or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2097

post #31441 of 57889

Thoughts on Random Access Memories?

For me: Pretty chilled out tunes. More funky and pretty uplifting. 

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

post #31442 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post

why not try peak lapel? by the looks of most, if not all the photos of your suit jackets, are notch. a peak lapel flannel navy chalk stripe with ticket pocket would be my pick (;

I've got about 30 more to load. Nvy chalk stripe with wide peak lapels would be quite the statement.. Something I'd imagine they'd dress Harvey Specter up in on the show

Personally I prefer a bit more subtlety
post #31443 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSurg View Post

Thoughts on Random Access Memories?
For me: Pretty chilled out tunes. More funky and pretty uplifting. 


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)








Taking me a while to get into it
post #31444 of 57889
Lol you should totally do a daft punk suit
post #31445 of 57889
Denim shirt take 2



Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Coat: Riviera Napoli
Shirt: Cottonwork
Tie: Henry Carter Navy Cashmere knit
Trousers: HY
Shoes: Loake Blackfriars
post #31446 of 57889
Having worked the past four years in HR I believe CV Resume should be two pages max people do not have time or want to sift through War & Peace. Keep the layout simple so its easy on the eye don't clutter it and use dot points. Start with personal educational details then list positions with dates and the job key responsibilities go back at most five years.

Some times its good to list key strengths and achievements don't worry about listing referees.

I know its a bit cliched but for interviews body language is important you maybe wearing a good suit but sitting too casually or like a slob is not a good look. People always respond better when people look them in the eye when talking and don't use the same examples that you used in the application. The amount of people that do this and then go down in flames on these simple things amazes me.

One thing is that if asked a question and you need a minute or two to consider your response use a pen and paper to jot a few notes then respond, it does demonstrate you can think on your feet and how you would apply this in the workplace.

Lastly most of all make sure your referee's are on the same page with you the amount of times I've done referee checks where it has gone balls up is beyond belief and these were for senior positions as well.

Anything else PM if you want.
post #31447 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Having worked the past four years in HR I believe CV Resume should be two pages max people do not have time or want to sift through War & Peace. Keep the layout simple so its easy on the eye don't clutter it and use dot points. Start with personal educational details then list positions with dates and the job key responsibilities go back at most five years.

Some times its good to list key strengths and achievements don't worry about listing referees.

I know its a bit cliched but for interviews body language is important you maybe wearing a good suit but sitting too casually or like a slob is not a good look. People always respond better when people look them in the eye when talking and don't use the same examples that you used in the application. The amount of people that do this and then go down in flames on these simple things amazes me.

One thing is that if asked a question and you need a minute or two to consider your response use a pen and paper to jot a few notes then respond, it does demonstrate you can think on your feet and how you would apply this in the workplace.

Lastly most of all make sure your referee's are on the same page with you the amount of times I've done referee checks where it has gone balls up is beyond belief and these were for senior positions as well.

Anything else PM if you want.

What he said.
I used this guy a couple of years ago and really valued his input. PM me for what I paid if you're interested. One of his tricks was to get a cock up or two down on the CV (and of course explain how you got out of it). Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Tom Hannemann
Advance Yourself Career Services
tom@advance-yourself.com.au
www.advance-yourself.com.au
post #31448 of 57889
^^^ what Geoff said!

For law clerk/grad jobs, frankly my experience is that HR have so many to read that their analysis of each is pretty superficial. If fact, they seem to be using a lot of these online applications now, and I hear apocryphal stories that they use computers to crunch your grades and comb your replies for keywords to narrow done the ones they even bother to read.

Even if that's not the case with a particular firm, there's no real point in putting 'lipstick on a pig': trying to use verbiage to dress things up in the hope of distracting from a weak point (ironically, the very job of a lawyer).

Finally, don't be discouraged by the impersonal rejection letters (probably emails these days). I bombed out on the few interviews I did get, but then was offered a job on the spot by a partner at an excellent firm off the recommendation from a particular lecturer.

That's another truth of the process: there are lots of people who get jobs through connections. Mine, I felt like I earned: the partner asked his friend, the professor, for the name of a top student in this particular field; I had worked hard in the class and apparently managed to impress (then the GFC came, another story entirely...). But I've worked with plenty of people who were ordinary, but had a father (or mother, for that matter) who was a director of a client company, an influential Silk, a politician etc etc...
post #31449 of 57889
dont listen to them do this!



2 pages max smile.gif
post #31450 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by The False Prophet View Post

^^^ what Geoff said!

That's another truth of the process: there are lots of people who get jobs through connections.

Centerlink before it became DHS here in Canberra used to be notorious for this shit, mothers getting daughters jobs and the panel openly discussing that the fix was in WTF.
post #31451 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Centerlink before it became DHS here in Canberra used to be notorious for this shit, mothers getting daughters jobs and the panel openly discussing that the fix was in WTF.
I think this is pretty much a pan-public service phenomenon.
post #31452 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post

Denim shirt take 2
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Coat: Riviera Napoli
Shirt: Cottonwork
Tie: Henry Carter Navy Cashmere knit
Trousers: HY
Shoes: Loake Blackfriars
Nailed it.
post #31453 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Centerlink before it became DHS here in Canberra used to be notorious for this shit, mothers getting daughters jobs and the panel openly discussing that the fix was in WTF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

I think this is pretty much a pan-public service phenomenon.

Yep, not so much at the higher levels, but when I started in the public service I was surprised that there were quite a few family connections around the same area. Of course, that's not necessarily evidence of a "fix", so to speak, but could instead be a case of parent (who already works for the dept) letting child know about vacancy, giving them good advice with selection criteria, giving them a glowing referee report and so on.

Speaking of referee reports and Geoffrey Firmin's comment above about making sure your referees are on the same page as you, I was on a selection committee some years back where we had an internal applicant from another division who had an outstanding written reference from his manager.

My manager, who was chairing the selection committee, knew the other manager and called her up to talk about the candidate. When the other manager (the referee) heard that her staff member had applied for an internal position using her referee report, she apparently cried out, "Oh, sh!t! I'm so sorry, I didn't realise that he was going to apply for an internal position. I gave him a good referee report so that he'd be able to get a job somewhere else and would leave the organisation!"

Needless to say, that candidate didn't get the job...
post #31454 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

I think this is pretty much a pan-public service phenomenon.

This department was the worst, they were also the ones who kicked up the biggest stink about losing their identity when rolled in DHS. Mob of fuckers in my experience. ( this is being polite)
post #31455 of 57889
My latest FedEx delivery has, so far, gone from Bangalore > Mumbai > New Delhi > Bangkok > Guangzhou > Melbourne (tomorrow, I hope, although I wouldn't rule out a SIN being thrown in there). Seems slightly unnecessary, but what do I know.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members