or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 217

post #3241 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKstar View Post
That's the one. Ok - if you vouch for it, I might give them a go next time.

Wait for a sale if you can. I think at their regular prices they are over the odds (though I haven't been in there in a while).
post #3242 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by minch View Post
I guess everyone has different experiences- I have had a few TM's and think the slim-fits are huge and baggy and not particularly well constructed (shrink significantly after a few washes, plastic buttons etc).

On the other hand the H&H i have fit a lot slimmer tha the TMs (I am a 16 collar, 36 sleeve).

I am a 15.5/36 in TM Lewin slim fits - last order I thought that I would try the 16. The difference in the body was huge to the point that it looked like a joke, so I sent them back for 15's. It's amazing the difference in one size up. I would love to order more as they do fit well, but want to transition away from double cuffs to plain and simple barrel cuffs. Most places really only stck double cuffs nowdays in longer sleves. Given my sleeve length, I don't really think I have too many options elsewhere other then online MTM.
post #3243 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfridge View Post
Thanks for clarifying that (and the posters before), I guess I'll just need to go out there, try some on and see what happens. I might pop into a Herringbone Sydney store as there is one close to my workplace, does anyone have reviews for that particular brand? I can only find posts/threads about people selling them

Look I have thrifted - rather than bought - Herringbone shirts but let me say that these ones (maybe a couple of years old) are top notch.
post #3244 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post
Look I have thrifted - rather than bought - Herringbone shirts but let me say that these ones (maybe a couple of years old) are top notch.

BTW what would a new Bagutta linen shirt be worth?
post #3245 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post
BTW what would a new Bagutta linen shirt be worth?

In quality or in cost?
post #3246 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sator View Post
But it's typical that this sort of thing thrives on this thread. If the other non-Aussie members read it, you'd be made a laughing stock for drooling over that "English" stuff. I've been in Lewin, & Pink etc stores either on Jermyn St or in the US and it's just such crap (pardon the French)

You're right insofar as they're using the Jermyn St name for marketing. But the reality is that the same Chinese-produced stuff in Australia would probably be at least three times the price. When I moved to Aus from London, I had no intention of mail ordering Lewins but I simply couldn't find an alternative. And for those of us without a Vox-level bank account to indulge our vice, we have to target where to spend that bit extra: for me it's shoes and jackets as it seems to be where the bang per extra buck is highest. Certainly higher than shirts which get a fair punishing in an Aussie summer anyway.
I did experiment with tailorstore but couldn't get the measurements right: cost more than the slim fit Lewin but looked considerably worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

edit: as blahman said its Latrobe not Lonsdale - just down from the only Melbourne Club that would let me be a member - Celtic Club
You are dead to me!
post #3247 of 52333
I just ordered my first TM Lewin shirt! I matched the measurements on my Van Heusen shirt and ordered one of their $32 cheap shirts, hopefully once I get the measurements right I'll be able to buy the better shirts with the 4 for $160 deal. In the mean time I'm going to organise an shopping trip with a few co-workers and see if we can hit up Herringbone & MJ Bale in Sydney to see if there are anything on sale (Including the sales mention before)
post #3248 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post
edit: as blahman said its Latrobe not Lonsdale - just down from the only Melbourne Club that would let me be a member - Celtic Club

Did the RACV club reject you?
post #3249 of 52333
Just spent the last hour trying to find a hotel room in either the CBD or surrounds for the 12th March and drew a total blank.

Can some one recommend a cheap hotel in Sydney that may be available or maybe some sites I could check? A B and B would do but the prices I have encountered are effing absurd, what ever happened to cheap hotel accommodation?
post #3250 of 52333
Went op shop trawling this morning and noticed something strange. I found a sports coat with a white "Canali Milan" label. The label inside the jacket says "Made In Australia". This is the second such jacket I've seen when op shopping. Anyone now what this is about? Did Canali have an Australian licensee at some point?
post #3251 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post
Just spent the last hour trying to find a hotel room in either the CBD or surrounds for the 12th March and drew a total blank.

Can some one recommend a cheap hotel in Sydney that may be available or maybe some sites I could check? A B and B would do but the prices I have encountered are effing absurd, what ever happened to cheap hotel accommodation?

Check out the City Lodge on Hunter St.
http://citylodgehotelsydney.street-directory.com.au/
post #3252 of 52333
post #3253 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by strazzaque View Post
Check out the City Lodge on Hunter St. http://citylodgehotelsydney.street-directory.com.au/
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere View Post
Thanks will keep it mind for next time but is there an Amway convention on in Sydney? The 12th March on both sites drew a blank.
post #3254 of 52333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
I did experiment with tailorstore but couldn't get the measurements right: cost more than the slim fit Lewin but looked considerably worse
That's a shame. I never had a problem with Tailorstore. I've gotten all my dress shirts from them, they fit beautifully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman
Did the RACV club reject you?
I'm a member of the RACA Club in Sydney on Macquarie Street. Gets me into the Athaeneum Club in Melbourne.
post #3255 of 52333
http://www.cphsydney.com/about.html In Japanese, but Wotif says rooms are 109 and available on the 12th.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members