or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2352

post #35266 of 55939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

One last question re shirts - 

I notice a lot of brands have an 'easy iron' finish. I'm guessing this means they've been somehow chemically treated. 

Does this effect their breathability? if so, with breathability improve as the easy iron finish fades?

I had one 'non iron' shirt could not wear it in summer wouldn't breathe then I read an article in the NYT which claimed that the chemicals used were carcinogenic so in the bin it went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post

I can't help but think there's a good chance MJ Bale will become increasingly fashiony and drop the price/quality ratio over time. Is there really room for two Herringbones?

It could be another race to the bottom think CR quality in the early mid 90's now there on a par with sportscraft. Where exactly is the MJ Bale store going to be in Civic?

And with spring approaching at a rate of knots time to put the Bundy OP away and think of gin, remnants of a bottle of Hendricks and Martin Miller in freezer, anybody ever tired Sipsmith?
post #35267 of 55939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

One last question re shirts - 

I notice a lot of brands have an 'easy iron' finish. I'm guessing this means they've been somehow chemically treated. 

Does this effect their breathability? if so, with breathability improve as the easy iron finish fades?

"Easy iron" or "non iron" shirts don't avoid the need for ironing, in my experience, unless you like wearing semi wrinkled shirts.

Buy yourself a good steam generator, like the $89 ones kogan is selling these days, and you'll never need an "easy iron" shirt. One of the best purchases I have made.
post #35268 of 55939
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post


Much as I respect the knowledge of the good burghers on this thread, there are tonnes of threads on this issue elsewhere on the forum.

 

Most of them can't differentiate between 'non-iron' and 'easy-care'.

 

Breathability is important for me as I have a blood condition.

post #35269 of 55939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Most of them can't differentiate between 'non-iron' and 'easy-care'

There is a difference? If so what is it exactly? or is easy care another euphemism for 'drip dry'?
post #35270 of 55939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post



I think that the conference starts at 8:30 on the second day, so we'd have to meet up early. Is there a cafe that you recommend for breakfast in the Manuka area?

Would be interested in this if it's a goer.

post #35271 of 55939
Two brand new with tags Herringbone shirts for sale:

1. Royal Blue Gingham, button down collar with lovely roll, slim fit, Size M

2. Lightweight white OCBD, slim fit, size L >> have a couple of these, and a couple worn twice, too (put that too in for pun's sake)..

Also, a bunch of RL and Herringbone shirts in as new or very good to excellent condition to come soon.

PM if interested.
post #35272 of 55939
Attention all Melbourne members!

There has been some discussion in the past in this thread about a great charity called Wear for Success, which assists disadvantaged men in presenting themselves appropriately in seeking and holding down a job.

As some of you already know I'm on the committee of a sub-group of WFS called the Wear for Success Expert Network, which is a business networking group set up in support of the WFS charity and aimed at middle to senior level executives with an interest in dressing well(ish).

It's a great cause and a way to do some networking whilst at the same time making a real difference for disadvantaged people.

The Expert Network holds regular events for members roughly quarterly, and annual membership is a paltry $50.

The invitation for the next event on August 15 is attached to this post, it would be wonderful if as many of the Melbourne crowd as possible would come along and join up. I know a few members including Gerry Nelson, Appolyon and fxh have expressed interest already, so let's see how many of the Melbourne crew we can get there!

Aside from the networking, free drinks etc, there is usually an 'expert' aspect to each event. Last time for example we got to sample a range of wonderful Pinot Noirs and get some great discounts on purchases. Double Monk will most likely be involved in a future event this year.

There will usually also be a raffle and at the coming event we have $800 worth of prizes up for grabs, including a couple of 7-fold ties from our own Henry Carter (many, many thanks Jas).

Memberships can be paid at the event (eftpos will be available) or if you prefer there are details in the attached newsletter about how to join beforehand.

Please forward the invite and the August newsletter to any non-SF contacts you might have whom you believe could be interested.

Any and all support is most greatly appreciated by both WFS and myself, thanks guys!

WFS_August Invite.pdf 215k .pdf file WFS_Newsletter_August2013.pdf 319k .pdf file
post #35273 of 55939
Awesome, Lennier. I suppose this is the men's equivalent of Fitted For Work?
post #35274 of 55939
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

Awesome, Lennier. I suppose this is the men's equivalent of Fitted For Work?

It's actually affiliated with Dress for Success, which is the female counterpart (presumably a 'competitor' to FFW).

Hope to see you there TBM! smile.gif
post #35275 of 55939
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennier View Post

Attention all Melbourne members!

There has been some discussion in the past in this thread about a great charity called Wear for Success, which assists disadvantaged men in presenting themselves appropriately in seeking and holding down a job.

As some of you already know I'm on the committee of a sub-group of WFS called the Wear for Success Expert Network, which is a business networking group set up in support of the WFS charity and aimed at middle to senior level executives with an interest in dressing well(ish).

It's a great cause and a way to do some networking whilst at the same time making a real difference for disadvantaged people.

The Expert Network holds regular events for members roughly quarterly, and annual membership is a paltry $50. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The invitation for the next event on August 15 is attached to this post, it would be wonderful if as many of the Melbourne crowd as possible would come along and join up. I know a few members including Gerry Nelson, Appolyon and fxh have expressed interest already, so let's see how many of the Melbourne crew we can get there!

Aside from the networking, free drinks etc, there is usually an 'expert' aspect to each event. Last time for example we got to sample a range of wonderful Pinot Noirs and get some great discounts on purchases. Double Monk will most likely be involved in a future event this year.

There will usually also be a raffle and at the coming event we have $800 worth of prizes up for grabs, including a couple of 7-fold ties from our own Henry Carter (many, many thanks Jas).

Memberships can be paid at the event (eftpos will be available) or if you prefer there are details in the attached newsletter about how to join beforehand.

Please forward the invite and the August newsletter to any non-SF contacts you might have whom you believe could be interested.

Any and all support is most greatly appreciated by both WFS and myself, thanks guys!

WFS_August Invite.pdf 215k .pdf file WFS_Newsletter_August2013.pdf 319k .pdf file

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennier View Post

It's actually affiliated with Dress for Success, which is the female counterpart (presumably a 'competitor' to FFW).

Hope to see you there TBM! smile.gif

Lennier this sounds like a great idea. Will try to make it along. I am neither a senior or middle executive but I do my best to dress well(ish)...

Should we RSVP to you or the invite email?
Edited by Pink Socks - 7/31/13 at 10:25pm
post #35276 of 55939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post


Lennier this sounds like a great idea. Will try to make it along. I am near a senior or middle executive but I do my best to dress well(ish)...

Should we RSVP to you or the invite email?

Preferably rsvp direct to the email on the invitation. Might be worth mentioning you're a new member looking to join just to assist them in differentiating existing members' replies. Otherwise if you prefer you can PM me your details (full name, company name and an email should do) and I'll pass them on.

Oh and don't anyone be put off by the 'middle to senior executive' thing, there are plenty of young guys involved. Our committee chair is 28 I think.

Thanks!
post #35277 of 55939
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennier View Post

Attention all Melbourne members!

There has been some discussion in the past in this thread about a great charity called Wear for Success, which assists disadvantaged men in presenting themselves appropriately in seeking and holding down a job.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
As some of you already know I'm on the committee of a sub-group of WFS called the Wear for Success Expert Network, which is a business networking group set up in support of the WFS charity and aimed at middle to senior level executives with an interest in dressing well(ish).

It's a great cause and a way to do some networking whilst at the same time making a real difference for disadvantaged people.

The Expert Network holds regular events for members roughly quarterly, and annual membership is a paltry $50.

The invitation for the next event on August 15 is attached to this post, it would be wonderful if as many of the Melbourne crowd as possible would come along and join up. I know a few members including Gerry Nelson, Appolyon and fxh have expressed interest already, so let's see how many of the Melbourne crew we can get there!

Aside from the networking, free drinks etc, there is usually an 'expert' aspect to each event. Last time for example we got to sample a range of wonderful Pinot Noirs and get some great discounts on purchases. Double Monk will most likely be involved in a future event this year.

There will usually also be a raffle and at the coming event we have $800 worth of prizes up for grabs, including a couple of 7-fold ties from our own Henry Carter (many, many thanks Jas).

Memberships can be paid at the event (eftpos will be available) or if you prefer there are details in the attached newsletter about how to join beforehand.

Please forward the invite and the August newsletter to any non-SF contacts you might have whom you believe could be interested.

Any and all support is most greatly appreciated by both WFS and myself, thanks guys!

WFS_August Invite.pdf 215k .pdf file WFS_Newsletter_August2013.pdf 319k .pdf file
Great initiative.
post #35278 of 55939
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennier View Post

Preferably rsvp direct to the email on the invitation. Might be worth mentioning you're a new member looking to join just to assist them in differentiating existing members' replies. Otherwise if you prefer you can PM me your details (full name, company name and an email should do) and I'll pass them on.

Oh and don't anyone be put off by the 'middle to senior executive' thing, there are plenty of young guys involved. Our committee chair is 28 I think.

Thanks!

Great, will do.

PS Obviously meant "am neither middle nor senior executive" rather than near though there are a few around me (have corrected original post).
post #35279 of 55939
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

I strolled through DJs tonight on the way to RACV for a private room dinner. I wasn't paying.
RACV boring and predictable gathering place of lumpenbourgeoisie as usual.

Curious do the table rats wear Eton jackets? Its a quaint custom still adhered too at the RAC in Sydney.
post #35280 of 55939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Curious do the table rats wear Eton jackets? Its a quaint custom still adhered too at the RAC in Sydney.
I've eaten in the RAC in Pall Mall. I was expecting run down, tatty English food but it was quite good.

Actually, it's practically modern compared to the Australian Club on Macquarie Street. Food served in a silver cloche by a butler in white gloves, wine in crystal goblets, the smell of mahogany and Mr Sheen gently fermenting... I was half expecting Bertie Wooster to pop out and lob a bit of paper at me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members