or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2038

post #30556 of 51908
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post


I didn't really like them but the colour was nicer than online pics. I'll go back and have a check on the size - I might be wrong - you want them?

 



If he doesn't I do! ;)

post #30557 of 51908

Question - calling on Servaggo, Pop, fxh and the greats...

 

I've been looking at the fashion of the italian industrialists of late - the di Montezemolos, Elkanns etc - despite their fabuous enormous wealth they seem to get around like most italians with a black and navy knit, white pocket square and the occasional wedding tie for very formal occasions.

My question is, if this is all you owned could that take your average businessman everywhere without being staid?

I've considered doing this myself - my only concern is getting away with knits as a CBD lawyer. 

 

Obligatory pics:

 

post #30558 of 51908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Question - calling on Servaggo, Pop, fxh and the greats...

 

I've been looking at the fashion of the italian industrialists of late - the di Montezemolos, Elkanns etc - despite their fabuous enormous wealth they seem to get around like most italians with a black and navy knit, white pocket square and the occasional wedding tie for very formal occasions.

My question is, if this is all you owned could that take your average businessman everywhere without being staid?

I've considered doing this myself - my only concern is getting away with knits as a CBD lawyer. 

 

Obligatory pics:

 

 

 

 

 

i wouldn't rock a knit tie in a courtroom since its supposed to be formal and very much toned down, but at the office it's fine.

post #30559 of 51908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Question - calling on Servaggo, Pop, fxh and the greats...

I've been looking at the fashion of the italian industrialists of late - the di Montezemolos, Elkanns etc - despite their fabuous enormous wealth they seem to get around like most italians with a black and navy knit, white pocket square and the occasional wedding tie for very formal occasions.


My question is, if this is all you owned could that take your average businessman everywhere without being staid?


I've considered doing this myself - my only concern is getting away with knits as a CBD lawyer. 

Obligatory pics:


Italian business style is more than 50 shades of navy, especially if you're throwing Lapo in there.

From my experience the Italians adopt the "background" of navy suit, tie and light blue shirt as a conservative backdrop to highlight their actual eccentricity (e.g. a pair of brown suede monkstraps, or in the case of your example, the world's largest lapels). It's saying 'I'm so much of a character I don't need to shout it out' but if you look carefully there will be something discordant with a northern European CBD outfit. Also, this seems to be a trait of a certain generation, and I haven't seen it that often worn by men of less than 30 or older than 45. I suggest you watch the Italian news to get an idea of how real significant Italians dress, aside from the blogosphere.

As for it's applicability in Australia... Well I can't imagine too many people will get it. It's a very Italian-specific mode of dress. You'd be sending a signal not many aussies are well equipped to receive, let alone interpret.
post #30560 of 51908
Presuming you have seen this - http://italianindustrialist.tumblr.com/ - but just in case you (or other interested parties) have not thought I would post it. His other sites especially milstil.tumblr.com

In short, yes you can get by (and do well) with the II uniform but as PoP refers to it is about adding character via texture, shape, whatever to get a style that reflects you.

For that reason, you (generically) should not be afraid of some colour, if that suits (pink socks for some, bright orange tie or tan monkstraps for others).

That said, the EthanDesu/Lnsee uniform (http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.tumblr.com/post/21344433579/variations-of-the-ethandesu-lnsee-uniform), the II uniform and others are smart, effective and simple. Very reliable, fit most occasions and are the foundation of a wardrobe (just do not fear things outside these if you like them or they work for you).
post #30561 of 51908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post

Presuming you have seen this - http://italianindustrialist.tumblr.com/ - but just in case you (or other interested parties) have not thought I would post it. His other sites especially milstil.tumblr.com

In short, yes you can get by (and do well) with the II uniform but as PoP refers to it is about adding character via texture, shape, whatever to get a style that reflects you.

For that reason, you (generically) should not be afraid of some colour, if that suits (pink socks for some, bright orange tie or tan monkstraps for others).

That said, the EthanDesu/Lnsee uniform (http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.tumblr.com/post/21344433579/variations-of-the-ethandesu-lnsee-uniform), the II uniform and others are smart, effective and simple. Very reliable, fit most occasions and are the foundation of a wardrobe (just do not fear things outside these if you like them or they work for you).

Lol I had a typo
milstin.tumblr.com
Was a bit confused for a sec
post #30562 of 51908

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

First day at the office for the new purchase. Carmina Brown Punched Captoes on Simpson last from the Armoury. Very happy with the fit, styling and price. Ive been lusting over these since discovering SF....

post #30563 of 51908
Great shoes. They are my favourite pair of shoes and very comfortable. Enjoy them.
post #30564 of 51908
Quote:
Originally Posted by azif View Post

Lol I had a typo
milstin.tumblr.com
Was a bit confused for a sec

Ha, yes a little different. Good if you want style tips from Justin Timberlake but I will still to milstil.tumblr.com
post #30565 of 51908
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasricher View Post

First day at the office for the new purchase. Carmina Brown Punched Captoes on Simpson last from the Armoury. Very happy with the fit, styling and price. Ive been lusting over these since discovering SF....
Yeah very nice. Simpson last is a smidge tight for me in an oxford but Im wearing my robert lasted ones today -


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Suit: Herringbone Sydney
Shirt: Cottonwork
Tie: Henry Carter Neckwear 7 fold silk/wool
Cardi: Zara
PS: Henry Carter Irish Linen
Shoes: Carmina
post #30566 of 51908

Thanks. they are a little tight across the vamp but so were my meermins and they loosened. I have another pair of Carminas cming (a navy shell wholecut on the rain last MTO) so will be able to compare a couple of different lasts.

 

Just need to inmprove my winter wardrobe now. Mobving to canberra has meant i am vastly unerprepared for winter so need a few knits to keep me going.

post #30567 of 51908
^^ get in touch with HC, Geoffrey Firmin and Marbles now that you're in Canberra. Met up with them late last year when I was visiting C City. All top guys.
post #30568 of 51908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfudge View Post

Hi guys

I recently went to Brice's in Sydney to get some shoes resoled. The work was pretty decent (replaced the leather soles, restitched and added some steel toe caps) and the turnaround was great, but I'm a bit disappointed by the attention to detail. The edge dressing has been really sloppily applied, the upper has paint up to a cm from the sole, and there are also a few nicks in the upper from what I assumed was the stitching machine. Is this par for the course, or did I get unlucky? They were not an expensive pair, but I don't feel super confident about going back with a favourite.

Even though owned by the same family as the Strand Arcade aka Coombes not the same level.
post #30569 of 51908
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasricher View Post

Thanks. they are a little tight across the vamp but so were my meermins and they loosened. I have another pair of Carminas cming (a navy shell wholecut on the rain last MTO) so will be able to compare a couple of different lasts.

 

Just need to inmprove my winter wardrobe now. Mobving to canberra has meant i am vastly unerprepared for winter so need a few knits to keep me going.

 

Just wondering, how are people are individually ordering their Carmina MTOs, as in not through a group of people?

Directly from Carmina, or through Epaulet / The Armoury?

post #30570 of 51908
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

^^ get in touch with HC, Geoffrey Firmin and Marbles now that you're in Canberra. Met up with them late last year when I was visiting C City. All top guys.
Yeah we haven't had a meet up actually since you were here, but should soon when winter kicks in.
But my wife and wishiwasrichers wife actually know each other already. That's Canberra for you....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members