Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 4/17/16 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Grant Stone
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 2301post #34501 of 679467/17/13 at 8:40ampost #34502 of 679467/17/13 at 8:49ampost #34503 of 679467/17/13 at 3:34pmQuote:
Best bet would be the National Library of Australia newspaper collection. The State Library of NSW, been years since I have done research there so don't know what their newspaper collection is like. You would probably be more likely to find ads in the local community papers which serviced the electorate.
Fuck Queensland and now another year for NSW in the 7th circle of Dante's Hell.
Edited by Geoffrey Firmin - 7/17/13 at 3:50pmpost #34504 of 679467/17/13 at 4:02pmLast fit of the week for me -
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Coat: Herringbone Sydney Hopsack
Tie: Henry Carter Forest Green cashmere knit
Trousers: HY light grey flannel
Shoes: Meermin Chukkapost #34505 of 679467/17/13 at 4:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by iSurg
A friend uses Katrina's still, even after the change of shop owners. I've used them for small things like hemming polos. heard that they are skilled enough to disassemble shoulders, etc. relatively well, trained vietnamese seamstresses. alternatively, Mammone was also recommended, but really expensive. PJ's alterations tailor is a pure gem but she only does PJ now. She can alter stuff super quickly and to excellent result.
I'm kind of on the fence about Katrina's. On the one hand I've had a bunch of stuff done there and it has always been done well. On the other, there's a communication barrier--both because some of their staff don't speak English well, and because no-one there wears tailored clothing themselves. It's a bit like your baker not liking bread. So I think they're fine for straightforward alterations, but not for 'building a relationship' -- all imo, of course.post #34506 of 679467/17/13 at 5:28pm
I've been meaning to post a review of my Suitshop experience too, but I've been crazy busy all month. I'm actually wearing my Suitshop suit today, so if I remember to take photos when I get home I'll throw those up too. More than happy with the experience of being fitted, the painless alterations process (Very little adjustment needed, actually! Very impressed at how close it was the first time) and of course with the suit.post #34507 of 679467/17/13 at 6:13pmpost #34508 of 679467/17/13 at 8:34pmWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by burnso
Hi gents, I have a Suitshop review for all.
I could go on and on about all the great things, but Ill try to keep it short.
- I wanted a sport coat. I was not quite at PJ level yet but wanted the kind of things they offer (from reading around here): great fabric, a great (modern) fit, soft shoulders, choice of everything.
- I have minimal experience with suit and jacket purchasing.
- I have a couple of beautiful MTO suits, but the lack of proper measuring left a few shortcomings (such as not allowing for my lower RH shoulder, and also when the jacket & sleeves were lengthened, it threw off the button stance by the same amount = button stance too high). I also have a few sport coats purchased off the rack.
- We'd all been anticipating Suitshop, so it was my first logical choice for a MTM garment. The things I especially liked were that PJs methods, experience, (modern) styling and watchful eye were associated with this, Romp was on board, and they were local (ie I could chase them up and they could be accountable... not that I expected that)
- I wanted a mid 'steel/ grey blue', something that looked plain blue from a distance, but with checks visible up close. Something versatile that could be worn night and day, dressed up or down.
- Matt was great. His input and passion was very valuable. He had a fabric in mind when I described to him what I wanted, and when I saw it it was perfect.
Ariston fabric AR0047 was from their higher end fabrics and something I think PJ stocks (I found 'Ariston four seasons' swatches on the Kent Wang website).
- I wore one of my existing suits for Matt to critique. He found a few points, then went through his measurements and then trying on of his sample suit to tweak. The measuring process was very thorough and I was impressed.
- Jacket came back 5 weeks later, Matt brought it around to check, and it was perfect.
- The material and fit are superb. Really couldn't be happier with the result, and ended up with exactly the jacket I had imagined. This will get a lot of wear. I will soon order some pants to make it a casual suit.
- I wouldn't hesitate at all to order a bunch of things from them while Im at this price point.
- Here's a pic of the jacket. No fit pic because my woeful photography would not do this justice.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Feel free to ask or PM any Q's
Ok guys, as promised some average quality fit pics
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Also, with OCBD, should they always be buttoned down, even if no tie or sweater?
This is Luxire one. I am impressed with the fabric and happy with the shirt in general, but the collar is not as nice as my other business Luxire shirts...post #34509 of 679467/17/13 at 8:48pmpost #34510 of 679467/17/13 at 8:52pmQuote:
Hah yeah, I guess I have mainly bought a few BD's so I can wear with sweaters (casually), but without a sweater I prefer the normal look. I also like the material, so I might have to get one or two without button down...post #34511 of 679467/17/13 at 9:01pmQuote:I take back what I said about this looking better as a suit. It's darker than I first thought looking at your original photo.Originally Posted by burnso
Ok guys, as promised some average quality fit pics
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Edit: In case that sounded snarky it wasn't; burnso that would look equally well as a suit but the darker colour makes it more wearable as a separate IMO.
Edited by Prince of Paisley - 7/18/13 at 1:35ampost #34512 of 679467/17/13 at 9:20pmpost #34513 of 679467/17/13 at 9:29pmpost #34514 of 679467/18/13 at 12:31ampost #34515 of 679467/18/13 at 12:41amQuote:
Do not worry, they will pack everything up very safely...
Coxaca - I use Chronic Fix in Greville Street, Prahran and have had good results (do a thread search). But basically, it is still an open question here on the forum so you might have to take a gamble and try a place that looks good. And report back.
This thread is locked
- Australian Members
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 56 seconds ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 5 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 6 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 13 minutes ago
- › NFL 2015-16 Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Truman Boots 16 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 17 minutes ago
- › Migrants, Immigrants, Refugees, and Aliens in Euro-Zone 31 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts