or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2460

post #36886 of 58027
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ernesto View Post

lol. Not quite the full kit but there was definitely Crestknit in the house. Mum did work for Aywon.

Cool - I might get in contact - I want to do some digging on the old Sharpies tailors and clothes. Not so much the later gang fight skin head stuff but the earlier clothes obsessed mobs. Much of it was along High Street and Alphington etc.
post #36887 of 58027
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

Seeing that one only wears a T shirt under an opened necked shirt or an old one to the gym - white is the only colour.

Otherwise if you are the type to wear a T shirt without a shirt, and presumably (shudder) without socks, why not go the whole way, htfu and wear a accadacca defacto-beater, or an interchangeable Slayer or Deicide, Cannibal Corpse or Status Quo sleeveless tank top.

I tried the whole 'no shorts, and no t-shirts outside the house except for sport' -thing last year, and then we had a baby, and then we had a fking hot summer, and then I revised it to 'no shorts, and no t-shirts outside the house that aren't a plain colour'. It went pretty well...
post #36888 of 58027
ernesto - for your mum.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


From NZ . 1965
Dinah Lee (Max Cryer) and yes that is Millie Jackson who burns it up with "My Boy Lollypop" - she toured NZ and Oz in 1965

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCUcbRTB6Rs
post #36889 of 58027
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

Cool - I might get in contact - I want to do some digging on the old Sharpies tailors and clothes. Not so much the later gang fight skin head stuff but the earlier clothes obsessed mobs. Much of it was along High Street and Alphington etc.

I was too young for the Sharpies. That look for me is totally associated with the head kickers in the early 70s, even then I was just a little kid. Closest I ever really got was seeing them down at Norflands and knowing not to go anywhere near the Crevelli St shops.
post #36890 of 58027

What's with the T-Shirt hate? They are beautiful and awesome and interesting. Would wear everyday (and do most days) gladly. Especially a fan of elongated Ts.

post #36891 of 58027
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

ernesto - for your mum.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


From NZ . 1965
Dinah Lee (Max Cryer) and yes that is Millie Jackson who burns it up with "My Boy Lollypop" - she toured NZ and Oz in 1965

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCUcbRTB6Rs

Cheers mate.

Was a good place to work apparently. She was a seamstress. They had the lot back then, designers, cutters, finishers etc. Occasional 'celebrity' would pop in as well.
post #36892 of 58027
I'm so young. Though my music tastes are so old. Listening to Queen as we speak. No wonder I don't have a girlfriend.
Mobile uploading is being a twat so I'll do it when I get home.
The only shorts I wear outside of the house are my bathers.
post #36893 of 58027

I only wear Slayer t-shirts.

post #36894 of 58027
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

Someone was looking for a seersucker suit, IIRC

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/haspel-seersucker-suit-for-men~p~4412w/


Thanks mate!

 

I've seen the Haspel ones a fair bit - I'm a bit hesitant though, with no idea how it would fit. 211 isn't bad for half canvassed though.

 

Funnily enough, Arthur Galan, David Jones just got in black/white seersucker suits. I'm not a fan of the colour, but more importantly, they aren't worth the $500. Feel so cheap and the quality is obviously not there (edit: fully fused). I might take a risk and go with the haspel one once I pay off a few bills.

post #36895 of 58027
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ernesto View Post

I was too young for the Sharpies. That look for me is totally associated with the head kickers in the early 70s, even then I was just a little kid. Closest I ever really got was seeing them down at Norflands and knowing not to go anywhere near the Crevelli St shops.

Sydney Sharpies were very different from Melbourne they lacked the style here it all violence the uniform was animal hair cut skin tight t shirts, braces, tight Levis and GP Boots very much an early skin head look.

And on the subject of t shirts Slayer are whips you want something by Mahavishnu Orchestra or Hawkwind along with obligatory flannelette shirt over the top of it.

Hanes Made in USA Beefy T's used to be the best t shirt then they turned to crap.
post #36896 of 58027

This is the only T-shirt a respectable gentleman should ever be seen wearing -

 

Mine are all on high rotation.

post #36897 of 58027

Sharpie style.

 

 

Square-toed, cuban-heeled "chock" shoes abundantly in evidence above. (That's what we called them, anyway.) They gradually morphed into these even more ghastly numbers:

 

 

 

 

 

Classic sharpie band: Lobby Loyde and the Coloured Balls.

 

Actually, Lobby was a pretty handy guitarist.

 

Classic Sharpie hangout: Flinders St Station.

 

 

 

Imagine if this look became fash again. Ugh.

post #36898 of 58027

Is sharpie just and older term for lad?

 

post #36899 of 58027
No Lad is just a moneyed Bogan.

My son would like to know where the young members buy shorts from either online or bricks and mortar. Don't ask me I have already pointed him in the direction of J Crew STP.
post #36900 of 58027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

No Lad is just a moneyed Bogan.

My son would like to know where the young members buy shorts from either online or bricks and mortar. Don't ask me I have already pointed him in the direction of J Crew STP.

 


Excuse my ignorance, STP?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members