or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2091

post #31351 of 54974
So who still reckons you don't need a top coat in Melbourne in winter?
post #31352 of 54974
It's so fucking cold, guys. I tell you. Holy shit. My Indian made bones are not cut out for this. I'm made for Linen in Summer..
post #31353 of 54974

Wore my flannel suit yesterday. The icy wind blowing across your face, but feeling warm everywhere else. Amazing. 

post #31354 of 54974
post #31355 of 54974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post


I wore my new pea coat at long last.

Pics or it didn't happen.

 

Grant

post #31356 of 54974
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ernesto View Post

So who still reckons you don't need a top coat in Melbourne in winter?

Given, how expensive a decent waterproof topcoat is (storm system), I really feel like gloves, v necks, scarves and a waterproof mac with a liner should be a much higher priority since they are much more versatile. There aren't more than 2 weeks of days in Melbourne that are truly topcoat worthy. And most days that are, are also wet. I'm not saying the topcoat doesn't have a place in a Melbourne wardrobe, I just don't think anyone should make it their priority.

Fair disclosure:this is written from the point of view of someone who doesn't feel the cold that badly. You skinny gents may beg to differ!
post #31357 of 54974
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

Given, how expensive a decent waterproof topcoat is (storm system), I really feel like gloves, v necks, scarves and a waterproof mac with a liner should be a much higher priority since they are much more versatile. There aren't more than 2 weeks of days in Melbourne that are truly topcoat worthy. And most days that are, are also wet. I'm not saying the topcoat doesn't have a place in a Melbourne wardrobe, I just don't think anyone should make it their priority.

Fair disclosure:this is written from the point of view of someone who doesn't feel the cold that badly. You skinny gents may beg to differ!

I'm currently 61 kilos!

Agree that a mac with a liner is a great option and I wasn't suggesting a waterproof topcoat, just a warm three quarter length wool or wool cashmere combo. I have found decent ones are hard to find apart from Henry Bucks (don't want to pay that inflated coin).
post #31358 of 54974
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ernesto View Post

I'm currently 61 kilos!

Agree that a mac with a liner is a great option and I wasn't suggesting a waterproof topcoat, just a warm three quarter length wool or wool cashmere combo. I have found decent ones are hard to find apart from Henry Bucks (don't want to pay that inflated coin).

In that case, you need to be looking into one of these :P



Yes the cost is definitely the thing with topcoats. Just my opinion, but I reckon the first nice business coat you get should be waterproof, so that's it a bit more versatile (in rainy Melbourne). The lack of cheaply available waterproof topcoats (Loro Piana storm system is the only waterproof wool I am aware of, and anything made out of that is fiendishly expensive) leads me to believe the more widely available Mac is a better option for most people when starting out, given that your budget is better spent on suits and shirts, really. Big timers will, of course, own both.

Also most of us tend to go to work on PT, and topcoats can also leave you baking/bulky.

Happy to be corrected if anyone can point out a good source for them?
post #31359 of 54974
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

It's so fucking cold, guys. I tell you. Holy shit. My Indian made bones are not cut out for this. I'm made for Linen in Summer..

You want to live in Bleak City? Deal with it! lol8[1].gif
post #31360 of 54974
Since it's so good:
post #31361 of 54974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

 

you're back! buy much ?

 

no time this time - just picked up 2 pairs of supergas. Not too much of a tragedy, will be going back there in a couple of weeks.

 

Did a quick recon into Uniqlo and Muji - all spring/summer goodies. Some of the printed shorts in uniqlo were not too bad. They were also clearing out their machine-washable wool cardis for $18.

post #31362 of 54974
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

Given, how expensive a decent waterproof topcoat is (storm system), I really feel like gloves, v necks, scarves and a waterproof mac with a liner should be a much higher priority since they are much more versatile. There aren't more than 2 weeks of days in Melbourne that are truly topcoat worthy. And most days that are, are also wet. I'm not saying the topcoat doesn't have a place in a Melbourne wardrobe, I just don't think anyone should make it their priority.

Fair disclosure:this is written from the point of view of someone who doesn't feel the cold that badly. You skinny gents may beg to differ!

Yes I completely agree smile.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #31363 of 54974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post

Yes I completely agree smile.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Today, I wore a three quarter length raincoat, HC cashmere gloves and a cashmere scarf over my suit. Warmest I've ever been in weather like this.

The gloves are exceptional for me. Leather gloves have never kept me as warm as these cashmere gloves. I have them in navy and plan to get a pair in gray as well.

Tomorrow is expected to get even colder than today. I find that the cold by itself is OK but chilly winds get to me.
post #31364 of 54974
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

In that case, you need to be looking into one of these :P

Yes the cost is definitely the thing with topcoats. Just my opinion, but I reckon the first nice business coat you get should be waterproof, so that's it a bit more versatile (in rainy Melbourne). The lack of cheaply available waterproof topcoats (Loro Piana storm system is the only waterproof wool I am aware of, and anything made out of that is fiendishly expensive) leads me to believe the more widely available Mac is a better option for most people when starting out, given that your budget is better spent on suits and shirts, really. Big timers will, of course, own both.

Also most of us tend to go to work on PT, and topcoats can also leave you baking/bulky.

Happy to be corrected if anyone can point out a good source for them?

I'm not starting out and have an old top coat I want to replace.

Last time I looked Henry Bucks had them on sale mid year for about $800. Have never needed a waterproof one, umbrella takes care of that.

Can I wear the puffy shirt with the puffy coat?
post #31365 of 54974

Gentlemen,

 

I have an issue. I read Dian from Vanda's blog - usually because it's pretty interesting. At the moment she's posting photos of herself in a sports bra performing yoga. This is insane: I can't focus very well after seeing that.

 

I keep thinking "oh I wonder what type of fabri..... wow. Oh my.", then "oh hey work, I'm supposed to be.... must start yoga".

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members