or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2046

post #30676 of 57808
We've still got chocolate left over from Easter!
post #30677 of 57808
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post

Forum members who have recently become parents (Romp, HC, I'm looking at you): what are you doing/buying for Mother's Day? I need ideas...

 

 

family day out somewhere nice away from the "masses" with a yummy picnic hamper from http://sydneypicnic.com.au/

post #30678 of 57808

Guys, I really like Sruli Recht (and have for awhile).

 

I know it won't go over well, but if I could dress like this, I would:

 

post #30679 of 57808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post


Already been handed a list mate. Facial is at the top of it along with a massage.

 

I wish I could say something like this, and no one notice.

post #30680 of 57808
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

Lost my Chester Jefferies gloves on the bus the other day... devastating. I loved them. Someone is walking around with a nice and almost new pair... a bit disappointing that they didn't hand them in! Second hand unlined gloves are not something that I personally would want to wear... Oh well, at least they aren't *too* expensive to replace now that I have payed the first time bespoke fee.

I thought those new gardening gloves I got cheap from a bloke in Russell Street were a bit too thin.
post #30681 of 57808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

I just picked up some Rain last full brogues.
Wider in the fore-foot and more elegant than the simpson last but perhaps a smidge too wide for me (laces are tightened all the way) but heel is perfect (narrower than Robert last) for me.
either way its the best fitting Carmina last ive tried to date for my foot (ive now got simpson, robert, rain)

Romp - it would be useful you could explain a bit more about your feet and how the lasts fit for the benefit of many others. Not so much for meerkats and Carmen Mirandas but just in general.
Sketches of the outline of your footsees, description and a bit about high or low arches etc, and how different shaped lasts make a difference. It something a lot of people struggle with and it costs a lot of money to get it right.
post #30682 of 57808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post

Forum members who have recently become parents (Romp, HC, I'm looking at you): what are you doing/buying for Mother's Day? I need ideas...

As an old hand at this i would suggest cooking her a roast chicken dinner with a good bottle of Sav Blanc followed by Chocolate mouse.

This year as my son is working is the first time I wont have to buy her a mothers day gift. Aesop is always a good choice I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

Do you have a secret stash that isn't over-run by the ridiculous fruit forwardness common in much of the new world especially Australasia? baldy[1].gif
post #30683 of 57808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

we were going to bring out cords but the honest answer is we couldnt get the quality we wanted at a reasonable price point 

I always have trouble with cords. (I assume were are talking cotton cords here). Theres the ever present danger (and lets face it attraction) of the "alcoholic TAFE geography teacher /lecturer" look which can be hard to avoid but also the old man gardening garb problem.(possibly small variations of the same look).

What is quality in cords? I think its a rich luxurious hand even in a small wale or pincord.

I also have never figured out what it is technically that makes some cords attract fluff, cat fur and stuff and what stops them attracting. I know a high poly content will attract but Ive had expensive 100% cotton ones that look like the workplace hippy cat lady's TV watching pants.

I know cord is lacking in give and the best wearing cords I've had have a small % of elastic or stretch in them. But its hard to find such things.
post #30684 of 57808
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

Does anyone have a stake in, or know anyone who owns or runs any venues in/around the Melbourne city suitable for a stand-up oriented show? I'm looking for venue options to do a show in the Fringe Festival this year, provided I can get it together by then! Anyway, I don't need a big space, not even a nice one, just a space that'll help me break even and thought I'd put it out there in this community.

I know a few people who have done gigs. Unless you have a fairly high profile its best to start with a very cheap venue and minimise costs. Its hard to break even. Even.
You also need a team to hand out leaflets and spruik actively and with good humour on the streets at night etc. Being prepared to paper the room when you haven't sold tickets etc. Sharing a venue with a few acts of similar exposure can be handy. I know one bloke told me he'd have been better off busking for free and handing a hat around and getting known.
post #30685 of 57808
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

Does anyone have a stake in, or know anyone who owns or runs any venues in/around the Melbourne city suitable for a stand-up oriented show? I'm looking for venue options to do a show in the Fringe Festival this year, provided I can get it together by then! Anyway, I don't need a big space, not even a nice one, just a space that'll help me break even and thought I'd put it out there in this community.

My son's been involved in Fringe shows for a few years now. i'll ask him for you.
post #30686 of 57808
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post

Forum members who have recently become parents (Romp, HC, I'm looking at you): what are you doing/buying for Mother's Day? I need ideas...

Just remember you're setting a precedent. The amount you spend on her will determine how much gets spent on you in September.
post #30687 of 57808
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post


Romp - it would be useful you could explain a bit more about your feet and how the lasts fit for the benefit of many others. Not so much for meerkats and Carmen Mirandas but just in general.
Sketches of the outline of your footsees, description and a bit about high or low arches etc, and how different shaped lasts make a difference. It something a lot of people struggle with and it costs a lot of money to get it right.

 

shall i send you a 3-D rubber mould of my foot to play with?

post #30688 of 57808
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post

^^ Thanks, there seems to be a Boggi shop in London on Jermyn St--I'll be there in Sept, so I think I will add it to my list.

boggi is cheaper in italy if youre there, but if theres a sale then there should be good deals in london. check out suit supply when youre there as its pretty good for well priced menswear.
post #30689 of 57808

Saw a dapper man in his mid 20's maybe early 30's in Tom Ford in Parkville today. Wow those pockets are big. Works with the high peaked lapel, but wowzers. Looked great though!

 

I pointed it out, after the fact to the GF. She didn't even notice :(

post #30690 of 57808
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox81 View Post

boggi is cheaper in italy if youre there, but if theres a sale then there should be good deals in london. check out suit supply when youre there as its pretty good for well priced menswear.

Yep, I'm going to do those two, plus Uniqlo (mind you the Melbourne shop might be open by then) and Massimo Dutti.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members