or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2506

post #37576 of 52578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Halifax, I think you will really struggle to source decent second hand shoes - the generation of well dressed Australians have long since died out and their remains scavenged by Melbourne hipsters.

Your best bet is to order some loakes from Herrings. For 99% of people that's as far as you will need to go.


You are probably right - I simply feel like I won't learn much from that and learning over the internet has its pitfalls. I spoke to JM about this - shoes love seems to be either 0 km/hr or 100 km/hr.

post #37577 of 52578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax View Post


You are probably right - I simply feel like I won't learn much from that and learning over the internet has its pitfalls. I spoke to JM about this - shoes love seems to be either 0 km/hr or 100 km/hr.

Admittedly it is a bitch, unfortunately living in Brisbane there's not a lot of options bar RMWs.

Personally, I found the Loake capital last very similar to the RMWs, if a pinch narrower. You could try on a pair and order the same size in Loakes. Once you know your size you're safe.
post #37578 of 52578
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhill View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanohare View Post

Depends on the store.


I'd happily walk into a DJ's or Myer wearing a sandwich board with "I'm here to get my fit right before ordering from Pediwear" on it, without hesitation. Your local independent store where the owner's slaving away to make a crust I'd feel a bit worse about, and probably wouldn't do it.

Ah yes, the big faceless corporation verse mum and dad around the corner. I definitely agree regarding the guilt factor.

I guess the argument against is: if you simply use these shops for sizing without buying, eventually these shops will go out of business. To balance that, it's a free market and these shops are being beaten on the most important aspect: price. Unfortunately many stores can't compete based on price due to the cost of supply, which is a shame. Unfortunately that's how a globalised e-commerce driven economy can work in a free market.

I try to buy the first pair of the store, then the rest from overseas.
post #37579 of 52578

Hi guys, after a bit of a hand.

 

Looking for a cheap navy blazer that can be beaten up a bit. Something unstructured and lightweight is what I'm looking for and don't have any real preferences about material (aka can be cheap and nasty and doesn't have to be some styleforum approved piece). Round about $150 but with a bit of convincing...

 

Been looking around (DJ's, Myer, Zara etc.) and cant find anything for the life of me, everything seems to be black or out of my price range. Any help would be really appreciated.

 

Thanks guys.

post #37580 of 52578
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMangle View Post
 

Hi guys, after a bit of a hand.

 

Looking for a cheap navy blazer that can be beaten up a bit. Something unstructured and lightweight is what I'm looking for and don't have any real preferences about material (aka can be cheap and nasty and doesn't have to be some styleforum approved piece). Round about $150 but with a bit of convincing...

 

Been looking around (DJ's, Myer, Zara etc.) and cant find anything for the life of me, everything seems to be black or out of my price range. Any help would be really appreciated.

 

Thanks guys.

 

not sure if it is still on sale but MJ Bale had the Tobias jacket for $100

 

Id link it to you but the website is broken 

post #37581 of 52578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolvadex View Post
 

 

not sure if it is still on sale but MJ Bale had the Tobias jacket for $100

 

Id link it to you but the website is broken

Thanks, only problem is that I'm in Adelaide so would have to go to DJ's with their limited stock list. Might give it a try though, any other suggestions?

post #37582 of 52578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax View Post


You are probably right - I simply feel like I won't learn much from that and learning over the internet has its pitfalls. I spoke to JM about this - shoes love seems to be either 0 km/hr or 100 km/hr.

Pediwear are also very helpful with sizing. I once read on SF that they advised someone to fax an outline of their feet! Re Loake size I am also the same as my RMW size.
post #37583 of 52578
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMangle View Post
 

Thanks, only problem is that I'm in Adelaide so would have to go to DJ's with their limited stock list. Might give it a try though, any other suggestions?

 

You can buy it online if their website comes back up. It was still on sale last week.

post #37584 of 52578
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhill View Post
 

 

You can buy it online if their website comes back up. It was still on sale last week.

Yeah may do that, are their jackets similar fitting across their line? Might try something on tomorrow to get a size.

 

I may try to pull a sales assistant away from their chit chat to help me. However unlikely that may be.

post #37585 of 52578
Their website is back up. They have the Tobias Jacket in sizes 42, 44 and 46 on sale for $100 in the navy colour.
post #37586 of 52578
Hi Guys, I'm going to be in london for work over the next 2 weeks. What are some must see/do and must buys! cheap luggage or C&J shoes perhaps?
post #37587 of 52578
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGold View Post

Hi Guys, I'm going to be in london for work over the next 2 weeks. What are some must see/do and must buys! cheap luggage or C&J shoes perhaps?

 

Don't go to the Tower of London or that stupid London Dungeon place. they fail unbelievably hard. 

post #37588 of 52578

What Oli? The Tower of London was awesome!

post #37589 of 52578
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggett View Post

Shoes? I feel almost povvo reading some of the collections people have here.

I sport 2 pairs of C&Js (black Hallams and brown Westbournes), a pair of Loake chukka boots (Pimlico in chocolate brown suede) and a pair of RM Williams Craftsmans in black.

In other news I wear a pair of Steel Blue steel capped boots everyday and rotate the rest according to what function I might be attending on any given evening. All things considered I don't envy those of you who need to choose what to wear to work each day. I like the fact that with a uniform I don't need to think about what to wear - it allows me to put my mind to other pursuits such as determining what y next sartorial purchase is likely to be...

 

I'm also a minimilist; in black I only wear plain shoes, a sort of unembroidered Oxford - I'm not even a fan of a toe cap.

 

So I have 2 pairs in black, one a Chelsea boot - and then brown suede and leather full brogues and a chukka in suede, with a RMW brown is all I need, or want.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris2012 View Post
 

 

Hate my wardrobe on most days, I have to share a small space with my wife...

post #37590 of 52578

So I've been trying on some RMW Craftsman. It was truly my dream to try a pair of these on but when I finally did, I realise I don't like the look at all.

 

I know these shoes will be the most comfortable things I wear in my life and the quality is amazing but they just look weird to me. Is it because they're too plain, they kind of look like a lump of brown mass.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members