or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2335

post #35011 of 55030

At the Gatsby function over the weekend:

 

 

Taken by the official function photographer using my camera (a point and shoot). I always thought that being able to focus a shot was an important skill for a photographer - obviously not!

Details: (Click to show)

 

Suit: P Johnson charcoal 3 piece

Shirt: Rhodes and Beckett

PS: Rhodes and Beckett

Shoes: Vintage Florsheim burgundy longwing gunboats

 

post #35012 of 55030
Gerry, nice outfit, and lol at lack of focus by the camera man... biggrin.gif
post #35013 of 55030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

At the Gatsby function over the weekend:

 

 

Taken by the official function photographer using my camera (a point and shoot). I always thought that being able to focus a shot was an important skill for a photographer - obviously not!

Details: (Click to show)

 

Suit: P Johnson charcoal 3 piece

Shirt: Rhodes and Beckett

PS: Rhodes and Beckett

Shoes: Vintage Florsheim burgundy longwing gunboats

 

 

Damn those longwings are LONG

post #35014 of 55030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

 

Damn those longwings are LONG

 

They're called gunboats for a reason ... smile.gif

post #35015 of 55030

im on a hunt for a new briefcase/tote and would appreciate suggestions

 

Can be either leather or canvas (or combo) but mustnt be overly heavy

 

currently use a filson 256 which i find is a tad cheapo and also has become too small for my new role.

 

Daily carrying requirements:

13inch macbook air + charger + mouse

Mini ipad

pens

cards

notebook

lunch container

 

Id be guessing that the filson 257 would be an ideal size but I dont want another filson. Ettinger was on the list but a bit too "blogger" for me

 

not overly concerned about price - just want to find the "ideal" bag for me price aside i.e. I value quality and practicality - whether it be $50 or $500

post #35016 of 55030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

im on a hunt for a new briefcase/tote and would appreciate suggestions

 

Can be either leather or canvas (or combo) but mustnt be overly heavy

 

currently use a filson 256 which i find is a tad cheapo and also has become too small for my new role.

 

Daily carrying requirements:

13inch macbook air + charger + mouse

Mini ipad

pens

cards

notebook

lunch container

 

Id be guessing that the filson 257 would be an ideal size but I dont want another filson. Ettinger was on the list but a bit too "blogger" for me

 

not overly concerned about price - just want to find the "ideal" bag for me price aside i.e. I value quality and practicality - whether it be $50 or $500

 

This?

post #35017 of 55030
Gerry's suggestion is nice, although I'm biased as it looks a lot like mine. Still, it's nice and will age well. Bags of this calibre almost all look better 3+ years down the line than when you just buy them, but you already know that smile.gif
post #35018 of 55030

Rob, 

 

if money is no object:

 

 

Aussie made bro. 

post #35019 of 55030

Anyone seen these before? I'm not sure I'd wear them, but they sure are beautiful. http://imgur.com/a/FeVMb#RJnlTvI

post #35020 of 55030
I've seen those. I'd rather the Common Projects Achilles in tan or a pair of Svenssons.
post #35021 of 55030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

Daily carrying requirements:

13inch macbook air + charger + mouse

Mini ipad

pens

cards

notebook

lunch container

 

 

 

 

Come on, we all know this is a crock. All you need space for is a banana and a Phantom comic, am I right?

post #35022 of 55030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

im on a hunt for a new briefcase/tote and would appreciate suggestions

Can be either leather or canvas (or combo) but mustnt be overly heavy

currently use a filson 256 which i find is a tad cheapo and also has become too small for my new role.

Daily carrying requirements:
13inch macbook air + charger + mouse
Mini ipad
pens
cards
notebook
lunch container

Id be guessing that the filson 257 would be an ideal size but I dont want another filson. Ettinger was on the list but a bit too "blogger" for me

not overly concerned about price - just want to find the "ideal" bag for me price aside i.e. I value quality and practicality - whether it be $50 or $500

I actually had a Filson 257 but have since sold that and moved to a 256,the Apolis one. Have you checked out Henry Tomkins leather, aka H.T Leather. I have a backpack on the way from them. He has about a 2 month lead time, which is a problem but if you're willing to wait I'd check it out.
post #35023 of 55030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Rob, 

Aussie made bro. 
Thanks although that looks extremely heavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxaca View Post

Come on, we all know this is a crock. All you need space for is a banana and a Phantom comic, am I right?

You must have me confused with the wraith smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post

I actually had a Filson 257 but have since sold that and moved to a 256,the Apolis one. Have you checked out Henry Tomkins leather, aka H.T Leather. I have a backpack on the way from them. He has about a 2 month lead time, which is a problem but if you're willing to wait I'd check it out.

Will check it out

Any thoughts on ghurka or lotuff?
post #35024 of 55030
Also check out Frank Clegg.

And for sometime Australian made, look at Rugged Luxury. I've been to their workshop in Byron - very nice stuff and not too heavy.
post #35025 of 55030
Romp, are you looking for something fairly casual, similar to Filson, or do you want something a bit more formal?

Also, do you want all leather, or are you open to leather + fabric (again, similar to Filson)?

If you're looking for a more casual style, you could look at Billykirk in the US:

http://www.billykirk.com/products/no-237-padded-zippered-briefcase-tan-milled

http://www.billykirk.com/products/no-196-bike-messenger-bag-dark-denim

http://www.billykirk.com/products/no-165-medium-carryall-journal-standard-navy

(Note - I haven't looked at sizing for the above examples, so I don't know if they'd fit your requirements.)

If you're looking for something a bit more formal in bridle hide, you could have a look at Pickett or Tusting, as they're quite affordable when compared to Papworth or SAB.

Pickett: http://www.pickett.co.uk/shop/leather-goods/briefcases-and-folios/

Here's a fairly capacious, more casual bag by Pickett: http://www.pickett.co.uk/shop/leather-goods/briefcases-and-folios/Twin-Pouch-Pocket-Briefcase/

Tusting: their "Clipper" is a classic, and comes in quite a few different leathers, as well as a leather and canvas version: http://www.tusting.co.uk/leather-briefcases-and-bags-for-him/leather-briefcases-satchels.html

Tusting's "Porter" model is nice, too - it's slightly smaller than the Clipper.
Edited by Journeyman - 7/28/13 at 5:00pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members