or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2110

post #31636 of 55006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spandexter View Post

One of the things I've enjoyed learning about on this forum is how to dress appropriately for the weather - from flannel pants, OTC socks to light weight summer jackets. One thing I haven't got sorted is wet weather shoes.

When you leave the house in the morning (heading for the office) and its hammering down with rain what shoes are on your feet?

An old/ugly pair of beaters?
Nice shoes with a Topy?
Something nice with a double leather or danite sole?
Cordovan?

What's everyone's experience when it comes to the wet weather?

 

 

Something nice with a double leather, Dainite or Topy'd sole. I'm not fussed if it's calf or shell.

post #31637 of 55006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post


the ridiculous tie width and full Windsor is an eye opener in itself.

 

 

I agree but for some reason I can overlook that because to me, it's still a valid way to wear a tie even if it's not the way most of us would wear one..

 

On the other hand, a character that is as polished as sophisticated as Dr. Hannibal Lecter is meant to be should bloody well know that the bottom button on a two button jacket is not meant to be done up and that just doesn't tie (pun intended) in.

 

Maybe he does know and does it anyway as a foo.gif to all of us wink.gif


Edited by Gerry Nelson - 5/18/13 at 4:10pm
post #31638 of 55006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spandexter View Post

One of the things I've enjoyed learning about on this forum is how to dress appropriately for the weather - from flannel pants, OTC socks to light weight summer jackets. One thing I haven't got sorted is wet weather shoes.

When you leave the house in the morning (heading for the office) and its hammering down with rain what shoes are on your feet?

An old/ugly pair of beaters?
Nice shoes with a Topy?
Something nice with a double leather or danite sole?
Cordovan?

What's everyone's experience when it comes to the wet weather?

 

Danite/Commando/Ridgeway (Pick your formality) >Topy'd leather > Leather, for wet weather, imo. I've had some experience with leather soles still soaked in heavy downpours with a topy, as it still seeps through the sides/waist still. Something like a captoe boot would serve you well, in either a traditional calf, or something more casual like a country grain like JM suggested. I currently use a pair of Meermin NSTs and some Barker wingtip oxfords for wet weather duty. I just don't like the damage you do walking on wear leather soles, but I'm not hugely concerned if I do get a pair wet, they dry out easily enough over a couple of days. 

 

In regards to leather, cordovan is a pain in the ass in wet weather. Any water beads, and the droplets stay for quite some time, which tends to mean your shoes look a bit rubbish until the end of the day. Suede is pretty excellent for wet weather, providing you give it a decent coat of scotchguard first. Most retailers do a waxy leather as well which tends to resist water more than standard calf, although doesn't take a shine well.

post #31639 of 55006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spandexter View Post

When you leave the house in the morning (heading for the office) and its hammering down with rain what shoes are on your feet?

What's everyone's experience when it comes to the wet weather?
This would have been the perfect time for me to post my new wet weather boots which arrived this week, but sadly the makers put the wrong sole on so that will have to wait a few more weeks...

For bucketing wet weather I have a pair of pebble grain bluchers, and a pair of rubber soled boots. If it's wet but not bucketing down I'll happily wear Goodyear welted shoes, most of which I've had topyd as well.
post #31640 of 55006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post


I agree but for some reason I can overlook that because to me, it's still a valid way to wear a tie even if it's not the way most of us would wear one..

On the other hand, a character that is as polished as sophisticated as Dr. Hannibal Lecter is meant to be should bloody well know that the bottom button on a two button jacket is not meant to be done up and that just doesn't tie (pun intended) in.

Maybe he does know and does it anyway as a foo.gif
 to all of us 
wink.gif

Maybe he's just imitating John F Kennedy's "paddock coat" style.

post #31641 of 55006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post


Maybe he's just imitating John F Kennedy's "paddock coat" style.

 

Thank you! I just learnt something new and found some more information at http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/?p=2556

post #31642 of 55006
post #31643 of 55006

^ That is hilarious and more often than not, spot on. Though taking the piss like that could also be considered a little cringe worthy.

post #31644 of 55006
Appolyon, there you are! How are you, GT?
post #31645 of 55006
tumblr_mn110uMk131qglvleo1_500.jpg

Today I'm wearing a BB denim BD. I bought this one back in 2010/11 when I visited New York. I like things made with denim.
post #31646 of 55006
tumblr_mmz8nnUa391qglvleo1_500.jpg

Yesterday I wore this. To the NGV. Sneakers to an exhibition. What a commoner..
post #31647 of 55006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

tumblr_mn110uMk131qglvleo1_500.jpg

Today I'm wearing a BB denim BD. I bought this one back in 2010/11 when I visited New York. I like things made with denim.

info on where to cop book-loving woman?
post #31648 of 55006

Thanks for all the wet weather shoe tips gents. Looks like a topyd pair of meerkats or Loakes should do the trick then. If I can find something nice with a Danite sole then I'll check that out too.

post #31649 of 55006
Why not go a pair of RMW?
post #31650 of 55006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

tumblr_mmz8nnUa391qglvleo1_500.jpg

Sneakers to an exhibition.

Sneakers at an Exhibition, isn't that the title of an ELP album?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members