Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 3/3/15 at 7:09am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 2303post #34531 of 604547/18/13 at 6:27pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #34532 of 604547/18/13 at 9:25pmpost #34533 of 604547/18/13 at 9:27pmpost #34534 of 604547/18/13 at 9:32pmInteresting read from the latest Gentleman's Gazette http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/straight-razor-shaving-guide/?utm_source=N0043_Straight_Razor_Guide&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=N0043_Straight_Razor_Guide&inf_contact_key=b554cd75be38bcfee9009c0d51223596a5dda9f6d345ecb11be65941ea21b260post #34535 of 604547/18/13 at 9:41pm
I have two straights of differing grinds. Sometimes you want the exquisite "ping" of a hollow ground, but they can be a bit of work.
I also have my grandfather's razor, a Rolls. It has a built in stone/strop, and the original blades still gives great shaves after 70 years (i have had them properly honed once). Very technically interesting device.
That said, 90% of my shaves are done with a DE due to laziness. You still get an epic shave, the razors are as satisfying as a straight, and it's almost impossible to stuff up. 20 bucks for a 100 pack of Astra SP's is well over a year's worth of shaving, too.
Modern cartridges are expensive junk.post #34536 of 604547/18/13 at 10:10pmQuote:Quote:
+1. I have an unhealthy fascination with knit ties, and those with polka dots as well.post #34537 of 604547/18/13 at 10:14pmQuote:
+2. I've got quite a few navy knit ties with polka dots - white dots, green dots, pink dots and sky blue dots. All I need to complete the collection is to find a nice navy knit tie with red dots, and then the ever-so-elusive "rainbow" knit tie, with dots of different colours.
So, I'd say go for it - a polka-dot knit tie looks good with a range of outfits and can be dressed down or dressed up (within reason, of course, remembering that a knit tie is inherently more casual than its woven counterpart).post #34538 of 604547/18/13 at 10:18pmpost #34539 of 604547/18/13 at 11:37pmpost #34540 of 604547/18/13 at 11:55pmpost #34541 of 604547/19/13 at 12:22ampost #34542 of 604547/19/13 at 12:33amFrom an article entitled Why do men wear shorts from Pacific Standard
As I sit here in Southern California, wearing pants, while also surrounded by the throngs of men wandering the streets and wearing shorts (and also wearing mid-calf socks, which … is confusing?), the distinction is no less clear. Pants? Shorts? Man, I just don’t know. So, I exchanged emails with Professor Susan Kaiser of the University of California-Davis, who is an expert in the psychology of clothing. To get a hold on Arguably the Most Important Question Facing the Modern American Male, Kaiser suggested we look at the Western history of shorts:
Within Western culture, the history of shorts becomes intertwined with those of breeches or culottes (worn prior to the French Revolution in 1789), and thereby linked with issues of class as well as masculinity. Long trousers had been worn by the working classes, whereas aristocratic and bourgeois men wore breeches/knickers/culottes. This changed after the revolution, and long pants began to be worn by men of all classes in the 19th century. Shorts per se were for little boys, who “evolved” into their manhood by switching from long white dresses (infants) to shorter white dresses (toddlers) to shorts (little boy) to breeches (middle childhood or so) to long trousers (probably teens). This progression—associated with the 19th and early 20th centuries—was associated not only with age grades but also with a kind of “flight from femininity” and toward manhood. (The implication, of course, is that femininity did not have the same trajectory; it was infantilized to a much greater extent.)post #34543 of 604547/19/13 at 12:49ampost #34544 of 604547/19/13 at 1:58ampost #34545 of 604547/19/13 at 2:12am
- Australian Members
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The Wide Fitting Shoe Trading Post (EEE / G width) 44 seconds ago
- › FRIDAY (really Saturday) CHALLENGE: March 28th: 50 Shades of Black Tie 2 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 2 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 3 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 4 minutes ago
- › lefty's random dog thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 5 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...