or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2264

post #33946 of 52310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

(1) French cuffs are often seen as flashy and therefore not appropriate for young guys (ie most of SF)
(2) they aren't as versatile as they can only be worn with a suit.

I don't think you need them.

So if you are old (tick) and wear suits (tick) it's ok.
post #33947 of 52310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Lord we beseech thee to drive a stake through the heart of the infidels and ensure that the Wallabies triumph tonight. And as the lyrics go 'in the jungle the mighty jungle the Lions weep tonight'

Have some very nice South Australian Shiraz on hand to wash down home made pizza and as the game rolls on. Mind you in George we trust. Let the game begin (or I will end up pissed before kick off at this rate)

Good start by the boys. Drink up GF.
post #33948 of 52310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post

Why do you people phrase your own subjective opinions as if they are universal truths?

Because it is? I can quote manton, flusser or Roetzel at lengths on this, it's even mentioned in the SF 101 guide to job interviews.

I don't care if 'Aussies don't care about dress' or you think there are 'no rules'. From the last few anecdotes that's plain fucking wrong.

I want to fit in. If you feel comfortable in a courtroom with a 3 piece pinstripe suit, French cuffs, pocket watch and walking cane then more power to you.
post #33949 of 52310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post


(1) French cuffs are often seen as flashy and therefore not appropriate for young guys (ie most of SF)
(2) they aren't as versatile as they can only be worn with a suit.

I don't think you need them.

 

I know (or at least I've read) that they are considered very affectatious in the US, but not so much in the UK (and by extension Australia). There is certainly something to be said for the simplicity of the button, and that's what I generally wear., and what I think looks best on me. I also agree about them being less versatile - I really don't like seeing french cuffs worn casually with jeans...

 

In my experience, however, french cuffs are worn almost universally by legal professionals here in Perth, including people in junior positions. I suspect that's just because the higher end (or perhaps higher priced) shirts that are sold at stores like David Jones have french cuffs. I don't think you would look out of place with some tasteful cufflinks, even as a young guy, but no, certainly won't need a french cuff shirt.

post #33950 of 52310

I disagree with FC's being only suitable for a suit. They however complement a suit very, very well. And are often worn with formal clothing.

 

I've always worn shirts with FC's most of the working week, with and without a jacket. No one ever complains about them but have gotten compliments instead.

 

As long as you're happy and comfortable with what you're doing, why does it matter? If you can rock it and it's suitable for what you do and where you are, and you want to wear it.. do it no matter your age. Cuffs do add an additional layer of interest to the wardrobe, which can be quite fun. 

post #33951 of 52310

I only have 2 cuffed shirts in in a roster of 12-ish shirts, and they only come out for dinner parties, etc. The buttoned cuff is still the most functional, and for me, function is beginning to beget form more so than the reverse. 

post #33952 of 52310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Because it is? I can quote manton, flusser or Roetzel at lengths on this, it's even mentioned in the SF 101 guide to job interviews.

I don't care if 'Aussies don't care about dress' or you think there are 'no rules'. From the last few anecdotes that's plain fucking wrong.

I want to fit in. If you feel comfortable in a courtroom with a 3 piece pinstripe suit, French cuffs, pocket watch and walking cane then more power to you.

Do you actually think before writing?
post #33953 of 52310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post

Do you actually think before writing?

Do you struggle with coherent arguments?

Google this topic, it has been done to death.
post #33954 of 52310
Cufflinks are a pain in the ass to put on in the morning.
post #33955 of 52310
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetminimal View Post

Cufflinks are a pain in the ass to put on in the morning.

This. I look at my FC and BC shirts in the morning and 19 times out of 20 I reach for a BC because I can't be bothered stuffing around with the cuff links.
post #33956 of 52310

I only dress to impress one person: myself. (Unless of course I'm out on a date. But I'm, er, engaged to be married, so that's not likely.)

 

My aim is to be dressed in the best possible taste. Now, taste is a difficult concept. Despite what anyone may say, taste is relative, it is a communally determined concept, it is situational, and it changes over time. Good taste cannot be defined according to any immutable set of laws. Nevertheless, it's out there. This is where the fun comes in: working out what is in good taste, and what isn't. Are French cuffs in good taste, or are they gaudy and confrontational? What about safari suits? Ascots? Collar ruffs? Elaborate horsehair wigs? All of those things have been in impeccable taste at some point.

 

If you're the frontman for a world-famous rock band, it's in perfectly good taste to wear tight lizard-skin pants and a sock around your penis. But not if you're a barrister. Or a barista.

 

If someone notices that I'm tastefully dressed, and tells me so, of course I feel validated. But I don't need it. All I need to do is catch myself in a mirror accidentally and think, "shit that dude is nicely dressed". That's it. That's the whole deal.

post #33957 of 52310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Lord we beseech thee to drive a stake through the heart of the infidels and ensure that the Wallabies triumph tonight. And as the lyrics go 'in the jungle the mighty jungle the Lions weep tonight'

Have some very nice South Australian Shiraz on hand to wash down home made pizza and as the game rolls on. Mind you in George we trust. Let the game begin (or I will end up pissed before kick off at this rate)

Hope that pizza is good, the wallabies are copping a pasting!

Keep an eye out for 007, he is at the game.
post #33958 of 52310
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ernesto View Post

Good start by the boys. Drink up GF.

10-19 half time the Wannabee' Wallabies s are still in it thank you very much James O'Connor. Has the tide turned? And fuck that French referee and his scrum interpretations.

On the subject of French Cuffs as someone who is welded to a key board for long periods I find them just a bit much. OK game on.
post #33959 of 52310
Eloi Eloi lama sabachthani
post #33960 of 52310
ffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifffffuuuu.gifcloud.gifcloud.gifcloud.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members