or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2552

post #38266 of 52333


Despite the *interesting* stuff on there he can clearly make more conservative options
post #38267 of 52333

RM Williams say they make you a last for an extra $80 on a customer order.  I'm not sure I believe it.  They also said they have a 3D foot scanner if you go to their factory in Adelaide, and this device is used to make an optimum last.

post #38268 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov View Post

What are "Pixie Shoes"?

See a lot of the designs on that site look pretty sweet. But they all look homemade. Like someones early attempts at making shoes in their garage after seeing a DIY guide online somewhere.

^^ well said.
But that how he wants his shoes to look like - hand made. You will be able to differentiate his shes from mass produced shoes from miles away. TBH I am not a fan of his design and leather and colour selections.. But I respect his style.
post #38269 of 52333
I will never appreciate someone been different for the sake of different.
post #38270 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by aget19 View Post
 

Thanks for the prior tips on shoes gents, will be heading into either Double Monks or Beggar Man Thief on my next day off to pick up some new kicks.

 

Where would one recommend to pick up a nice suit off the rack? I'm looking in the $500 range (not for myself, a young relative, he'll probably grow out of it in a year or two).

http://styleforumau.wikidot.com/wiki:suits-in-australia

post #38271 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by aget19 View Post
 

Thanks for the prior tips on shoes gents, will be heading into either Double Monks or Beggar Man Thief on my next day off to pick up some new kicks.

 

Where would one recommend to pick up a nice suit off the rack? I'm looking in the $500 range (not for myself, a young relative, he'll probably grow out of it in a year or two).

 

Go to MJ Bale and get the 2x$1000 deal. 

 

Get one grey suit and one navy.

 

Then buy 6 plain shirts in either white or pale blue. 

 

Then go to Henry Carter and get some ties. As a rule of thumb for businesswear, don't buy anything you wouldn't wear to your mothers funeral. 

 

What I did when I started this time last year - it worked for me. 

post #38272 of 52333

New polo pickup. Best collar! On the way to the Eternal City this morning...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Andiamo, paesani! (Is that even grammatically correct?)

 

Also, in other news, the Dinner for 25, version IV. Mos Def is in it!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Edited by iSurg - 9/25/13 at 1:46pm
post #38273 of 52333
iSurg - looks great! Where's the polo from?
post #38274 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post
 

 

Go to MJ Bale and get the 2x$1000 deal. 

 

Get one grey suit and one navy.

 

Then buy 6 plain shirts in either white or pale blue. 

 

Then go to Henry Carter and get some ties. As a rule of thumb for businesswear, don't buy anything you wouldn't wear to your mothers funeral. 

 

What I did when I started this time last year - it worked for me. 

 

Ok Cool. Cheers for the tip. Looks like i've got some work to do this weekend. 

post #38275 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

iSurg - looks great! Where's the polo from?

 

PJ! Made in Italy. Good quality jersey. Really liking the collar roll. One piece collar sewn directly into the selvedge (Tom described it). 

post #38276 of 52333

Getting a balmoral boot mto, struggling to decide between dark brown shell, Burgundy shell or naturacalf, anyone have any preferences?

 

  

post #38277 of 52333

Dark brown shell for sure!

post #38278 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSurg View Post

New polo pickup. Best collar! On the way to the Eternal City this morning... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)








Andiamo, paesani! (Is that even grammatically correct?)

Also, in other news, the Dinner for 25, version IV. Mos Def is in it! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Love those sartorialist vids!
post #38279 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

I respect the artisan even though his style isn't to my taste

Raises an interesting point here. One would think that a bespoke shoe maker, considering the interest in high end shoes, would be aiming at a market that has the disposable cash and cultivated taste to pay for a good product. But no, the shoes I have seen are more SW fashion trends than corporate or even classically timeless. I just wonder at the turn over required to keep him afloat, but he must be doing ok as he has survived for a number of years. Or maybe as an artisan he is taking a creative stand and doing his own thing and wants his product to speak as a individual creative expression. Either way I just can't work the business model out to be honest. What i have seen in store and on line has never moved me and I have had discussions with a number of friends about his work, all I must add are cultural creatives, and while getting wood at the thought of a pair of Alden Cordovan longwings of Edwad Green MTO handgrade none of us has ever gotten a rise out of his work . Odd to say the least, but to each their own, he has obviously found his niche in the market and is comfortable there.
post #38280 of 52333
McDonald has moved to The Strand Arcade recently. I assume he's doing well and that there are plenty of buyers for those upturned monstrosities he churns out. Like Romp, I respect the artisan, but his style is not to my taste at all. There are better options out there.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members