or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 221

post #3301 of 52412
Henry Bucks is apparently thriving which is evidence that some people do pay $1,000 for a pair of Church shoes.
post #3302 of 52412
Quote:
Originally Posted by __PG__ View Post
Henry Bucks is apparently thriving which is evidence that some people do pay $1,000 for a pair of Church shoes.
It is the one-stop-shop aspect of Henry Bucks that makes it work. Men (especially non-SF'ers) do not want to go to specific stores for particular items in their wardrobe. One store, one hour, one transaction...once a year.
post #3303 of 52412
Well at least it's not 100% gaudy stuff and I believe the whole 'oxford' category containing derby shoes is the fact that GQ is an American magazine to begin with (and you know how the whole world's turn American). So dress shoes are all called oxfords.

And yes Australian prices fusking sucks!

Since we're on the topic of GQ. Yesterday I came across GQ Korea. What surprised me is what makes onto its pages there
post #3304 of 52412
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvish View Post
How much is Cucinelli overseas? I walked into its store the other day and the SA told me there was 50% off, but at a reduced price of 2200 for a SC I still can only dream..
From what I have seen, I believe Cucinelli 50% off in Australia is roughly equivalent to full retail in the States. I've seen NWT Cucinelli jackets on B&S for like <$800....

$4,000 for a RTW sportscoat is just ridiculous. It's nice stuff, but at the end of the day it's still RTW, and not all the stuff is cashmere either.

Interesting story about Cucinelli himself - he's a bit of a nutter from what I've read, but that's by the bye.
post #3305 of 52412
Quote:
Originally Posted by __PG__ View Post
Henry Bucks is apparently thriving which is evidence that some people do pay $1,000 for a pair of Church shoes.
Really? My impression from the stores in Sydney and Melb was that is was a decaying olde-world knick knack shop from a bygone era, whose main clientele were slowly dying of old age.

I'm not doubting your suggestion they do well, but it does surprise me. How many bigtimer middle-aged SCs (or more likely QCs in the case of Henry Bucks) could possibly think that shopping there is preferable to buying better and cheaper on their next overseas holiday or work trip?
post #3306 of 52412
I agree...Henry Bucks clientele is slowly dying...however they have opened a few new stores recently so business for them can't be that bad. But I think they'll be in big trouble in 10 years.
post #3307 of 52412
I disagree, I certainly don't shop there but if they set up a quality complimentary web-store they can stay alive and do well.

It is the way normal men like to shop.
post #3308 of 52412
I'm no spring chicken (I'm 36) but I'm always the youngest person in the store...often by a few decades. I have various friends who are 'big timers' but none of them would be seen dead in Henry Bucks. It's a shop for old men..and I don't know where the next generation of clientele are going to come from. They already have a webstore BTW.
post #3309 of 52412
Quote:
Originally Posted by __PG__ View Post
I agree...Henry Bucks clientele is slowly dying...however they have opened a few new stores recently so business for them can't be that bad. But I think they'll be in big trouble in 10 years.
Shadows of Gowings before they went bust...
post #3310 of 52412
http://www.pedestrian.tv/fashion/new...hion/38343.htm

Jesus wept.
post #3311 of 52412
Imagine a Henry Bucks if it goes the way French Connection went 20ish years ago with a complete rebranding to revive itself from collapse.
post #3312 of 52412
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAngriff View Post
Country Road tailor fit formal shirts at $80. They look OK to me. Are they considered decent quality?

dont know about 'tailor fit' line, but i get most of my casual clothes from country road, i'd put them in a better quality level than say RalphL normal line. i have a few silm fit shirts, some pants and chinos, all great stuff, generaly i dont even need to try their stuff on, i know it will fit me as there sizes are very consistant. their shirts (at least mine) all have a small percentage (eg. 1-2%) elastane/polly ect in them which i'm not super keen on and makes ironing a bit anoying sometimes.
post #3313 of 52412
Quote:
Originally Posted by __PG__ View Post
I'm no spring chicken (I'm 36) but I'm always the youngest person in the store...often by a few decades.

I have various friends who are 'big timers' but none of them would be seen dead in Henry Bucks. It's a shop for old men..and I don't know where the next generation of clientele are going to come from.

They already have a webstore BTW.

They must make a shedload of cash at sale time. I see blokes picking up three or four suits and half a dozen trousers at a time.

I don't mind going in at sale time and picking the odd thing up, the rest of the year it's just a waste of time.
post #3314 of 52412
Just noticed in their catalogue that Target has suede desert boots on sale for $35. Not sure of the quality, fit eg, but I might check it out for a cheap knockabout casual option.
post #3315 of 52412
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKstar View Post
Just noticed in their catalogue that Target has suede desert boots on sale for $35. Not sure of the quality, fit eg, but I might check it out for a cheap knockabout casual option.

I might check 'em out too.

Don't forget these Aussie classics:

http://www.advancefootwear.com.au/

Plus Rossi boots have a Roller ripple sole

http://www.rossiboots.com.au/catalog....asp?deptID=15
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members