Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 7/29/15 at 1:07pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather ClothLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s Moral and Sartorial...Last edited: 8/10/15
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Australian Members - Page 2319post #34771 of 646637/23/13 at 5:06pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #34772 of 646637/23/13 at 5:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by coxaca
Very useful comment, fxh. You're right about the white collar/cuffs in particular. Critiquing the clashing square patterns is obvious, but that was exactly my point. Square patterns, baby. All different sizes. Dig it if you dare.
But yeah, the white collar and cuffs are maybe a bit too much. It's a distraction from the main clash. And it's what gave me vague feeling of angst in front of the mirror. Well spotted.
After all that, I'm kind of peeved that nobody feels the cufflinks. Are they not fine?
Still, too much for the office. Unless you're in advertising firm.
If it were a Tweed Run or a meetup of like minded dandies, you would have checked all the right boxes (sorry, couldn't help myself).Quote:Originally Posted by Romp
Never going to be perfect but id say the 38R is a better base for you.. Especially in length.. You could take in the arm width and maybe in the front waist where it's bunching on your right side. It may be a dropped right shoulder which causes the bunching.. Hard to tell from a photo.
The shoulders on the 38 look a little too big for me. The shoulder seem should sit about 1-2 cm after the natural shoulder. The 38 seems to be about 3cm off. And shoulders are the most difficult/expensive part of the suit to alter.
Then again, the length of the 38 is better.
Oh dear. Wish I could be more helpful.post #34773 of 646637/23/13 at 5:15pmpost #34774 of 646637/23/13 at 5:33pmpost #34775 of 646637/23/13 at 5:34pmQuote:
I experienced very similar to yourself, very poorly packaged, and the coat had more wrinkles than (insert name) However they went above and beyond to apologise and reassured me it will not happen again. Funnily enough l had an MJ suit sent up from Sydney DJ's that same week and it arrived in a suit bag, in perfect condition. If you in the business which includes significant online sales, delivery has to be bang on! Obviously a suit will not be as crisp if you pick it up from the store itself, but you know when something is sub standard.post #34776 of 646637/23/13 at 5:46pmpost #34777 of 646637/23/13 at 6:22pmQuote:
I've tried on the grey Tobias jacket on in store (after picking up the pants a couple of weeks earlier), thinking it was an easy way to pick up another decent cotton suit after already picking their blue Xavier suit. Despite what the measurements say, the Tobias jacket is cut very differently to the Xavier, and is even more casual. It was difficult to put my finger on what was wrong with it, but I think it was just the overall balance. It also doesn't button particularly well thanks to the uber-high button stance. The material was finished in a way that the jacket could only really ever be worn in a casual environment, IMHO. Also worth noting that the Tobia pants are very slim fitting, and has the typical MJ Bale low rise.post #34778 of 646637/23/13 at 6:42pmpost #34779 of 646637/23/13 at 7:00pmI also have the Tobias jacket. Stupidly, bought it online thinking I knew my size in mj bales stuff.
The jacket is on the short side, and would be way too short for you Jason. It's main problem is it has a really poor fit in the shoulders which causes a massive amount of collar gap.
I would however recommend their chinos which are fantastic bang for buck.post #34780 of 646637/23/13 at 7:16pmpost #34781 of 646637/23/13 at 7:22pmpost #34782 of 646637/23/13 at 7:25pmpost #34783 of 646637/23/13 at 8:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by CHECKstar
I've tried on the grey Tobias jacket on in store (after picking up the pants a couple of weeks earlier), thinking it was an easy way to pick up another decent cotton suit after already picking their blue Xavier suit. Despite what the measurements say, the Tobias jacket is cut very differently to the Xavier, and is even more casual. It was difficult to put my finger on what was wrong with it, but I think it was just the overall balance. It also doesn't button particularly well thanks to the uber-high button stance. The material was finished in a way that the jacket could only really ever be worn in a casual environment, IMHO. Also worth noting that the Tobia pants are very slim fitting, and has the typical MJ Bale low rise.
Spot on! I was just there at lunchtime and tried the jacket - it's designed for a specific body-type that's not me
On the plus side, I did pick up a nice woven levya belt at the Henry Bucks sale for $25post #34784 of 646637/23/13 at 9:46pmQuote:
I have this problem as well. The flagstones that most of the Sydney CBD is paved with are pretty slippery and not to friendly to those of us with nailed leather heels. I made a tit of myself when I slipped on my ass outside Wollies a few days ago, then there was the time I tried to walk back from the Dymocks building in teh rain in a pair of loafers. I slid about 3 metres before smacking into a pole.post #34785 of 646637/23/13 at 10:27pmQuote:
Ha, almost saw you there Gerry, I was going to head up but talked to Tom and found they had no green Xavier jackets in stock (i was wanting to check the colour). Copped one online anyway as it's ridiculously cheap and sounds like it will be ok (sort of olive green according to Tom).
Tom also mentioned at the time not to get the Tobias if I was looking for the same block as the suits, shorter and cut differently and he also said the pants were uber slim.
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread 33 seconds ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Leather Jackets: Traditional, Military, Moto, Heritage Brands and... 2 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Buday Shoes - Hungarian Shoemaker 6 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015