or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2486

post #37276 of 54911

Are there linen only types of outfits you guys are hanging out to wear or something?  So much love for the stuff in this thread.

post #37277 of 54911
Suits the hot climate. Wore a linen shirt yesterday and it felt good.
post #37278 of 54911
Shoes for Sale
Shoes - Vintage Hanover MasterFlex. Made in USA. Marked usa size 10 D/B. I just squeeze into them. I estimate they will fit a 8 or 8.5 UK foot.

These shoes are barely worn at all. They look great. They are binder leather surface but its a nice looking finish. Rich burgundy colour. I would be wearing these if they fitted. $80 plus postage. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1 Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1 Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1 Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1 Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1

Shoes for men - not for boys Barely used Church Charles 11. Size UK 10.5G.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Shoes for men - not for boys.
Barely used Church Charles 11.
Size UK 10.5G.
Sole already half Topy. Thats worth $40 extra
Note Church name still on rubber heel insert indicating little wear.

Discontinued by Church. Limited availability at Herring. These days they are Made for Herring only - by Church
Check the new ones at Herring: 237GBP ON SALE! - plus postage. That would be $404 aud plus postage. McCloud in Melbourne sells Church shoes for around $700 aud.

These are originals. Shoes trees not included.

Price::= $150 aud includes posted in Australia

Edited by fxh - 9/4/13 at 11:23pm
post #37279 of 54911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post



For me (and I know this is not everyone's preference), I wear my C&J suede Chukkas and my AS suede double monks with suits, separates and jeans. Think they work well but it is def not the most formal look.



I have seen people wear Common Projects with suits and in the right situation, it works (again personal preference).

I have, knowingly, done all or nearly all of those. I think if you choose the items correctly, dark jeans, soft shoulder jacket, suede shoes, casual (wool/knitted/raw silk) tie, knotted links it can work.



Think you are probably referring to people who have no idea (includes me) or care (not guilty here) about what they wear ie square toed shoes, black shiny boxy suit coat, real Dad jeans, shiny pastel tie.



Doubt you would be fond of my look for yourself but think you would be fine with the way I wear it (though of course the trouser taper will be too narrow).



And feet on the boardroom desk...cannot take you anywhere troublemaker.

 



Socks, I am a big fan of jeans and sports jackets - why- quite simply I think I run the risk of looking overdressed if I wore chinos or wool trousers in many scenarios. I like moleskins and cords - and as I like them regular and fitting, I might look a bit overdressed in the office, so jeans it is.

Jeans for me are great because they reinforce the good silhouette of well fitted jacket and trousers but also look casual. Jeans are very much a corset for the legs and can flatter.

I have universally worn brown brogues, leather or suede, or boots (currently brown RM williams) for almost 20 years with jeans. I agree with FXH that black shoes look wrong with jeans.

I confess to breaking another rule I have seen on Style Forum (US)- which is to wear shirts with cutaway collars and double cuffs as casual - infact with everything. Worn in the office I can also relegate them to casual after hours, increasingly as they wear out. I like them because under a jacket or even jumper the spread of the collar allows it to sit away from your chin and neck, and the points don't fold or crease so readily, and the crewneck just covers the ends nicely with the points just sitting so..... I have never liked v necks as they look a bit metrosexual to me.The french cuffs are no issue, I either roll up the sleeves to just below the elbow, or the jumper sleeve covers the cufflink nicely.

I also think a grenadine tie with jeans and a sports jacket is fine. Confidence is the key.
post #37280 of 54911
Last year I bought a linen jacket from Marks and Spencers (UK) online. .
I forget the price, (inexpensive) and it's fine. Single vent, which is fine by me, although I prefer twin side vents.

I took it to Katrinas to get the sleeves altered but it was hard to get them to agree on the length - many tailors want to see the cuff of the jacket touch your hand
which I find annoying regardless of taste.

The jacket came back too long, so I will be going back! This is the second jacket I've had to get done twice - the lesson is that I have to insist!
post #37281 of 54911
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbonePete View Post

Last year I bought a linen jacket from Marks and Spencers (UK) online. .
I forget the price, (inexpensive) and it's fine. Single vent, which is fine by me, although I prefer twin side vents.
I took it to Katrinas to get the sleeves altered but it was hard to get them to agree on the length - many tailors want to see the cuff of the jacket touch your hand
which I find annoying regardless of taste.
The jacket came back too long, so I will be going back! This is the second jacket I've had to get done twice - the lesson is that I have to insist!

I got a cheap cotton summer unstructured jacket - navy for $100 - took it to Alter-It because my tailor is away on extended holidays in greece and they wanted $70 to take up the cuffs - because it has feckin working cuffs. bah - I'll do a bodgy job myself.
post #37282 of 54911

No idea why tailors want such long sleeves! My new tailor "informed" me that the suit should end on the hand, but he didn't fight me on it when i requested otherwise. I would rather have too much cuff showing than none at all (lesser of evils).

 

As for linen suits, even through this Brisbane "winter" i've been rocking my beige cotton/linen blend with great regularity. Nothing makes me feel better than wading through a sea of dreary black suits in it. It's unstructured, quarter lined, and the flapped pockets are still stitched shut (stops them sagging). I picked it up from Sportscraft of all places, but it's cut well and fits like a glove, it even has a respectably low buttoning point! Still going strong after two years, and the wrinkles can be knocked out with a gentle pressing.

 

Pure linen accumulates creases waaaay faster than a blend.

 

I kinda want to get another suit made up of the same material, but not sure which colour to go with. I already have a "workaday" wool suit which treads the line between airforce blue and proper navy. Maybe in tabacco or a mid grey. Hmmm....


Edited by Cubits - 9/5/13 at 1:19am
post #37283 of 54911
Dark gray P Johnson suit + white BD + louche black knit tie = 3 dazzling smiles from 3 dazzling young women. One even moved further along the bench so I could sit too.

That black knit... Everyone should have one.
post #37284 of 54911
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist View Post

Dark gray P Johnson suit + white BD + louche black knit tie = 3 dazzling smiles from 3 dazzling young women. One even moved further along the bench so I could sit too.

That black knit... Everyone should have one.

 

Any numbers taken?

 

Always be closing.

post #37285 of 54911
And therein lies the irony.

Now that I'm comfortable with who I am, and therefore, comfortable with what my so-called personal style... I'm happily married and can't / won't do anything about it.

Nice ego boost though.

Again, trust me: get a black knit...
Edited by ColdEyedPugilist - 9/5/13 at 1:53am
post #37286 of 54911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris2012 View Post
 

 

Sounds like a nice outfit, the issue of course with full linen is the wrinkling that will occur, maybe consider a blend?  I like the look of the new MJbale navy blended suit (cotton/linen).

 

This one: http://www.mjbale.com/suits/suits/oberon-navy-jacket?

 

Just happens I tried it on while walking through Westfields this arvo. It's nice. They've only got the following sized pants in store: 30, 34, 36.

 

Working cuff buttons, but the lapel buttonhole was just for show.

post #37287 of 54911

I would so rather have a working lapel and fake cuffs, but it's not a huge problem. That actually looks pretty good, although i'd prefer the button a bit lower. With an unstructured linen you get a lot of puckering when you try to nip the waist if it buttons high.

 

The pants look pretty slim, so i'd probably run into the same problem of choosing between a well-fitted waist, flared pockets, and seam busting thighs, or a potato sack i can crouch in. My Herringbone and Sportscraft suits are danger zone if i drop something and have to pick it up. :p

 

MJ really should open a Brisbane store, the style situation here desperately needs more availability at that price point.

post #37288 of 54911
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhill View Post
 

 

This one: http://www.mjbale.com/suits/suits/oberon-navy-jacket?

 

Just happens I tried it on while walking through Westfields this arvo. It's nice. They've only got the following sized pants in store: 30, 34, 36.

 

Working cuff buttons, but the lapel buttonhole was just for show.

 

Yeah that's the one, thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubits View Post
 

I would so rather have a working lapel and fake cuffs, but it's not a huge problem. That actually looks pretty good, although i'd prefer the button a bit lower. With an unstructured linen you get a lot of puckering when you try to nip the waist if it buttons high.

 

The pants look pretty slim, so i'd probably run into the same problem of choosing between a well-fitted waist, flared pockets, and seam busting thighs, or a potato sack i can crouch in. My Herringbone and Sportscraft suits are danger zone if i drop something and have to pick it up. :p

 

MJ really should open a Brisbane store, the style situation here desperately needs more availability at that price point.

 

Yeah kind of perplexing that Perth and Canberra have stores and not Brisbane, apparently they had a sample store or pop up store (?) here a while ago and it was poorly stocked and didn't do too well.  At least they have a great returns and exchanges policy so its not too bad, just email them and they arrange a courier pick up and all (for suits (applies to jacket / pants)) 

post #37289 of 54911
I'm curious - a small survey is needed. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GRLP72V

I suspect when many people on forums - not perhaps so much here on this highly regarded thread - speak of "going to a tailor" they are really talking about going to an alterationist - some more skilled than others - but not someone who can make you a bespoke jacket and trousers.

When people (YOU) here use the word - do they (YOU) mean alterationist?

When I say tailor I mean a tailor - who could make a suit from scratch.

I suspect thats not what most people mean - after all theres probably only less than 10 left in Melbourne, 3 in Sydney and none anywhere else.

Compete survey here:: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GRLP72V

I'll post results in a week.
post #37290 of 54911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubits View Post
 

 

MJ really should open a Brisbane store,

 

Why open a store that will be flooded with water 6 months later? It doesn't make much sense.

 

Quote:
 I'm happily married and can't / won't do anything about it.

Again, trust me: get a black knit...

 

Are mistresses no longer in fashion?

 

This black knit, is it from P Johnson?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members