Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 2319post #34771 of 559527/23/13 at 5:06pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #34772 of 559527/23/13 at 5:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by coxaca
Very useful comment, fxh. You're right about the white collar/cuffs in particular. Critiquing the clashing square patterns is obvious, but that was exactly my point. Square patterns, baby. All different sizes. Dig it if you dare.
But yeah, the white collar and cuffs are maybe a bit too much. It's a distraction from the main clash. And it's what gave me vague feeling of angst in front of the mirror. Well spotted.
After all that, I'm kind of peeved that nobody feels the cufflinks. Are they not fine?
Still, too much for the office. Unless you're in advertising firm.
If it were a Tweed Run or a meetup of like minded dandies, you would have checked all the right boxes (sorry, couldn't help myself).Quote:Originally Posted by Romp
Never going to be perfect but id say the 38R is a better base for you.. Especially in length.. You could take in the arm width and maybe in the front waist where it's bunching on your right side. It may be a dropped right shoulder which causes the bunching.. Hard to tell from a photo.
The shoulders on the 38 look a little too big for me. The shoulder seem should sit about 1-2 cm after the natural shoulder. The 38 seems to be about 3cm off. And shoulders are the most difficult/expensive part of the suit to alter.
Then again, the length of the 38 is better.
Oh dear. Wish I could be more helpful.post #34773 of 559527/23/13 at 5:15pmpost #34774 of 559527/23/13 at 5:33pmpost #34775 of 559527/23/13 at 5:34pmQuote:
I experienced very similar to yourself, very poorly packaged, and the coat had more wrinkles than (insert name) However they went above and beyond to apologise and reassured me it will not happen again. Funnily enough l had an MJ suit sent up from Sydney DJ's that same week and it arrived in a suit bag, in perfect condition. If you in the business which includes significant online sales, delivery has to be bang on! Obviously a suit will not be as crisp if you pick it up from the store itself, but you know when something is sub standard.post #34776 of 559527/23/13 at 5:46pmpost #34777 of 559527/23/13 at 6:22pmQuote:
I've tried on the grey Tobias jacket on in store (after picking up the pants a couple of weeks earlier), thinking it was an easy way to pick up another decent cotton suit after already picking their blue Xavier suit. Despite what the measurements say, the Tobias jacket is cut very differently to the Xavier, and is even more casual. It was difficult to put my finger on what was wrong with it, but I think it was just the overall balance. It also doesn't button particularly well thanks to the uber-high button stance. The material was finished in a way that the jacket could only really ever be worn in a casual environment, IMHO. Also worth noting that the Tobia pants are very slim fitting, and has the typical MJ Bale low rise.post #34778 of 559527/23/13 at 6:42pmpost #34779 of 559527/23/13 at 7:00pmI also have the Tobias jacket. Stupidly, bought it online thinking I knew my size in mj bales stuff.
The jacket is on the short side, and would be way too short for you Jason. It's main problem is it has a really poor fit in the shoulders which causes a massive amount of collar gap.
I would however recommend their chinos which are fantastic bang for buck.post #34780 of 559527/23/13 at 7:16pmpost #34781 of 559527/23/13 at 7:22pmpost #34782 of 559527/23/13 at 7:25pmpost #34783 of 559527/23/13 at 8:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by CHECKstar
I've tried on the grey Tobias jacket on in store (after picking up the pants a couple of weeks earlier), thinking it was an easy way to pick up another decent cotton suit after already picking their blue Xavier suit. Despite what the measurements say, the Tobias jacket is cut very differently to the Xavier, and is even more casual. It was difficult to put my finger on what was wrong with it, but I think it was just the overall balance. It also doesn't button particularly well thanks to the uber-high button stance. The material was finished in a way that the jacket could only really ever be worn in a casual environment, IMHO. Also worth noting that the Tobia pants are very slim fitting, and has the typical MJ Bale low rise.
Spot on! I was just there at lunchtime and tried the jacket - it's designed for a specific body-type that's not me
On the plus side, I did pick up a nice woven levya belt at the Henry Bucks sale for $25post #34784 of 559527/23/13 at 9:46pmQuote:
I have this problem as well. The flagstones that most of the Sydney CBD is paved with are pretty slippery and not to friendly to those of us with nailed leather heels. I made a tit of myself when I slipped on my ass outside Wollies a few days ago, then there was the time I tried to walk back from the Dymocks building in teh rain in a pair of loafers. I slid about 3 metres before smacking into a pole.post #34785 of 559527/23/13 at 10:27pmQuote:
Ha, almost saw you there Gerry, I was going to head up but talked to Tom and found they had no green Xavier jackets in stock (i was wanting to check the colour). Copped one online anyway as it's ridiculously cheap and sounds like it will be ok (sort of olive green according to Tom).
Tom also mentioned at the time not to get the Tobias if I was looking for the same block as the suits, shorter and cut differently and he also said the pants were uber slim.
- Australian Members
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 4 seconds ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 5 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Vass Porn Thread 1 minute ago
- › NMWA x Formosa Sportcoat: Let's Get Another One Rolling! 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 14 2 minutes ago
- › Dinkelacker Shell Cordovan Budapester on clearance also one pair of... 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...