Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 2301
Styleforum Top Pickspost #34502 of 534567/17/13 at 8:49ampost #34503 of 534567/17/13 at 3:34pmQuote:
Best bet would be the National Library of Australia newspaper collection. The State Library of NSW, been years since I have done research there so don't know what their newspaper collection is like. You would probably be more likely to find ads in the local community papers which serviced the electorate.
Fuck Queensland and now another year for NSW in the 7th circle of Dante's Hell.
Edited by Geoffrey Firmin - 7/17/13 at 3:50pmpost #34504 of 534567/17/13 at 4:02pmpost #34505 of 534567/17/13 at 4:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by iSurg
A friend uses Katrina's still, even after the change of shop owners. I've used them for small things like hemming polos. heard that they are skilled enough to disassemble shoulders, etc. relatively well, trained vietnamese seamstresses. alternatively, Mammone was also recommended, but really expensive. PJ's alterations tailor is a pure gem but she only does PJ now. She can alter stuff super quickly and to excellent result.
I'm kind of on the fence about Katrina's. On the one hand I've had a bunch of stuff done there and it has always been done well. On the other, there's a communication barrier--both because some of their staff don't speak English well, and because no-one there wears tailored clothing themselves. It's a bit like your baker not liking bread. So I think they're fine for straightforward alterations, but not for 'building a relationship' -- all imo, of course.post #34506 of 534567/17/13 at 5:28pm
I've been meaning to post a review of my Suitshop experience too, but I've been crazy busy all month. I'm actually wearing my Suitshop suit today, so if I remember to take photos when I get home I'll throw those up too. More than happy with the experience of being fitted, the painless alterations process (Very little adjustment needed, actually! Very impressed at how close it was the first time) and of course with the suit.post #34507 of 534567/17/13 at 6:13pmpost #34508 of 534567/17/13 at 8:34pmWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by burnso
Hi gents, I have a Suitshop review for all.
I could go on and on about all the great things, but Ill try to keep it short.
- I wanted a sport coat. I was not quite at PJ level yet but wanted the kind of things they offer (from reading around here): great fabric, a great (modern) fit, soft shoulders, choice of everything.
- I have minimal experience with suit and jacket purchasing.
- I have a couple of beautiful MTO suits, but the lack of proper measuring left a few shortcomings (such as not allowing for my lower RH shoulder, and also when the jacket & sleeves were lengthened, it threw off the button stance by the same amount = button stance too high). I also have a few sport coats purchased off the rack.
- We'd all been anticipating Suitshop, so it was my first logical choice for a MTM garment. The things I especially liked were that PJs methods, experience, (modern) styling and watchful eye were associated with this, Romp was on board, and they were local (ie I could chase them up and they could be accountable... not that I expected that)
- I wanted a mid 'steel/ grey blue', something that looked plain blue from a distance, but with checks visible up close. Something versatile that could be worn night and day, dressed up or down.
- Matt was great. His input and passion was very valuable. He had a fabric in mind when I described to him what I wanted, and when I saw it it was perfect.
Ariston fabric AR0047 was from their higher end fabrics and something I think PJ stocks (I found 'Ariston four seasons' swatches on the Kent Wang website).
- I wore one of my existing suits for Matt to critique. He found a few points, then went through his measurements and then trying on of his sample suit to tweak. The measuring process was very thorough and I was impressed.
- Jacket came back 5 weeks later, Matt brought it around to check, and it was perfect.
- The material and fit are superb. Really couldn't be happier with the result, and ended up with exactly the jacket I had imagined. This will get a lot of wear. I will soon order some pants to make it a casual suit.
- I wouldn't hesitate at all to order a bunch of things from them while Im at this price point.
- Here's a pic of the jacket. No fit pic because my woeful photography would not do this justice.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Feel free to ask or PM any Q's
Ok guys, as promised some average quality fit pics
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Also, with OCBD, should they always be buttoned down, even if no tie or sweater?
This is Luxire one. I am impressed with the fabric and happy with the shirt in general, but the collar is not as nice as my other business Luxire shirts...post #34509 of 534567/17/13 at 8:48pmpost #34510 of 534567/17/13 at 8:52pmQuote:
Hah yeah, I guess I have mainly bought a few BD's so I can wear with sweaters (casually), but without a sweater I prefer the normal look. I also like the material, so I might have to get one or two without button down...post #34511 of 534567/17/13 at 9:01pmQuote:I take back what I said about this looking better as a suit. It's darker than I first thought looking at your original photo.Originally Posted by burnso
Ok guys, as promised some average quality fit pics
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Edit: In case that sounded snarky it wasn't; burnso that would look equally well as a suit but the darker colour makes it more wearable as a separate IMO.
Edited by Prince of Paisley - 7/18/13 at 1:35ampost #34512 of 534567/17/13 at 9:20pmpost #34513 of 534567/17/13 at 9:29pmpost #34514 of 534567/18/13 at 12:31ampost #34515 of 534567/18/13 at 12:41amQuote:
Do not worry, they will pack everything up very safely...
Coxaca - I use Chronic Fix in Greville Street, Prahran and have had good results (do a thread search). But basically, it is still an open question here on the forum so you might have to take a gamble and try a place that looks good. And report back.
- Australian Members
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Etsy Leather Jacket, worth it? 27 seconds ago
- › Australian Members 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 3 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 9 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 12 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 15 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style 17 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 18 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 23 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 26 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)