Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 2303post #34531 of 547967/18/13 at 6:27pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #34532 of 547967/18/13 at 9:25pmpost #34533 of 547967/18/13 at 9:27pmpost #34534 of 547967/18/13 at 9:32pmInteresting read from the latest Gentleman's Gazette http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/straight-razor-shaving-guide/?utm_source=N0043_Straight_Razor_Guide&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=N0043_Straight_Razor_Guide&inf_contact_key=b554cd75be38bcfee9009c0d51223596a5dda9f6d345ecb11be65941ea21b260post #34535 of 547967/18/13 at 9:41pm
I have two straights of differing grinds. Sometimes you want the exquisite "ping" of a hollow ground, but they can be a bit of work.
I also have my grandfather's razor, a Rolls. It has a built in stone/strop, and the original blades still gives great shaves after 70 years (i have had them properly honed once). Very technically interesting device.
That said, 90% of my shaves are done with a DE due to laziness. You still get an epic shave, the razors are as satisfying as a straight, and it's almost impossible to stuff up. 20 bucks for a 100 pack of Astra SP's is well over a year's worth of shaving, too.
Modern cartridges are expensive junk.post #34536 of 547967/18/13 at 10:10pmQuote:Quote:
+1. I have an unhealthy fascination with knit ties, and those with polka dots as well.post #34537 of 547967/18/13 at 10:14pmQuote:
+2. I've got quite a few navy knit ties with polka dots - white dots, green dots, pink dots and sky blue dots. All I need to complete the collection is to find a nice navy knit tie with red dots, and then the ever-so-elusive "rainbow" knit tie, with dots of different colours.
So, I'd say go for it - a polka-dot knit tie looks good with a range of outfits and can be dressed down or dressed up (within reason, of course, remembering that a knit tie is inherently more casual than its woven counterpart).post #34538 of 547967/18/13 at 10:18pmpost #34539 of 547967/18/13 at 11:37pmpost #34540 of 547967/18/13 at 11:55pmpost #34541 of 547967/19/13 at 12:22ampost #34542 of 547967/19/13 at 12:33amFrom an article entitled Why do men wear shorts from Pacific Standard
As I sit here in Southern California, wearing pants, while also surrounded by the throngs of men wandering the streets and wearing shorts (and also wearing mid-calf socks, which … is confusing?), the distinction is no less clear. Pants? Shorts? Man, I just don’t know. So, I exchanged emails with Professor Susan Kaiser of the University of California-Davis, who is an expert in the psychology of clothing. To get a hold on Arguably the Most Important Question Facing the Modern American Male, Kaiser suggested we look at the Western history of shorts:
Within Western culture, the history of shorts becomes intertwined with those of breeches or culottes (worn prior to the French Revolution in 1789), and thereby linked with issues of class as well as masculinity. Long trousers had been worn by the working classes, whereas aristocratic and bourgeois men wore breeches/knickers/culottes. This changed after the revolution, and long pants began to be worn by men of all classes in the 19th century. Shorts per se were for little boys, who “evolved” into their manhood by switching from long white dresses (infants) to shorter white dresses (toddlers) to shorts (little boy) to breeches (middle childhood or so) to long trousers (probably teens). This progression—associated with the 19th and early 20th centuries—was associated not only with age grades but also with a kind of “flight from femininity” and toward manhood. (The implication, of course, is that femininity did not have the same trajectory; it was infantilized to a much greater extent.)post #34543 of 547967/19/13 at 12:49ampost #34544 of 547967/19/13 at 1:58ampost #34545 of 547967/19/13 at 2:12am
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread 34 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 39 seconds ago
- › Friday Challenge 19th September 2014: Brown tie without a staple... 52 seconds ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 54 seconds ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 2 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 5 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 7 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 9 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)