Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 3/3/15 at 7:09am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Australian Members - Page 2303post #34531 of 633647/18/13 at 6:27pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #34532 of 633647/18/13 at 9:25pmpost #34533 of 633647/18/13 at 9:27pmpost #34534 of 633647/18/13 at 9:32pmInteresting read from the latest Gentleman's Gazette http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/straight-razor-shaving-guide/?utm_source=N0043_Straight_Razor_Guide&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=N0043_Straight_Razor_Guide&inf_contact_key=b554cd75be38bcfee9009c0d51223596a5dda9f6d345ecb11be65941ea21b260post #34535 of 633647/18/13 at 9:41pm
I have two straights of differing grinds. Sometimes you want the exquisite "ping" of a hollow ground, but they can be a bit of work.
I also have my grandfather's razor, a Rolls. It has a built in stone/strop, and the original blades still gives great shaves after 70 years (i have had them properly honed once). Very technically interesting device.
That said, 90% of my shaves are done with a DE due to laziness. You still get an epic shave, the razors are as satisfying as a straight, and it's almost impossible to stuff up. 20 bucks for a 100 pack of Astra SP's is well over a year's worth of shaving, too.
Modern cartridges are expensive junk.post #34536 of 633647/18/13 at 10:10pmQuote:Quote:
+1. I have an unhealthy fascination with knit ties, and those with polka dots as well.post #34537 of 633647/18/13 at 10:14pmQuote:
+2. I've got quite a few navy knit ties with polka dots - white dots, green dots, pink dots and sky blue dots. All I need to complete the collection is to find a nice navy knit tie with red dots, and then the ever-so-elusive "rainbow" knit tie, with dots of different colours.
So, I'd say go for it - a polka-dot knit tie looks good with a range of outfits and can be dressed down or dressed up (within reason, of course, remembering that a knit tie is inherently more casual than its woven counterpart).post #34538 of 633647/18/13 at 10:18pmpost #34539 of 633647/18/13 at 11:37pmpost #34540 of 633647/18/13 at 11:55pmpost #34541 of 633647/19/13 at 12:22ampost #34542 of 633647/19/13 at 12:33amFrom an article entitled Why do men wear shorts from Pacific Standard
As I sit here in Southern California, wearing pants, while also surrounded by the throngs of men wandering the streets and wearing shorts (and also wearing mid-calf socks, which … is confusing?), the distinction is no less clear. Pants? Shorts? Man, I just don’t know. So, I exchanged emails with Professor Susan Kaiser of the University of California-Davis, who is an expert in the psychology of clothing. To get a hold on Arguably the Most Important Question Facing the Modern American Male, Kaiser suggested we look at the Western history of shorts:
Within Western culture, the history of shorts becomes intertwined with those of breeches or culottes (worn prior to the French Revolution in 1789), and thereby linked with issues of class as well as masculinity. Long trousers had been worn by the working classes, whereas aristocratic and bourgeois men wore breeches/knickers/culottes. This changed after the revolution, and long pants began to be worn by men of all classes in the 19th century. Shorts per se were for little boys, who “evolved” into their manhood by switching from long white dresses (infants) to shorter white dresses (toddlers) to shorts (little boy) to breeches (middle childhood or so) to long trousers (probably teens). This progression—associated with the 19th and early 20th centuries—was associated not only with age grades but also with a kind of “flight from femininity” and toward manhood. (The implication, of course, is that femininity did not have the same trajectory; it was infantilized to a much greater extent.)post #34543 of 633647/19/13 at 12:49ampost #34544 of 633647/19/13 at 1:58ampost #34545 of 633647/19/13 at 2:12am
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
- › Herring Shoes - Experiences? 2 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 3 minutes ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUN... 3 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 7 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...