or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 2009

post #30121 of 57219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGold View Post

Recently there was a reprint of a great article by Cary Grant in GQ:

"Don't be a snob about the way you dress. Snobbery is only a point in time. Be tolerant and helpful to the other fellow—he is yourself yesterday."

http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201304/cary-grant-on-style?currentPage=1


Lol! This is so relevant to this thread (no sarcasm).

Good post Ari.
I think, for the most part, CG's sentiments are embodied in this thread. Less so other parts of the forum...
post #30122 of 57219
Cary Grant was an LSD fiend.
post #30123 of 57219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGold View Post

Recently there was a reprint of a great article by Cary Grant in GQ:

"Don't be a snob about the way you dress. Snobbery is only a point in time. Be tolerant and helpful to the other fellow—he is yourself yesterday."

http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201304/cary-grant-on-style?currentPage=1

this is a great article

post #30124 of 57219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGold View Post

Recently there was a reprint of a great article by Cary Grant in GQ:

"Don't be a snob about the way you dress. Snobbery is only a point in time. Be tolerant and helpful to the other fellow—he is yourself yesterday."

http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201304/cary-grant-on-style?currentPage=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

this is a great article

+1. Lots of good stuff in there and it's a pity that GQ don't publish articles like that anymore and also that they don't pay attention to what Grant says in the article!

"...I've purchased dozens of suits over the years and they all have one attribute in common: they are in the middle of fashion. By that I mean they're not self-consciously fashionable or far out, nor are they overly conservative or dated. In other words, the lapels are neither too wide nor too narrow, the trousers neither too tight nor too loose, the coats neither too short nor too long.

...

Otherwise, simplicity, to me, has always been the essence of good taste.

I believe men's clothes—like women's—should attract attention to the best lines of a man's figure and distract from the worst. In all cases, the most reliable style is in the middle of the road—a thoughtful sensible position in any human behavior.

...so it should be with clothes. They should be undisturbing, easy and comfortable."
post #30125 of 57219
The Lucky Culture

Interview with author Nick Cater

http://video.theaustralian.com.au/2380588030/The-Lucky-Culture-under-threat
post #30126 of 57219
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post

The Lucky Culture

Interview with author Nick Cater

http://video.theaustralian.com.au/2380588030/The-Lucky-Culture-under-threat

He is also speaking on LNL tonight.
post #30127 of 57219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

Nice trous HC, I have a midweight pair in a similar fabric. They look fantastic with a pale blue shirt and a navy blazer, a good alternative to grey pants in that context, though generally I find them much less versatile than grey. I also imagine they would go well with the rust wool tie you're bringing out, if I'm imagining that correctly.

I love me some brown trou. Every wardrobe needs a pair. The HY nailhead in brown are great, but a more saturated brown like HC's are also awesome. A big plus is you can wear them with a grey SC (or more likely, a grey jumper or cardigan). They're less versatile than grey trousers, but more versatile than navy (which I also like).
post #30128 of 57219
Gents

I recently bought a Billy Reid pea coat online that I now need to have tailored – even though I bought a size small, it needs to be taken in at the waist and more generally ‘slimmed down’. I was hoping someone would have some recommendations for a good tailor in Melbourne somewhere? CBD would be ideal, but happy to consider alternatives if I am assured a good job.

Also, the time has come to invest in some new business shirts. I usually have a lot of trouble finding shirts that fit me well (a slim 38 fits me well in the body, but I struggle to button them up – I have a fat neck, thanks dad). I recall reading on here that someone recently went to a tailor in Melbourne that took measurements, and then sent the shirts off overseas to be made. I cannot for the life of my remember the name of the place, nor can I can find it now. Can anyone help out? I think it may have started with an ‘N’ (and it wasn’t P. Johnson).

I think an e-MTM business is the way for me to go, but I’m keen to get professionally measured first so that I don’t royally fuck up the sizing. Would love to hear what avenues others have taken. If worst comes to worst, I do have a shirt that fits relatively well, so I could send that off to Modern Tailor or CottonWork etc.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

PS I’m pretty sure I now need to buy that purple dot and grey wool HC ties, my wallet thanks you.
post #30129 of 57219
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ernesto View Post

Cary Grant was an LSD fiend.

I don't think we should go there in front of the children!
post #30130 of 57219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

I don't think we should go there in front of the children!

lol. OK, we'll leave it there.
post #30131 of 57219
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

Jas, I've always been on the fence about a purple pindot tie.

When I saw the same on your webstore, and at that steep a discount, I only had to think for about 2 milliseconds. Looking forward to giving it a go.
Thanks Nabil, yes it's one from our first season when I hadn't quite gotten buying qty's right and ended up with a lot! It's a lovely tie though you'll enjoy it. Just released a brown version in 7 fold last night too for this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

Nice trous HC, I have a midweight pair in a similar fabric. They look fantastic with a pale blue shirt and a navy blazer, a good alternative to grey pants in that context, though generally I find them much less versatile than grey. I also imagine they would go well with the rust wool tie you're bringing out, if I'm imagining that correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post

I love me some brown trou. Every wardrobe needs a pair. The HY nailhead in brown are great, but a more saturated brown like HC's are also awesome. A big plus is you can wear them with a grey SC (or more likely, a grey jumper or cardigan). They're less versatile than grey trousers, but more versatile than navy (which I also like).

They are nice aren't they, I'm actually taking them back to the tailor this arvo though as they need a few little tweaks on the waist and length and cuff height. They'll get a flogging over winter though. These will likely be my last pair of HY now that I'm developing a small range for release in Spring so will have plenty of samples to wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjamesdean View Post

Gents

I recently bought a Billy Reid pea coat online that I now need to have tailored – even though I bought a size small, it needs to be taken in at the waist and more generally ‘slimmed down’. I was hoping someone would have some recommendations for a good tailor in Melbourne somewhere? CBD would be ideal, but happy to consider alternatives if I am assured a good job.

Also, the time has come to invest in some new business shirts. I usually have a lot of trouble finding shirts that fit me well (a slim 38 fits me well in the body, but I struggle to button them up – I have a fat neck, thanks dad). I recall reading on here that someone recently went to a tailor in Melbourne that took measurements, and then sent the shirts off overseas to be made. I cannot for the life of my remember the name of the place, nor can I can find it now. Can anyone help out? I think it may have started with an ‘N’ (and it wasn’t P. Johnson).

I think an e-MTM business is the way for me to go, but I’m keen to get professionally measured first so that I don’t royally fuck up the sizing. Would love to hear what avenues others have taken. If worst comes to worst, I do have a shirt that fits relatively well, so I could send that off to Modern Tailor or CottonWork etc.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

PS I’m pretty sure I now need to buy that purple dot and grey wool HC ties, my wallet thanks you.

I'm going to advise you to be careful getting proffessionally measured, myself and Richard from Ludlows had this exact same discussion the other day actually. The problem you will encounter, is that one guy's measurements are interpreted differently to the next guy, professional or not. You are much better off, if the system allows for it to take measurements from your best fitting shirt and alter them as you need rather than body measurements. Add a bit to the neck and whatever else you need to do and play it by ear. I've spoken to people that have done it both ways and the shirt measurements seem to get a better result sooner with less tweaking.

Thanks for considering my ties also.
post #30132 of 57219
Agree with PoP that this thread is generally one of the most friendly and helpful. Us Aussies are generally a nice bunch!

On another note my japanese friend was showing me his tie collection, which i showed to my colleagues. Co-incidentally, at lunch I found the tie that was the favourite among the discussion - at Myer... funny that. Copped!

post #30133 of 57219
A couple of other Brisbane SF members and I took a look at the newly-opened Zegna store in Brisbane city today.

The store itself was very nice - very well furnished and a pleasant place. Whilst generally fairly austere and minimalist in its furnishings (wooden floors, fairly light-coloured wooden display racks and shelves), it also had a large fireplace upstairs made out of what appeared to be green marble (or a similar stone).

Whilst some of the clothes on offer were lovely, they were (predictably) very expensive. A jacket in a deceptively light, summery fabric in a gunclub check pattern was priced at about $2500 and suits were even more.

The store had some nice Zegna "fatte a mano" shoes, including a pair of Belgian loafers in dark green pony hair (which should actually be called "cow hair", rather than "pony hair", as it's made from cowhide with the hair (is that the right term?) of the cow still attached). I didn't check the prices, as I'm sure that they were horrendously expensive.
post #30134 of 57219
Zegna blows.
post #30135 of 57219
While we're doing store reviews, walking around town the other day I stumbled across Andrew McDonald's new shop in The Strand. Sadly for most of the gents here it was almost exclusively fashion/stage type shoes (not something I'd ever dream of wearing) but he had a couple of conservative styles on sale:



By far the majority was more like this though:



Anyway, he's taken up three shops in The Strand so someone must be buying his stuff... Alas, if only Double Monk would open a Sydney store!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members