the same price you can get if you visited the warehouse a few weeks back.

They mentioned ties start from $30. But most of the decent ones are $70. (you can get 5 for $200 in the warehouse)

Jackets are $70 - $199... Once again the stuff that got my eye are $199

Suits are $599 - Same as what you would get in the warehouse.

Core range Suits are about 30% off... That's about it....



Incidentally, is it just me or am I noticing more and more dudes sporting a pocket square?....

While I was there I noticed at least 7 guys sporting a PS and on my way back to the office another 2... all in a stretch of say.. 1 hour?
post #3865 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ff3z8e View Post
Just got back from 1 Martin Place, Le Meridien for the Herringbone Pop-up Sale....

Meh, most of the good stuff are about the same price you can get if you visited the warehouse a few weeks back.

They mentioned ties start from $30. But most of the decent ones are $70. (you can get 5 for $200 in the warehouse)

Jackets are $70 - $199... Once again the stuff that got my eye are $199

Suits are $599 - Same as what you would get in the warehouse.

Core range Suits are about 30% off... That's about it....



Incidentally, is it just me or am I noticing more and more dudes sporting a pocket square?....

While I was there I noticed at least 7 guys sporting a PS and on my way back to the office another 2... all in a stretch of say.. 1 hour?

Yup, and not one of them went to that sale with the intention of buying anything either. A chance to get their pocket-squared noticed and commented on in StyleForum was too good an opportunity to pass up.
post #3866 of 58012
Next Herringbone sale in Melbourne, I'm going to rock up in some hipster shit just to poop on them all :P
post #3867 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post
I have never seen them here.

They are are a bit over the top for our weather.
They are not overly warm jackets, if that is what you are getting at. Your average wool peacoat is quite a bit warmer. Our (SA) winters are like fall in more temperate climates with intermittent showers and sometime wind, and for that they are perfect.
post #3868 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post
I've picked out only the ones with men showing "interesting" clothes. These are particularly interesting as they are mainly small time crims and in street clothes - not the respectable classes and not wealthy or going for that special photo shoot. It gives and insight into what the cool dudes might have been wearing on the street in the 20's in Oz - before cheap plane flights, mass imported cheap clothes and before TV and the internet transported the latest "looks" instantaneously from overseas.

There is certainly an element of 'flash' in the way they dress - quirky details, fabrics and fit. If you look at the other end of society - much more conventional, such as this shot of the Duke of Gloucester with Joe and Enid Lyons from 1934...

post #3869 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvaggio View Post
There is certainly an element of 'flash' in the way they dress - quirky details, fabrics and fit. If you look at the other end of society - much more conventional, such as this shot of the Duke of Gloucester with Joe and Enid Lyons from 1934...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Damn, that women is in one unflattering outfit!
post #3870 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by appolyon View Post
^ kikki k has some nice big boxes that I use ... about $35 each and can hold about 20 ties each
Do you mean boxes designed to hold ties? I can't see much from their website but it looks to me they only have those generic sized (A4 etc) storage boxes like the ones below. I would not consider this ideal for storing ties.

When I get a bigger place I'm going to have a 1m wide cupboard, about 15 cm deep, built in, with a glass door and bars every 30cm to hang silks on and a drawer for wool, cashmere etc.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members