Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 3/3/15 at 7:09am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Australian Members - Page 2365post #35461 of 613538/4/13 at 2:41am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #35462 of 613538/4/13 at 2:44ampost #35463 of 613538/4/13 at 2:48ampost #35464 of 613538/4/13 at 2:48ampost #35465 of 613538/4/13 at 2:51ampost #35466 of 613538/4/13 at 3:12amQuote:Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
I thought Vanity Fair was a quality magazine but really http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/style/who-is-the-worlds-bestdressed-man-20130802-2r3ku.html
Kieth Richards judged to be the second best dressed man in the world? You have to be kidding!
Still, I gave up any hope of seeing a decent "best-dressed" list years back, as the winners almost always look awful.
I remember one best dressed list published in the Australian's "Wish" magazine a couple of years back. There were a few people on the list who looked reasonable, although not great, a few who were very ordinary, and an architect who was dressed in a black jumper or long-sleeved t-shirt, black jeans and black sneakers. I thought, "Really? I know quite a few architects and they all dress like that!"Quote:
Very well said. I'm not watching the television for the next five weeks!post #35467 of 613538/4/13 at 3:33amQuote:Originally Posted by Spandexter
So I had a pair of AS Armfield's that were just too light a colour to feature regularly in my rotation so I decided to do see if I could take them to a richer/darker colour. I used a combination of black, dark brown and maroon Saphir colours. Anyway, here are the results. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Nice, I do that to my lighter brown tan shoes, but not to this extent, good job!post #35468 of 613538/4/13 at 3:40ampost #35469 of 613538/4/13 at 7:32ampost #35470 of 613538/4/13 at 9:00amQuote:post #35471 of 613538/4/13 at 3:42pmQuote:
I think that a site or two might have been mentioned at that time, although I can't remember what they might have been.
When you're talking about slippers, you've got to decide whether you want a pair of Grecian slippers, which are only designed to be worn around the house, and the hardier, leather soled velvet slippers, which could potentially be worn outside but which will probably not stand up to too much outdoor wear given that the uppers are velvet.
The former (the Grecian) typically have soft leather uppers and are easy to slip on when getting out of bed. The latter (sometimes called Albert slippers) have velvet uppers and a leather sole and can be embroidered with a crest or with your initials.
If you're not too fussy about what you have on them, you can probably pick up a pair on eBay for a reasonable price as brands like RL Polo (and its more expensive Purple Label counterpart) have often made versions with a faux-royal crest or an "R" on one slipper and an "L" on the other, for example.
There are some places that will embroider slippers with your initials, if you choose, although they're not cheap: http://broadlandslippers.co.uk/Mens-Monogrammed-Velvet-Albert-Slippers
Shipton & Heneage, in the UK, has a wide range of plain and embroidered slippers, with motifs including animals, fruit, crests, cigars and many other things: http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/slippers.html
C&J have a pair with skull-and-bones embroidery - perfect for relaxing after a hard day of piracy and plunder: http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Skull-Crossbones#.Uf7Vq2SPhXM
I'm sure that there are some other places around that do embroidered velvet slippers, too, so it would be worthwhile doing a search. I remember seeing a pair with a fantastic embroidery of an owl on the toe, but I can't remember where it was anymore.
As an aside, I know that Ethan Newton (formerly of Herringbone and P.Johnson, now of The Armoury in HK) used to wear a pair of RL Purple Label velvet slippers with a suit sometimes. It's an acquired, perhaps somewhat pretentious and eccentric look but Ethan carried the look well. It's something that suits some people more than others.post #35472 of 613538/4/13 at 3:47pmpost #35473 of 613538/4/13 at 3:53pmQuote:
Lachy - I suspect that you are correct in regard to most people wearing velvet slippers with a suit, but I saw Ethan dressed like that when he was working at Herringbone. Clearly, he was ahead of the pack!post #35474 of 613538/4/13 at 3:56pmpost #35475 of 613538/4/13 at 4:19pmQuote:
Good - but where are your monogrammed slippers??
- Australian Members
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 1306 Active Users (302 Members and 1004 Guests)
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 10 seconds ago
- › Another Leather Jacket Quest Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 3 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 7 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 8 minutes ago
- › Massimo Piombo 8 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 10 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 10 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 11 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 12 minutes ago
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...