or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2320

post #34786 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfudge View Post

 

I have this problem as well. The flagstones that most of the Sydney CBD is paved with are pretty slippery and not to friendly to those of us with nailed leather heels. I made a tit of myself when I slipped on my ass outside Wollies a few days ago, then there was the time I tried to walk back from the Dymocks building in teh rain in a pair of loafers. I slid about 3 metres before smacking into a pole.

 

Sometimes I think they made the footpaths in the Melbourne legal precinct out of those slippery stones so that when damp they would thin out the herd.

 

Went ass-over-teakettle in an unexpected summer storm earlier this year when caught without umbrella or rubber-soled shoes and put my foot down on a particularly greasy spot while hurrying to get under cover.  Somehow didn't ruin the suit although I did have to dry clean it!

post #34787 of 55952

Need your help guys.

I'm trying to ID the sweater from this video. The best bet is to put it in full screen mode and open up the window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ9YV2_BD8c

 

Many people have suggested the Inverallan 1A I originally thought this too, but on closer inspection, the downward "arrows" on the front are much larger and spaced apart on the Video as opposed to the 1A, and the 1A has cable knit on the arms, as opposed to the "Arrows" on the arms in the video. Help would be greatly appreciated, or decent alternatives besides Inverallan or Woolovers.

post #34788 of 55952

PSA: Ascot Chang tour to Sydney; 12 and 13 August.

 

Sheraton Hotel.

 

More details here: http://acevent.ascotchang.com/20130724/index.htm

 

 

Just got an email from them.

post #34789 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

PSA: Ascot Chang tour to Sydney; 12 and 13 August.

 

Sheraton Hotel.

 

More details here: http://acevent.ascotchang.com/20130724/index.htm

 

 

Just got an email from them.

 

I was just about to post the same thing! :) I'm in...

They're also going to Melbourne on the 14th and 15th

post #34790 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfudge View Post

I have this problem as well. The flagstones that most of the Sydney CBD is paved with are pretty slippery and not to friendly to those of us with nailed leather heels. I made a tit of myself when I slipped on my ass outside Wollies a few days ago, then there was the time I tried to walk back from the Dymocks building in teh rain in a pair of loafers. I slid about 3 metres before smacking into a pole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldwinP View Post

Sometimes I think they made the footpaths in the Melbourne legal precinct out of those slippery stones so that when damp they would thin out the herd.

Went ass-over-teakettle in an unexpected summer storm earlier this year when caught without umbrella or rubber-soled shoes and put my foot down on a particularly greasy spot while hurrying to get under cover.  Somehow didn't ruin the suit although I did have to dry clean it!


In this a vintage V Cleat (suicide cleat) un Topyied Floresheim Imperials the Gold standard in slipperyness and possible death.
Second I find a Dainite sole with the big round lugs.
And third leather soles with lots of nails in the heel.
Even a leather sole with ok heel can do the dirty.

Mostly Topy stops this.
post #34791 of 55952

so, unfortunately I've had a terrible experience with a Kent Wang commission and now am in possession of quite possibly the worst fitting pants ever. I am holding out hope that they may be salvageable with some alterations although they have satin tape down the seam. Can anyone recommend somewhere in Sydney that would be able to do such an alteration? It doesn't appear to be to complicated and hopefully only one or two seems need altering but I would need some expert opinion on what actually needs to be done to correct the problem.

 

Kent has offered a remake with $200 cost to me, not very happy about this but will see what can be done. What's the going rate for seat/thigh alterations? Obviously this is all a bit vague but I just want an overview of my options.
 

post #34792 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZirconiumZephyr View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

so, unfortunately I've had a terrible experience with a Kent Wang commission and now am in possession of quite possibly the worst fitting pants ever. I am holding out hope that they may be salvageable with some alterations although they have satin tape down the seam. Can anyone recommend somewhere in Sydney that would be able to do such an alteration? It doesn't appear to be to complicated and hopefully only one or two seems need altering but I would need some expert opinion on what actually needs to be done to correct the problem.

 

Kent has offered a remake with $200 cost to me, not very happy about this but will see what can be done. What's the going rate for seat/thigh alterations? Obviously this is all a bit vague but I just want an overview of my options.

 

 

if possible, i would suggest you take a fit pic of the trousers and post it on here so we can see whether it's salvageable, and what work needs to be done.

post #34793 of 55952

agreed. I will try to get pics soon, was waiting for a more definitive reply from KW first. So terribly disappointed in the end result but I suppose therin lies the risk of online MTM.
 

post #34794 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZirconiumZephyr View Post

so, unfortunately I've had a terrible experience with a Kent Wang commission and now am in possession of quite possibly the worst fitting pants ever. I am holding out hope that they may be salvageable with some alterations although they have satin tape down the seam. Can anyone recommend somewhere in Sydney that would be able to do such an alteration? It doesn't appear to be to complicated and hopefully only one or two seems need altering but I would need some expert opinion on what actually needs to be done to correct the problem.

 

Kent has offered a remake with $200 cost to me, not very happy about this but will see what can be done. What's the going rate for seat/thigh alterations? Obviously this is all a bit vague but I just want an overview of my options.
 

send me a photo

post #34795 of 55952

Hi

I have just joined this forum and would like to ask a question to all the Australians on this site. I live in Melbourne and would like to purchase 1 or 2 suits for work. I have a couple of suits that I have previously purchased locally and they dont look great. Both are black, one of them has 3 buttons and is large for me, the other has 2 and fits well but a solid black suit.

I have read this forum and for regular business suits I need to purchase 2 suits, Solid Navy and Solid charcoal. I would like to know what is the general consensus on where to buy good quality suits online as I find most local shops very over priced for the quality that they offer.

 

I know that I a size 42 Short in US measurements, however my waist is 34 inches (not 36) so I am assuming that whatever I buy online can get altered locally in Melbourne.

 

I would appreciate some feedback on where is the best place to purchase quality suits for up to 700 each presuming that this is quality suits that would last a long time and look good.

Any advice is appreciated and thanks for reading.

 

Cheers

post #34796 of 55952

Hey all, has anyone ever exchanged/returned stuff to Mr Porter? I see they have some kind of free collection deal with DHL - does that work for us in Australia & does the free 'collection' include the cost of return shipping as well? I know it would be easier to just ask their customer support - I tried, but all they did is paste the standard form returns policy, and didn't bother to answer my actual questions.  Cheers.

post #34797 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancedefrance View Post

Hi


I have just joined this forum and would like to ask a question to all the Australians on this site. I live in Melbourne and would like to purchase 1 or 2 suits for work. I have a couple of suits that I have previously purchased locally and they dont look great. Both are black, one of them has 3 buttons and is large for me, the other has 2 and fits well but a solid black suit.


I have read this forum and for regular business suits I need to purchase 2 suits, Solid Navy and Solid charcoal. I would like to know what is the general consensus on where to buy good quality suits online as I find most local shops very over priced for the quality that they offer.

I know that I a size 42 Short in US measurements, however my waist is 34 inches (not 36) so I am assuming that whatever I buy online can get altered locally in Melbourne.

I would appreciate some feedback on where is the best place to purchase quality suits for up to 700 each presuming that this is quality suits that would last a long time and look good.


Any advice is appreciated and thanks for reading.

Cheers

Before you go online you have some good options:

MJ Bale
TM Lewin
Azzaro
Suit Shop (bit more than $700, but worth the extra yard and a half)
post #34798 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancedefrance View Post

I have read this forum and for regular business suits I need to purchase 2 suits, Solid Navy and Solid charcoal. I would like to know what is the general consensus on where to buy good quality suits online as I find most local shops very over priced for the quality that they offer.

Personally I wouldn't buy a suit without trying it on first.

It might sound fine in theory, but if you get it and the shoulders don't fit, that's going to be major surgery - not worth the pain and the money involved.

Have you considered shopping around while the sales are on (could be finished in most places now) and simply getting a sale suit altered? MJ Bale have a sale at the moment if you look at the posts made yesterday.

Edit: posted this yesterday, but obviously the post is redundant now (it requires moderator approval)
Edited by kayhill - 7/24/13 at 6:31pm
post #34799 of 55952

Try Michael at Alterations by Master.  See him to make you trousers next time.  He draft's onto the cloth, so it is Bespoke, although it won't have the hand work you'd get from Cutler for instance.

post #34800 of 55952
So yesterday I went down to Sydney to order a blazer from Suit Shop.

Met a well dressed Remy in a brown suit and with a massive silver case in the middle of Martins Place which was more than a little surreal.

Remy definitely knows what his doing. I went with a navy twill weave s100 fabric from Guabello, half lined, half canvas with soft shoulders and brassy-mop buttons. Ended up costing me $625.

Remy is a really cool guy and definitely knows what he's doing. He understood what I wanted (a conservative, all year blazer), his fabrics and guides you gently in the right direction. He even threw in the buttons free of charge biggrin.gif

All in all, can't wait pick up my blazer and I'm definitely going with them again sometime next year.
Edited by Oli2012 - 7/24/13 at 5:40pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members