or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2295

post #34411 of 55206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post


Hmm I'd consider the mudgee for more formal occassions but not for $200 when the suit only cost $500.
Thanks Sliq. While I love the suit it's not that easy to match things with at times. If I had free reign (MTM or Bespoke) and wanted something similar I'd choose the hounstooth in a darker grey over this or a smaller scale POW check. Still, it's a great suit and always gets compliments.

The slobbering on my stuff usually happens in the blink of an eye, say when I walk in the door and I pick her up for a hug or the wife hands her over before I can get a word in (i.e babies been cranky all arvo). She is about to start teething now so is a bit of a dribble planet at present.

 

Love a three piece suit and stoked the mudgee is back! Time to drop $1K

post #34412 of 55206
I must admit to wearing a 3 piece during the winter months. Have done for the last five or six years. Not often, maybe once a fortnight.
I also think there's a lot to be said for substituting a jacket for a waistcoat during the summer. However go easy on the back. It is traditionally covered with a shiny lining to make it more comfortable to wear. The back was never designed to be seen. I'm going to go for self backed next time round.
post #34413 of 55206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris2012 View Post

Love a three piece suit and stoked the mudgee is back! Time to drop $1K
Sorry what I meant was I already have the mudgee, which I got for $500 (2 for 1K). I'd be hard pressed to add another $200 just for the vest, which is a pretty cheap item to make, structure wise. $150, maybe.
post #34414 of 55206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post


Sorry what I meant was I already have the mudgee, which I got for $500 (2 for 1K). I'd be hard pressed to add another $200 just for the vest, which is a pretty cheap item to make, structure wise. $150, maybe.

Sorry for the confussion I got what you meant, I was saying I am going to do the 2 for 1K and whilst I agree I don't think the materials & the cost of the suit warrant a $200 waistcoat, its been so long since I've seen a 3 piecer I like I'm just going to run with it.

post #34415 of 55206
No worries, if you looked at it on a whole package, for $1200 for 1 x 2 pce and 1 x 3 pce suit from MJ Bale, then that is quite good value I think.

Even though I love mine, I still wish they'd widen the lapels by 1-2 cms
post #34416 of 55206
All my PJ suits have been three pieces, although lately I haven’t got all that much use out of the waist coats. In fact, this winter I haven’t worn a waistcoat once. I have an appointment later this week, and think I’ll probably pass on the waistcoat this time, but I might have a last minute change of heart.
post #34417 of 55206
I got one for my most recent suit because it was only an extra $150.

It's being made self-backed in a 380gm fabric.... going to be very warm! I doubt I will get much wear out of it but it's a bit of a test.

I think I will also get a vest done for an upcoming suit in light fresco. It might seem odd for a summer suit, but the idea is that it will enable to suit to be used into the colder months somewhat.
post #34418 of 55206
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

I got one for my most recent suit because it was only an extra $150.

It's being made self-backed in a 380gm fabric.... going to be very warm! I doubt I will get much wear out of it but it's a bit of a test.

I think I will also get a vest done for an upcoming suit in light fresco. It might seem odd for a summer suit, but the idea is that it will enable to suit to be used into the colder months somewhat.

 

Look forward to seeing how both of those turn out. I very much enjoy wearing light gm waistcoats in the summer, gives a bit of sharpness without having to wear a jacket and as a minor bonus for something dreaded, if you get stuck in a situation where your upper body might sweat a little eg leather seats in a non cooled car on your way to a see a client, the waist coat has your back...literally ;p

post #34419 of 55206

Rhodes & Beckett are having up to 70% off at their Winter Warehouse Sale tomorrow: http://www.rhodesbeckett.com.au/privateclients/email_20130715.php

post #34420 of 55206
A look I don't really like, but I know many do: jacket & denim.

A look I especially don't like: jacket, denim and a pocket square...it just seems mismatched above and below.

The above is made worse if the jacket doesn't have patch pockets ie is not a blazer.

Thoughts?

It just came to mind since I saw a gent walking down Lonsdale St wearing the latter, with a v neck brown double monks (apologies if this was one of you guys).

It struck me as an odd mix of the formal and the casual.
Edited by lachyzee - 7/15/13 at 10:39pm
post #34421 of 55206
On another note: what do you all usually do re lining in trousers - none, thigh, knee? Or does it depend on material of the suit. I'm considering what kind of lining to get on the aforementioned mid grey fresco. It's a summer suit, so I would think less would be better, but the materialis relatively see through. If I do get a lining, I'm not sure what colour to get.
post #34422 of 55206
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

A look I don't really like, but I know many do: jacket & denim.

A look I especially don't like: jacket, denim and a pocket square...it just seems mismatched above and below.

The above is made worse if the jacket doesn't have patch pockets ie is not a blazer.

Thoughts?

It just came to mind since I saw a gent walking down Lonsdale St wearing the latter, with a v neck brown double monks (apologies if this was one of you guys).

It struck me as an odd mix of the formal and the casual.

If it happened today it wasn't me, but yesterday it might well have been: I was wearing some variant on that precise outfit!

Although I'm disdainful of the suit jacket and jeans look, I think that a blazer/sportscoat with some plain (not 'distressed') jeans looks fine: ideally something with a bit of texture to the cloth.

I tend to wear same with brown chukka boots or double monks, although I've seen it looking nice with 'country' brogues.
post #34423 of 55206
Yeah... I think the entire top part of the outfit needs to be as casual as possible. So that's a patch pocket blazer and casual PS - not fancier folded linen.

And conversely, the bottom part, ie the denim, needs to be as formal as possible...

If there's too much contrast between top and bottom in terms of formality then to me it just looks weird...

Anyway, it's just my opinion. I know a lot of people love this look, as I said,
post #34424 of 55206
Its not a look I like - but on looking around I'd clearly be a minority.
Andy Wharhol managed to make it a uniform - I didn't like it much then.

I can see it useful on a "casual Friday" at some places where wearing the jeans* is a signal to the mob that you aren't a snob and the jacket looks smart (and signals you are a snob)

I don't even really tolerate old tweed jackets with jeans. Cord or faded cotton perhaps. A leather jacket or sport coat maybe.

In my grumpy old view its no tailored jackets with jeans, instead - car coats, pea jackets, blousons, Harringtons, field jackets, and so on.

* even though those wearing jeans are from the ascendancy and earn more than you.
post #34425 of 55206
Quote:
Originally Posted by acinod View Post

Rhodes & Beckett are having up to 70% off at their Winter Warehouse Sale tomorrow: http://www.rhodesbeckett.com.au/privateclients/email_20130715.php

 

 

Oh I tried on some of their shirts for the first time today at their Melbourne Central store before I was going to commit to buying online, lucky I did as even their smallest slim size didn't fit me.. One of the drawbacks of having a small waist.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members