or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2539

post #38071 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

I've had the opposite problem I'm afraid... had to have a belt shortened a couple of weeks ago...

As for what's been happening, some talk about grenadines and knit ties, Oli is still looking for chinos and still no sign of blahman. You haven't really missed much.

MMhh - and what conclusions did they all come to on the tie business?

Oli - is starting to worry me - I fear with Julie " The Only Lib Woman With Any Skills in Australia" Bishop in cabinet, and Sophie spanked, he might have gone off the rails.

blahman is missed - although Foxy makes a, somewhat inferior I'll admit, close substitute.

I wonder if you could do a weekly summary of the thread and email it to me - would save me a lot of time - ta muchly.

Did anyone pick up on the Australian colours palette thingo?
post #38072 of 58012

Here, as promised, are some shots of my new Tom Ford suit.

 

Fabric is wool 42%/linen 38%/silk 20%. It looks darker IRL with a slight sheen to it; the windowpane is subtle.

 

The trousers have side adjusters and no belt loops.

 

I will probably have the trousers taken in 2cm at the waist and I will also have the jacket sleeves taken up about 1cm - this is as far as I can go without bringing the sleeve buttons (which are functional) too close to the hem of the sleeve.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I might just get married in this suit.

 

 

Edit: seems I need to clean my camera lens. Some weird green shit going on in the midfield there.


Edited by coxaca - 9/21/13 at 3:02am
post #38073 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

MMhh - and what conclusions did they all come to on the tie business?

Oli - is starting to worry me - I fear with Julie " The Only Lib Woman With Any Skills in Australia" Bishop in cabinet, and Sophie spanked, he might have gone off the rails.

blahman is missed - although Foxy makes a, somewhat inferior I'll admit, close substitute.

I wonder if you could do a weekly summary of the thread and email it to me - would save me a lot of time - ta muchly.

Did anyone pick up on the Australian colours palette thingo?

Knit ties are ok for funerals; grenadines are so named because they resemble grenades and are wont to spontaneosly explode killing the wearer.

Oli has always worried me, but I think in the end our fears will prove unfounded.

Foxy is my favourite poster. It's heartening to see a young chap who likes floral shirts. Takes me back to my youth when I used to dress like Dave Faulkner. Now we are both bald...

Weekly updates and abridged "best ofs" are the preserve of clothing fora addicts.

No. Though I wonder if this is why Australian style more closely mimmicks the Italian palette these days rather than the English? The light can be quite similar over there. Certainly I think there is something to the argument that pastel shades are more pleasing to the eye under our harsh light compared to northern Europe, where the dullness makes pastels largely indistinguishable from each other. And white shirts tend to look good only with light coloured jackets, lest the sunshine, unencumbered by ozone, causes you to look like a Khmer shadow puppet.
post #38074 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxaca View Post

Here, as promised, are some shots of my new Tom Ford suit.

Fabric is wool 42%/linen 38%/silk 20%. It looks darker IRL with a slight sheen to it; the windowpane is subtle.

The trousers have side adjusters and no belt loops.

I will probably have the trousers taken in 2cm at the waist and I will also have the jacket sleeves taken up about 1cm - this is as far as I can go without bringing the sleeve buttons (which are functional) too close to the hem of the sleeve.


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)











I might just get married in this suit.
Looks good. Though I got the impression you were the kind of guy who's ex-wife hasn't been born yet.
post #38075 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxaca View Post
 

Here, as promised, are some shots of my new Tom Ford suit.

 

Very nice. 

post #38076 of 58012
Do you think the lapels bow out a bit?
Strong TF shoulders.
post #38077 of 58012
Shoulders too pointy, checks too checky. Nice fabric though.
post #38078 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSurg View Post

Do you think the lapels bow out a bit?
Strong TF shoulders.

 

The lapels don't bow out on this suit, although they do on some of my other suits - I have a bit of a barrel chest.

 

Perhaps the visual impression of bowing comes from the splaying of the check lines as they move up the lapels.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Shoulders too pointy, checks too checky. Nice fabric though.

 

You're welcome to your opinion. The shoulders are typical Tom Ford as iSurg said. Clearly they don't care to follow the current Neapolitan trend towards softer, more sloping shoulders. To me the shoulder tailoring on this suit bespeaks a kind of quiet power.
 
The checks are quite subtle IRL. In fact I didn't notice them when I first saw the suit in the store.
post #38079 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxaca View Post

To me the shoulder tailoring on this suit bespeaks a kind of quiet power.
You must be going deaf in your old age.
post #38080 of 58012
A genuine question:

Those of you who are left handed - do you tie your tie different to right handers?

That is starting with blade and front on opposite sides to right handers?
post #38081 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

A genuine question:

Those of you who are left handed - do you tie your tie different to right handers?

That is starting with blade and front on opposite sides to right handers?

 

Yes. 

 
I also wear my watch on my right hand. 
post #38082 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

A genuine question:

Those of you who are left handed - do you tie your tie different to right handers?

That is starting with blade and front on opposite sides to right handers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Yes. 
 
I also wear my watch on my right hand. 

Me too. On both counts.
post #38083 of 58012
Thanks for the kind words PoP. It really helps right now. I just stopped by home because I wanted to grab a different shirt for tonight. My house has been broken into and ransacked. Mum and dads room is trashed. Chests of Drawers broken. My rooms been gone through. All of mums jewellery and my watch collection is gone. I want to die.
post #38084 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post


Me too. On both counts.

Yup, me too.
post #38085 of 58012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post

Thanks for the kind words PoP. It really helps right now. I just stopped by home because I wanted to grab a different shirt for tonight. My house has been broken into and ransacked. Mum and dads room is trashed. Chests of Drawers broken. My rooms been gone through. All of mums jewellery and my watch collection is gone. I want to die.

 

 
Sorry to hear that. I'm glad nobody was hurt and I hope things will get better soon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members