or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2202

post #33016 of 55241
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa00 View Post

Where do you guys go to / shop online for quality dress shirts for work and formal events? Most of the shirts I try on in Sydney are of sub-par quality and almost see through. 

As Romp said above, if you don't mind paying a reasonable amount (over $200 per shirt), you can get ready-to-wear shirts at P.Johnson tailors that look very nice, or you can pay a bit more and get made-to-order shirts there. Alternatively, Charles Nakhle in Parramatta will make you shirts for around the same price (over $200).

There are plenty of ready-to-wear online shirt places, some with bricks-and-mortar stores, too. Two that offer reasonable shirts at low prices are Charles Tyrwhitt (commonly abbreviated to CT around here) and TM Lewin. Please ignore Thomas Pink as their shirts are pretty much identical to TM Lewin and Tyrwhitt but they somehow manage to get away with charging about four times as much for no good reason at all. Both Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin have pretty much continual "buy 4 for $XXX" sales, where you can pick up decent shirts for $40 or $50 each. Their shirts are easily as good as shirts that sell for $120 - $160 or more in places like DJs.

If you like the idea of button-down collar shirts, have a look at Land's End in the US, as they make good quality, good value oxford cloth, button-down collar shirts.

As Romp also mentioned, there are now quite a number of places doing online, made-to-order shirts. Some of them are decidedly better than others. I haven't used any, but people here seem to have had good results from Luxire and Cottonworks, amongst others. Hopefully, some other people will chime in with their recommendations. Please note that ordering made-to-order shirts online might mean that you'll have to order one, or perhaps even two, cheap shirts first to work out any fit issues or problems with your measurements before you can feel confident in getting your fit absolutely right.
post #33017 of 55241

OTOH the fabric looks really nice and I like the lapel width. Perhaps further photos might reveal the true genius of this garment.

post #33018 of 55241
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxaca View Post




Please forgive my ignorance in such matters, but to me, this jacket looks too small. The fit is OK around the shoulders (although I don't like the slope), but despite the fact that the fabric is sitting flat, the button looks like it's straining to stay closed. And the sleeves are way too short.

Or is this in fact the latest word in suit fashion, à la Thom Browne and his pre-shrunk men's suit aesthetic?

If so, shouldn't the trousers be a lot shorter, revealing bare ankles and stumpy brogues?

From that shot, I don't think that the button looks as though it is under strain at all - the fit around the waist appears fine.

It's only the sleeves that look a bit off to me - I don't know whether they're caught up on something or not, but they really do look a bit short.
post #33019 of 55241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

From that shot, I don't think that the button looks as though it is under strain at all - the fit around the waist appears fine.

It's only the sleeves that look a bit off to me - I don't know whether they're caught up on something or not, but they really do look a bit short.

Agree the waist looks fine and no pull across the fabric. It's always hard judging these things from a still photo in the dark.

The sleeves do look off but hard to tell if it's the shirt or jacket sleeve

Re: shoulder slope everyone's anatomy is different and this has done well to sit smooth on the slope of ceps shoulders.. Guido also had significant slope in his shoulders but with preference for a softer finish that eccentuated the slope. Personal preference
post #33020 of 55241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post


Agree the waist looks fine and no pull across the fabric. It's always hard judging these things from a still photo in the dark.

The sleeves do look off but hard to tell if it's the shirt or jacket sleeve

Re: shoulder slope everyone's anatomy is different and this has done well to sit smooth on the slope of ceps shoulders.. Guido also had significant slope in his shoulders but with preference for a softer finish that eccentuated the slope. Personal preference

 

I agree with this. The only thing I would question would be the sleeves but as Rob has pointed out, it's hard to tell the reason for this. Patrick would already have CEP's measurements on file and the sleeve length shouldn't have changed 

 

The waist actually looks more relaxed than this to my eyes (and I think the photo below is a great fit - also check out the shoulders):

post #33021 of 55241
1. Jacket Sleeves are a tad tight (see my comment above);

2. Charles cuts his right shirt sleeve a tad larger to accommodate my watch (which I was not wearing)

3. Coxaca, re-waist tightness: with the changes Pat made, it's comfortable enough even after a full meal. Trust me; I'm a consultant.

4. I do not have nice ankles and will stick to socks, thanks. But strumpy brogues rock!

5. True genius is better than false genius.

Cheers
Edited by ColdEyedPugilist - 6/15/13 at 7:08pm
post #33022 of 55241
post #33023 of 55241
post #33024 of 55241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

As Romp said above, if you don't mind paying a reasonable amount (over $200 per shirt), you can get ready-to-wear shirts at P.Johnson tailors that look very nice, or you can pay a bit more and get made-to-order shirts there. Alternatively, Charles Nakhle in Parramatta will make you shirts for around the same price (over $200).

There are plenty of ready-to-wear online shirt places, some with bricks-and-mortar stores, too. Two that offer reasonable shirts at low prices are Charles Tyrwhitt (commonly abbreviated to CT around here) and TM Lewin. Please ignore Thomas Pink as their shirts are pretty much identical to TM Lewin and Tyrwhitt but they somehow manage to get away with charging about four times as much for no good reason at all. Both Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin have pretty much continual "buy 4 for $XXX" sales, where you can pick up decent shirts for $40 or $50 each. Their shirts are easily as good as shirts that sell for $120 - $160 or more in places like DJs.

If you like the idea of button-down collar shirts, have a look at Land's End in the US, as they make good quality, good value oxford cloth, button-down collar shirts.

As Romp also mentioned, there are now quite a number of places doing online, made-to-order shirts. Some of them are decidedly better than others. I haven't used any, but people here seem to have had good results from Luxire and Cottonworks, amongst others. Hopefully, some other people will chime in with their recommendations. Please note that ordering made-to-order shirts online might mean that you'll have to order one, or perhaps even two, cheap shirts first to work out any fit issues or problems with your measurements before you can feel confident in getting your fit absolutely right.

Good advice. The pricing vs quality of Aussie shirts is a scandal.
post #33025 of 55241
^
Hear hear. Decent shirts are hard to come by in most generic brick and mortar stores.
post #33026 of 55241

Cottonwork make some beautiful stuff, but they take forever to do it and make a lot of errors IME. 

post #33027 of 55241
MJ Bale Grey Mudgee Weave Trousers, size 34, BNWT, shipped anywhere in Australia - $120

PM me.
post #33028 of 55241
I hope a pay rise is on the cards at the end of this FY. Big tax return + pay rise = MTM every thing including underwear.
post #33029 of 55241
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBunny View Post

Where do you guys get Chinuas/Khakis? Particularly khakis going more for an ivy aesthetic particularly interested in the answers from the ivy folks on here (fxh).
Heard Land End was good as well as Bill's; does RL make good ones?
post #33030 of 55241


Gatsby / BB stuff on display at ACMI. Also Bond's suit from Casino Royal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members