or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2516

post #37726 of 53664

I'm not actually wearing clothes. Just my slippers. Party Hard tonight.

post #37727 of 53664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post
 

 

Very hard to pull off Pink Socks. You also need to have big cojones to be aesthetically outspoken when walking down the street.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

Pinky - now is one of the first times in my life I don't have a brown suit.
I have one thats sort of a bit brown and a bunch of brown sport jackets and trousers.

Brown, as we all know, is for farmer. (old forum joke)

Brown, like green,black and yellow is a trap for young players.

Depending on the colour and material can have a nasty green caste I don't like at all. Like those other colours if its in a smooth worsted be careful in your choice. Theres warm and a cool browns and just plain bad browns. It seems to work better with texture - tweed, linen, cord twill etc.

Brown is generally reliable in cord although I have a very nice pair of RL wide wale cords that seem too green in different lights for me - so much so I never feel right in them

 

I disagree - brown can be incredible in the right tone.

 

The cloth that Porter was wearing in the DB and Remy has in the following pics is a dark shade of brown from Loro Piana in a 3ply open weave. You see it and don't immediately think "brown" it almost comes off as a warm grey and is incredibly easy to wear.

 

 

post #37728 of 53664
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldnthaveknow View Post
 

Guys could I get some recommendations on dress boots? 

 

Have a pair of RM Williams but looking for maybe chukkas or brogue boots, in brown or chocolate, in a simialr price range as the RMW

 

Would prefer rubber sole, formal enough to go with a suit... I'd also prefer if it was available for me to try on in Sydney - unfortunately I don't know what lasts suit me

 

I'm hoping this will stop me thinking about the jawnz collared moto......... 

 

You could either go the RMWs Kingsvale in suede 

If you're feeling more suave Christian Kimber now does a brown pair

And if you want the bang for buck and are willing to buy shoes online there's always Loakes chukkas...

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post
 

 

 

K-mart hoodie and Target t-shirt and trackpants over here. Someday, I hope to level up to where you are.

 

Target tee and chinos here. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
 

I'm not actually wearing clothes. Just my slippers. Party Hard tonight.

 

Uggs or GTFO 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post
 

 

 

 

I disagree - brown can be incredible in the right tone.

 

The cloth that Porter was wearing in the DB and Remy has in the following pics is a dark shade of brown from Loro Piana in a 3ply open weave. You see it and don't immediately think "brown" it almost comes off as a warm grey and is incredibly easy to wear.

 

 

I saw Remy's brown suit, I can testify to its coolness. 

 

I wouldn't trust your average SFer to pick a nice brown though. 

post #37729 of 53664
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

I am in Geelong this weekend. Any recommendations for food / activities?

 

The now derelict car manufacturers. They're bound to be heritage listed soon.

post #37730 of 53664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post



I disagree - brown can be incredible in the right tone.

The cloth that Porter was wearing in the DB and Remy has in the following pics is a dark shade of brown from Loro Piana in a 3ply open weave. You see it and don't immediately think "brown" it almost comes off as a warm grey and is incredibly easy to wear.

Just in case I'm misunderstood.
Despite some of the pitfalls of brown I love it.
And recommend it. Its under valued.

Just be careful on the tone and caste and what other colours it has in it.
Brown is made up by mixing red, blue and green.
Too much of one coming through will spoil it .
Depending on your taste but for me the green and blues if over present can spoil it. Different mixes of blue and green and red get different hues and colours.
Its oversimplified but enough to see that not all browns are brown.
post #37731 of 53664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

You could either go the RMWs Kingsvale in suede 

I think if you already have RMs then the Kingsvale is a good choice. Solid perhaps not as hip as Christian's stuff which is also very tasty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

I wouldn't trust your average SFer to pick a nice brown though. 

But aren't all SF people like in Lake Wobegon.
post #37732 of 53664
brownman
Geelong Art gallery at Town Hall is worth a visit.
National Wool Museum. And shop perhaps....
Botanical Gardens up on top of the hill near Eastern Beach complex.
post #37733 of 53664
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

But aren't all SF people like in Lake Wobegon.

Explain this in a way that someone born in the 90s would understand...
post #37734 of 53664
oli - gimme a break.

A simple wiki look would get you there.
post #37735 of 53664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Explain this in a way that someone born in the 90s would understand...
"...above average..."
post #37736 of 53664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post


"...above average..."

 

Gotcha ;)

post #37737 of 53664
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

But aren't all SF people like in Lake Wobegon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Explain this in a way that someone born in the 90s would understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

"...above average..."

At the risk of sounding pedantic, not quite.

By way of background, Lake Wobegon is a fictional town in the US mid-west, created by a US author and radio personality named Garrison Keillor for his radio show, "A Prairie Home Companion". He's written at least one book about the town, based on the radio programs.

In the programs, Lake Wobegon is described as a place where, "all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average".

Significantly, though, that's the way that the people of Lake Wobegon think about their own town - it's not the way that it actually is. This has resulted in the creation of a psychological term, the "Lake Wobegon effect", where people overestimate their strengths in relation to others (whether it be intelligence, good looks, or sartorial flair!).

Hence, I suspect that when fxh suggested that we're all like the people in Lake Wobegon, he was suggesting (in jest, surely!) that we all have a very human tendency to overestimate our own qualities relative to those of other people.
post #37738 of 53664

Lots of crapping-on in this thread, and not enough fits.

 

I'm in Melb'n today. This is my take on early-spring weekend sartorialism, Melb'n-style.

 

 

 

 

(x-poasted from WAYWRN)

post #37739 of 53664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post


He's written at least one book about the town, based on the radio programs.

In the programs, Lake Wobegon is described as a place where, "all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average".

Significantly, though, that's the way that the people of Lake Wobegon think about their own town - it's not the way that it actually is. This has resulted in the creation of a psychological term, the "Lake Wobegon effect", where people overestimate their strengths in relation to others (whether it be intelligence, good looks, or sartorial flair!).

Hence, I suspect that when fxh suggested that we're all like the people in Lake Wobegon, he was suggesting (in jest, surely!) that we all have a very human tendency to overestimate our own qualities relative to those of other people.

Spot on JM. I think he's up to 10 Lake Wobegon books, and there was a movie.

Oh, and in terms of today's fit, it was tracky daks and club gear at our junior club's presentation day. Club gear is navy blue and gold.
post #37740 of 53664
Rugby used to be known as the game they play in heaven, but the Wallabies are a slow train to hell. censored.gif And thank you very much to that French censored.gif of a referee who ruined the Black V Boks game.baldy[1].gifbaldy[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members